Trading in your VW TDI? What will be your next car

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Probably a CPO BMW diesel X5. I need something with more ground clearance, all wheel drive, and the ability to move around some bulkier items. Don't want a pickup truck.

air1mtt

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI: took buyout, 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI: took buyout
2017 Forester. Going practical in my old age

Alyson

TDI
2011 Golf
At first I was going to keep my 2011 Golf TDI. However I drive for uber and Houston has an age limit and mileage limit on cars used for uber. Then I saw how much I would get to do the buyback. I will never see that kind of money again for my car. My first choice to replace my Golf TDI was a Tesla. Unfortunately, that is too expensive for my budget. So I am currently looking into a Toyota Prius. That 50 mpg is something I can't ignore. I also just got a low ball offer for my TDI in the mail today from a local VW dealer. Sorry Charlie I am going to wait for the official buy back.

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I've seen similar statements on the forums here. Seems likely. Do you think VW really wants to give Jimbob at the local VW/Audi/Ford/Kia/Gator dealer a chance to muck this up and drive away customers forever?
Now that I've given it further thought, it actually makes sense. Keep it in-house (VWoA) so the process is handled consistently for each buyback, and to accurately track the number of buybacks for record keeping. To keep the process 'clean', they shouldn't mix it up with a purchase deal.

OlyJetta

TDI
2010 Sportwagen -sold-
The Buyback is Questionable

Okay, I registered for the buyback. But I'm disappointed that the trade-in value, not the fair market value is being used. I think the consumer is yet again getting the short end of the stick.

My 2010 Sportwagen has a higher fair market value in August of 2016 than a trade-in value in September of 2015.

Let's say, for sake of example that there isn't an emissions scandal;

I trade my TDI in at a dealer. They give me equivalent trade-in value. They then sell the car at fair market value. The dealer gains.

Sure, we are also getting additional funds for our troubles, but I had not planned on spending time, energy and money finding something that is comparable to my TDI SW, which is not possible.

I went ahead and sent a letter to the U.S. Assistant Attorney General's office with my complaint regarding the valuation of our cars.

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
At first I was going to keep my 2011 Golf TDI. However I drive for uber and Houston has an age limit and mileage limit on cars used for uber. Then I saw how much I would get to do the buyback. I will never see that kind of money again for my car. My first choice to replace my Golf TDI was a Tesla. Unfortunately, that is too expensive for my budget. So I am currently looking into a Toyota Prius. That 50 mpg is something I can't ignore. I also just got a low ball offer for my TDI in the mail today from a local VW dealer. Sorry Charlie I am going to wait for the official buy back.
Look at the Chevy Cruze Diesel. That is if you want to stay in the diesel market. Not a GM fan myself but worth a look. ;)

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
My replacement will be a 2016 Audi Q5 TDI. I found one with the technology package and the color I wanted at a MN dealer with 28xx miles. It's off a three month lease which makes it technically a used car that a dealer can sell. I'm flying to MN Friday to pick it up and drive it home.

BBD

TDI
Not Yet
moving up to either a 2017 Benz E Class or the Jaguar XF haven't made up my mind yet or test drove.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Wifey eyed a new '16 Tiguan and the party was over. I'll give her some credit as she test drove just about everything out there and the Tiguan caught her eye... And my checkbook.:eek:

Now we get to decide what to do with two Passats. I'm leaning toward keeping one at least for the winter and dumping the other as soon as VW gets their ducks in order.

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
I just picked up a new Malibu Hybrid after much searching. This thing was not even on my radar. I just went over to the Chevy dealer to see what they had used and to look at the Corvettes. Once I told the used salesman what I was looking to replace, he said "New Malibu", and took me right to a new car salesman.
I had just driven a Subaru Crosstrek. It sucked. Typical horrible seats of many Asian cars and had hardly any options even though it was "loaded" and no power. The engine screams and it barely moves. Too bad, I like the way they look and they are rated to get okay MPG.
There is nothing that replaces the Passat TDI. One of my criteria was the same size back seat and close legroom in the rear. I also wanted something with the same power and MPG if possible.
Everything was smaller except a couple things and until the Malibu, nothing had the same MPG without being a Prius or smaller car.
The only viable options I could find were a Hybrid Avalon and the Malibu Hybrid.
Avalon hybrid:
You will lose the fold down back seat
Lose MPG, only rated 39/40 and it will suffer more agressive driving
Expensive, 40k+ with options
Towing would surely be worse for MPG especially
You can get oodles more options
It does drive well and seems comfortable
Toyota's in general are super reliable
This was about my only possible choice until I ran across the Malibu

