Ventectomy -- New guy's first mod!

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, highline, 6MT, multimedia, plat grey metallic
Still seems down. Looked manually in the photo section and could only find 8 other pics in his album. Gone?

Ghost96

TDI
2005 Charcoal Grey Jetta TDI PD
Here they are

I've had problems with sites being down as well. I have a copy of the pics all zipped here in an easy-to-see order based on the site that hosted them before.

I'll keep them available here unless the author has a problem with it. It's there for convenience. If it upsets anyone, I'll remove them immediately. Site is hosted and up 24x7x365 so if there are any problems, lemme know.

Click here for the ventectomy pics

ScorpionBoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
hmmm. i seem to recall that you don't have the vent. look inside your filler neck to see it there is a lever in there which you would push on to vent.

oguzooz

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2012 JSW TDI
GLOWPLUGS need help

aight i posted this a few weeks ago and no one could answer it. it just popped back into my head when i rough started this morning.

i need to replace the glowplug fuse/ fuse box. and maybe wiring. does anyone know what the holders part number is? and what fuse it is?

thanks for your help.

Hookey

TDI
2005 Beetle
Fuel Gauge off

Does anyone else have a fuel gauge that is out of calibration? Mine is about two notches below full when I squeeze in all I can (without pushing the black button that I assume is the vent). I can put in 12 plus gallons max when the needle is at bottom. This makes me think it needs reset. Talked to the dealer and they considered it an adjustment and would not cover under warranty since more than 12 months old.

Not a big deal - just wanted to know if anyone else has the problem. Is there a way to set myself?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
There is a reserve level recalibration you can do that should have the same effect. That is, unless the fuel level sender in your tank is shot.

Sorry I don't have the url for you; I'm a lazy bum. Someday I'll figure out how to use that. In the meantime, search for reserve level (or maybe reserve warning light), and how to calibrate it. You'll need a VAG-COM and be ready to play games with the fuel in your tank.

BTW: does this have anything to do with ventectomies?

Hookey

TDI
2005 Beetle
Thanks Power Hound

I will do a search as you suggested. REgarding the relationship to ventectomies - only that it has to do with how much fuel in the tank. I know - weak link - just made me thinkof it.

Andy67

TDI
2003 Jetta GL TDI (stock)
Did the ventectomy last weekend and filled up till I could see the liquid fuel (after the foam settled) in the neck. I have 130mi on the trip odometer and the fuel indicator is still way into the top fuel mark. I got 655mi./49.88mpg on my last, pre-vented tank. I'm trying to get into the 900 club on this one after bumping up the tire pressure to 42f/38r.....

This car is ridiculous. Why did I wait so long to buy one?

360gtracer

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Passat SEL, '15 GSW S
Andy67 said:
I got 655mi./49.88mpg on my last, pre-vented tank. I'm trying to get into the 900 club on this one after bumping up the tire pressure to 42f/38r.....
Andy67 - you're not far from me. I haven't done this mod yet (but plan to), but even working the vent manually, I think I can get 655 or more on a tank, but not 49+mpg. Am I driving too aggressively, or do you do all highway driving? I'll be amazed if you're getting that mileage in the stop/go of Centerville and surrounds....

I drive mostly between just north of Richmond and Fredericksburg, and usually just shy of 75mph (set the cruise at 2500rpm) - getting me usually in the 42-45 range. My wife drives the Beetle from just north of Richmond down to her office in Newport News - usually closer to 80, and about 42mpg.

I really think that the only way I could get that kind of mileage is if I'm travelling flat roads out in the midwest and only going 60mph or so. Please tell more about your driving styles/habits and how you achieve that awesome mileage!
Thanks!

DrSmile

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS PD 5spd Wagon
360gtracer said:
Andy67 - you're not far from me. I haven't done this mod yet (but plan to), but even working the vent manually, I think I can get 655 or more on a tank, but not 49+mpg. Am I driving too aggressively, or do you do all highway driving? I'll be amazed if you're getting that mileage in the stop/go of Centerville and surrounds....

I drive mostly between just north of Richmond and Fredericksburg, and usually just shy of 75mph (set the cruise at 2500rpm) - getting me usually in the 42-45 range. My wife drives the Beetle from just north of Richmond down to her office in Newport News - usually closer to 80, and about 42mpg.

I really think that the only way I could get that kind of mileage is if I'm travelling flat roads out in the midwest and only going 60mph or so. Please tell more about your driving styles/habits and how you achieve that awesome mileage!
Thanks!
Simple... you have the PD motor, he doesn't. You should be able to get within 3-5 mpg of his figures given the same driving style. I have driven both models and it's an economy vs performance toss up which to get.

redlm

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta
david_594 said:
Won't work on an 06.
Well, after reading the whole thing and wondering why 1) I already get 600+ on a tank on my car, and 2) how much farther can I go, I came to this!

rarmstrong

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI
Can anyone send me the link to this mod? I can't get the link on the first page to work. Thanks and I look forward to doing this mod. Happy New year!