Malibu hybrid:
You give up some trunk space and the pass thru of the back seats is not as big. The Battery takes up some space between the coil spring towers.
That is about the only compromise.
You can get way more options for the money
If you hurry and search hard you can find one with a GM bonus tag (+16% off) along with other discounts and negotiations
Gets better MPG!
Faster!
Has more torque and HP than the Passat
7's for 0-60 and 15's for the 1/4 with 277 ft/lbs with the electric motor boosting
Basically uses the Volt setup with a smaller battery, but a bigger engine.
It will also suffer some MPG off the 46/47 MPG rating with aggressive driving, but still for it's size beats everything else and does as good as the Passat.
I just did a 46 mile commute and it got 42.5 mpg with a good portion of the drive at 80 mph and it is somewhat hilly here. I am sure I could achieve the rated MPG if I stay in the slow lane and let everyone fly past me :)
Shorter range due to smaller tank, but on par with Jetta.
you can tell it does not have the German build quality, but it is nice and fancier looking.
Ride is not as good as the Passat to me, but its good enough.
Seats are comfortable, but you can tell the ergonomics of things are just shy of the Passat. My gas pedal foot does not rest as comfortable and the volume is on the wrong side of the steering wheel (all the GM have them on the back right). My main driving hand is left.
I got one heck of a deal. I got one with every single option and got lucky to find one with the GM Bonus tag discount, great dealer discount, down payment assistance (-$500), etc. The MSRP was $34,170. I drove it away for $25,297.50 including the doc fees (about $200) and they gave me an extra $500 off because I found a scratch on the bumper that most people would not notice. They also bought me some touch up paint.
This thing makes the Passat or Jetta look archaic as far as tech goes.
Lane assist (adjusts the steering wheel if your veering unintentionally)
front and rear parking assistance
collision detection and warning
Teen driving mode
Phone projection
USB hookups,12v cigarette style connections, and 110VAC
Induction charging pocket for cell phone
Huge sunroof that goes into the back area also.
8" touch screen
Color high res info screen in cluster
Wi-fi
Nav
blind spot detection
Back up cam and the lines curve with the steering wheel
Power drivers and pass seat (heated too)
Ambient LED lighting
Keyless push button start
If you walk up to the door with the keyfob in your pocket, there is a button on the handle that unlocks without using the fob.
Remote start
You can access and control certain functions and sensor etc from the web or a phone app. Start and stop the car, lock and unlock the doors, check tire pressures, tells you if there are any codes in the various computers, shows your trip meters, fuel left and range, oil life etc.
It give tons of info on what the car is doing as far as where it is sending power, regening, etc.
Every time you stop it pops up a report of the mileage you did that trip and what MPG you received.
Everything works off voice commands, texting, navigation, radio/satellite station selection, etc.
The bluetooth calling works even better than the VW which I always thought was better than the other cars I tried in the past.
This was the first car I looked at that even peeked my interest other than a mild interest in the Avalon. it had everything I needed to replaced the Passat.
I suspect these things will go like hot cakes once people find out more about them and get their checks. I did not want to get caught up in the 400K mess of people looking for cars when the checks come in and this was such a great deal that I bought it. They actually sold it the day before, but financing fell through. It was already prepped for delivery when I got there. The ones with the bonus tags go fast if you find one.
It has more cool features and gadgets than I listed here. I would recommend you drive one if your in the market. I know it is a Chevy, but....
I now get to pay less for fuel also, forgot to add that bonus. No urea either to buy and I think fluid changes will be cheaper. The sales guy did throw in a coupon book for 6 extra changes of oil and some rotations along with the two you get standard.

Anyway, now my Passat sits waiting to be bought back, but I might put some more miles on it. There is about 3500 more miles left before I move to a different buy back price.

Oh, I did drive a GLK250 Bluetec and it was tiny. Could not even think about spending 29k on a used one of those to get 33 MPG. I also looked at the 328D, 335D, E250, etc. Too many problems with most of these. You end up losing everything you gain. The EPA stuff just kills these diesels. Every MFG seems to have problems with DPF, carbon buildup, etc. I love diesels, but I just could not find anything worth messing with. I will check back when VW starts selling a new body diesel version of the Passat...if they ever do.

I did also consider just getting a fun car like a Cayman S, 135i, Corvette, etc, but decided it was not wise or practical for my scenario.

Also, You can get one up from the base model of the Malibu in a turbo 4 cyl for 20kish if you find the right one with a bonus tag. That would get you 37MPG and have about as many options as an SE Passat. Just thought I would throw that out if your looking to not spend any more than your getting back.

Last edited:

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
Keeping mine. They offered what I thought was huge. $22k+. But I'll get $6,200+ to keep it. Only 46k on the car. It's an awesome car. Will we see TDIs again? It gets 41 mpg average. Why sell it?

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
Keeping mine. They offered what I thought was huge. $22k+. But I'll get $6,200+ to keep it. Only 46k on the car. It's an awesome car. Will we see TDIs again? It gets 41 mpg average. Why sell it?
You might not still get 41mpg if you keep it.
You might use more urea.
You might lose HP and torque.
They might not even get an approved fix.
When you do sell it, it could have diminished value from normal.
It will probably be scrutinized by government agencies more harshly than other cars and may or may not require extra testing or at least proof you had the fix to get it licensed.
It seems the longer you drive it to decide that they might pay less based on mileage.

No one knows the above statements for sure I guess.

I was about to keep mine as well after looking and not finding anything else as good until I finally found a viable option. I still love it and would not think about selling it if not for this scandal and all the unknowns to come. I will be watching for new TDI's to come out, but for now I am going to sell and get out of the hassles. I did also just replace an adblue heater in a 2013 Passat at 76k and found out it is common and not covered by emissions warranty. Dealer charges a fortune for the repair even though you can do it yourself much much cheaper....
I am getting tired of all this extra stuff they are adding to the diesels for emissions. It is becoming a joke and making them way less reliable with too much to fail. The trucks are suffering the same pains.

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
We have no testing where I live
Must be nice. Hopefully this does not usher something in or they don't decide to ask for proof. If you don't get the fix and there is no federal mandate you will keep your benefits. Many times I sell my cars to out of state buyers though, then that could cause problems.
Let's hope the fix is not too harsh either way.....
The bad thing is, how can they do any long term testing to see how the fix affects reliability or engine life etc.

Last edited:

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I just picked up a new Malibu Hybrid after much searching. This thing was not even on my radar. I just went over to the Chevy dealer to see what they had used and to look at the Corvettes. Once I told the used salesman what I was looking to replace, he said "New Malibu", and took me right to a new car salesman.
I had just driven a Subaru Crosstrek. It sucked. Typical horrible seats of many Asian cars and had hardly any options even though it was "loaded" and no power. The engine screams and it barely moves. Too bad, I like the way they look and they are rated to get okay MPG.
There is nothing that replaces the Passat TDI. One of my criteria was the same size back seat and close legroom in the rear. I also wanted something with the same power and MPG if possible.
Everything was smaller except a couple things and until the Malibu, nothing had the same MPG without being a Prius or smaller car.
The only viable options I could find were a Hybrid Avalon and the Malibu Hybrid.
Avalon hybrid:
You will lose the fold down back seat
Lose MPG, only rated 39/40 and it will suffer more agressive driving
Expensive, 40k+ with options
Towing would surely be worse for MPG especially
You can get oodles more options
It does drive well and seems comfortable
Toyota's in general are super reliable
This was about my only possible choice until I ran across the Malibu

Thanks for sharing, I was hoping the Subaru would be an option. I've seen a few around but have not ridden in one. Moving on... :-(

And I really don't think I could buy another Chevy. I hope it works out for you, but I just don't like the brand/quality/etc.