360gtracer

Veteran Member
TDI
It's not working....

Ok, so I printed out all the pics, and the tutorial that went with them (forgot from whose site, but thanks!), and I just can't seem to get the vent to budge. I push up on the white tab, and I think it might have moved a tiny bit, but I sure can't feel it moving.... I'm assuming that I have to push the vent towards the rear of the car to get it out, yes? Any other tricks? I have splashed some fuel treatment on there in order to wet it, as noted in another post here... But still no luck. I might try to put the fuel treatment in a small spray bottle for better aim.

My fear is that it will come part way out, and then I won't be able to get it back in or all the way out. Or, I'll get it out, but not be able to get it back in.

I bought this car in May of '04 and it has 80+K miles - could it have just been in there for too long??

Still trying.....:confused:

360gtracer

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, those are the procedures I was using - but I've given up. I guess I just don't have enough brute force... Or, more precisely, too much, but not in the right place!

I was pushing up on the white tab, and trying to push the valve body out, when I heard a "SNAP!" Yep, I cracked the white tab. Thankfully, the valve wasn't really moving anyway, so I doubt it's going anywhere. And if it does, I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay someone to replace it for me (unless it falls completely out - but I'm not that lucky....).

So for now, I'll just continue to operate the valve manually when I fill up.

Oh well - so much for cool mods.

But I *did* get my Euro headlight switch in - next is to do the wiring for the rear fog light I already have installed as part of my 5 brake light mod. I do think I'll be able to accomplish that one....

Thanks all!

CDN-Bulldog

TDI
Jetta TDI
Woo Hoo

I havent done this yet (planning to this weekend) but I did override the vent on my last tank of fuel and broke the 1000KM barrier. I've had an 03 TDI since December 12th and was a little discouraged at the 800-900 I was getting on a tank. I also plan to clean the snow sheild this weekend, anything else I should be thinking of doing to increase range, without changing to much.:D

psychosapper

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Need confirmation

I just want confirmation that doing this mod will allow me to fill up as usual--i.e. I can still set the pump handle to shut off automatically when the tank is full and not worry about it overflowing...

Can anyone that has done this mod please confirm this for me?

Thanks, and I apologize for my ignorance in advance!! :eek:

DwightC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5M
psychosapper said:
I just want confirmation that doing this mod will allow me to fill up as usual--i.e. I can still set the pump handle to shut off automatically when the tank is full and not worry about it overflowing...

Can anyone that has done this mod please confirm this for me?

Thanks, and I apologize for my ignorance in advance!! :eek:
I did the ventectomy...successfully.
Yes, the pump handle WILL shut off automatically and you should NOT worry about overfilling it. Here's the reason: There is enough foam created when you fill, that the foam will provide enough early warning to the pump nozzle to shut it off. Actually, what I do, is I wait till the foam disappears, then continue to pump more fuel in VERY SLOWLY until I can see the fuel in the tank's neck.

Don't worry. Do the ventecomy and you'll be glad you did. I do recommend that you fill very very slowly, if you can. THis will minimize the foaming, a little bit.

Last edited:

psychosapper

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
DwightC said:
I did the ventectomy...successfully.
Yes, the pump handle WILL shut off automatically and you should NOT worry about overfilling it. Here's the reason: There is enough foam created when you fill, that the foam will provide enough early warning to the pump nozzle to shut it off. Actually, what I do, is I wait till the foam disappears, then continue to pump more fuel in VERY SLOWLY until I can see the fuel in the tank's neck.

Don't worry. Do the ventecomy and you'll be glad you did. I do recommend that you fill very very slowly, if you can. THis will minimize the foaming, a little bit.
Thanks for the response. I'll do the mod this weekend and fill'er up!! :D

Motor7

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta, 234K miles(SOLD)
For those that are having trouble with the white tab. It took me a few min of pushing & grunting until i figured out why. The white tab, it is just that a tab that doesn't move, it slots into the cut out on the black body. When i did mine i used a small flat tip screw driver to pry up the rear of the cut-out where you see the white tab. If this is not done, things can break. Once the tab can unlock from the cut-out, push on the end(towards front of car) of the vent & the thing should slide right out. I also did not remove the gas door latch catch, i just held my hand under it to catch the vent body when it came out. Hope this helps.....
RD

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
I thought about doing this to my 2001 Golf. But I have gotten really good at venting... and my favorite pump doesn't have a "splash guard" on the nozzel so...

Can anyone comment on splashing with ventectomy and letting the fuel nozzel cut-off at the top?