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
I have owned lots of Chevy's, but never a new one before and I think I only had 2 without a V8. I do all my own work, have all the tools and a lift, so it is not a huge deal keeping one in good shape. They do seem fairly easy to work on. I also just got an MDI and the ability to do all the dealer level diagnostics and programming. The parts are plentiful and cheaper too. The funny thing is, I now have 2 Chevy's (Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 & Malibu) and a car I am building with a Chevy Motor (LS376 - Brunton Stalker XL). You cannot beat their V8's.
I just could not pass up the price for what you get with the Malibu. I do think they did a great job with this Hybrid so far. I have a few hundred miles on it already. No complaints from the kids in the rear so far either since the back seat is not smaller. They do like the extra large moon roof. They never asked me to open the one in the Passat.
I did drive my Passat to work today because I need to pick up some water softener salt on the way home. Might as well use the old workhorse until I hit the mileage limit. I have to say, driving one after the other, I might actually like the seats in the Chevy better. They seam softer and they can be adjusted down lower. I do still think the Passat might have a better ride and it does not seem to have suffered at all even being close to 97k miles. I think the accelerator pedal position might be better in the Passat.
I get to pay about 30 cents a gallon less now and still get the same MPG, which is kinda nice though.
If the price does not scare you or the non folding down rear seat, the Avalon is a very nice car. The Limited is very nice with the ventilated seats and stuff. I think you might be able to get a 1 or 2 year old one more reasonable though. Too bad it doesn't seem to match the Malibu in MPG. It does match it in performance though and it may ride better (cannot remember for sure). If I had not discovered the Malibu and found the bonus tag pricing, it would probably still be between one of those or keeping the Passat and hoping for the best.
Yeah, the Subaru idea died for me in about a 1 mile test drive rather quickly. It would be tough to sit in that thing for 2 hours a day after being spoiled with German ergonomics.
I never could get comfortable in any Honda's either. I have had many Civics and a first gen Insight and a couple Odysseys (2005 & 2013), and never liked any of the seats. I did not drive any Honda's this time because there are none with a comparable back seat to the Passat.

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
Forester? Stronger engine (2.5L or turbo vs. 2.0), more cargo space, same price.
I suppose if your going to give up even more on MPG (24/32) it will open up some new options, but one of the main reasons I love the TDI is that I drive 500+ miles a week. It's not so bad now I guess, but sub $2 gas probably wont last forever. I drove one as a rental once when my Passat was getting something (Subaru/VW dealer) and I did not like it, but everyone is different. The only way to know is try one. I would just say that anyone considering the buyback should get out there and drive some stuff before there is a rush....I just don't see how there is not going to be one, but I could be wrong.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
Fooling the epa for six or seven years is worth a lot of points to me!

I admire VW for the ingenious software that identified the test mode and cut emissions and produced power and fuel efficiency when driving.

luftwaffles

TDI
Sold
I suppose if your going to give up even more on MPG (24/32) it will open up some new options, but one of the main reasons I love the TDI is that I drive 500+ miles a week. It's not so bad now I guess, but sub $2 gas probably wont last forever. I drove one as a rental once when my Passat was getting something (Subaru/VW dealer) and I did not like it, but everyone is different. The only way to know is try one. I would just say that anyone considering the buyback should get out there and drive some stuff before there is a rush....I just don't see how there is not going to be one, but I could be wrong.
I don't drive nearly as much as you. I can see why you would want something with better mileage. I just thought I'd mention it since you guys were talking about the Crosstrek. We all know that gas prices will inevitably go up, so you might as well plan appropriately now.

For me, I'll be moving to a place with mountains and fire roads and hopefully no long commute. So you can see why something with robust AWD and more ground clearance is appealing to me. :D

HARd_NOx_LIFe

TDI
2009 JSW manual
I love the cockpit design of my 'Mark 5' generation 2009 Jetta Sportwagen. On the day that I test drove both 'Mark 5' and 'Mark 6' JSWs at a VW dealership, I immediately sensed that the 'Mark 5' cockpit felt more spacious and was more asthetically appealing to my eye than the 'Mark 6' cockpit. Especially the steering wheel. The shape of that 'Mark 5' steering wheel exudes 'classic'. And those red and blue lights in the 'Mark 5' dashboard make me go "ahhhhhhhh" everytime I turn on the ignition.

In Europe, the '09 JSW is called a 'Golf Estate'. And, the 'Mark 5' generation Golf hatchbacks in Europe are called here in the States ...'Rabbits'. The '09 JSW and the '06 to '09 Rabbits all share the 'Mark 5' cockpit design (and the 'Mark 5' GTI too).

Consumer Reports has identified the '07 to '09 Rabbit to be a "reliable used car" (April 2015 issue).

If VW fails to produce a fix for my MUCH BELOVED diesel '09 JSW, I will be replacing it with an '07 to '09 Rabbit, manual, 2-door, w/heated seats for a purchase price of around 6 or 7K.

And, I have a set of snows on alloy rims for my JSW that will fit on a Rabbit.

Fuelly shows average mpg of Rabbit to be 26 (ouch!), but that is on par with a Kia Soul (now I feel better).

Last edited:

rdtompki

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon TDI
We have a 2015 TDI Sportwagen. VWs offer is so good that I'll be giving it back. A 2017 gas Sportwagen is a contender, but we're looking at other options. Some cars such as the Ford Escape look bigger, but it doesn't show up inside the car. if we don't find a slightly larger vehicle we will stick with a Sportwagen.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
After a month of ownership and 2,500 miles, I'm still thrilled with my Mk7 GTI. Fit and finish is superb, no rattles, quiet as a mouse cruising 75 mph, roomy as all get out for a Golf model, flawless beautiful paint. VW really nailed it with the MQB platform. Also nice to pay $22.7k for a car with a sticker of $28.9k. Dieselgate has VW giving away the gassers during the MY16 closeout.

Tankbuster

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Love my TDI

Love the TDI, it's been an excellent car with the 6 speed manual have always gotten 41 to 52 mpg depending on the time of the year. Love the exterior German car look and design. Plus really like the interior form follows function business style dash. I drive over 500 miles each week and dash design is very important to me and I just can't stand the look of many dashes that look like they captured a alien space ship inspired design. It's a 2011 with 118k miles now and has never had to have any work done, I have always changed the oil and fuel filter myself. But, on the other hand it's getting close to the timing belt change and getting a little worried about a big ticket item going out so not real sure what to do. I do like the 2016 1.4t Jetta's, it's a new engine but seems to be well designed and pretty good mpg. Just don't know yet! Anybody have experience with the 2016 1.4t Jetta?

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Love the TDI, it's been an excellent car with the 6 speed manual have always gotten 41 to 52 mpg depending on the time of the year. Love the exterior German car look and design. Plus really like the interior form follows function business style dash. I drive over 500 miles each week and dash design is very important to me and I just can't stand the look of many dashes that look like they captured a alien space ship inspired design. It's a 2011 with 118k miles now and has never had to have any work done, I have always changed the oil and fuel filter myself. But, on the other hand it's getting close to the timing belt change and getting a little worried about a big ticket item going out so not real sure what to do. I do like the 2016 1.4t Jetta's, it's a new engine but seems to be well designed and pretty good mpg. Just don't know yet! Anybody have experience with the 2016 1.4t Jetta?
I like mine. Plenty of power, and decent MPG's. Best so far was 46.4 MPG IIRC, driving from Lincoln NE to the Oklahoma City area. Just drove from Texas up to Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks, then back to Oregon, and averaged over 40 MPG most tanks.

hkbladelawhk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI
Given the amount of money to be gained from either the buyback or the fix, the buyback makes more sense to me. 7k pocketed. If they were to try to fix my dpf removed car, it would likely not work.

Part of me wants a 2016 TDI for be new tech if I can grab one. Otherwise potentially a gti.

I'd definitely miss the mileage if I went to gas, and I've loved my car. Decisions decisions.

hkbladelawhk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI
After a month of ownership and 2,500 miles, I'm still thrilled with my Mk7 GTI. Fit and finish is superb, no rattles, quiet as a mouse cruising 75 mph, roomy as all get out for a Golf model, flawless beautiful paint. VW really nailed it with the MQB platform. Also nice to pay $22.7k for a car with a sticker of $28.9k. Dieselgate has VW giving away the gassers during the MY16 closeout.
This. I want the autobahn edition. I'm not getting younger and I've never owned a sporty car as all mine have been TDIs. What mileage do you get?