Left Turn Signal lamp won't turn off

go_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Golf, 04 Jetta
my left turn signal lamp is continuously on, not blinking just on, key removed from ignition light still lit. i removed the 30A fuse to turn off lamp over night.
help

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
my left turn signal lamp is continuously on, not blinking just on, key removed from ignition light still lit. i removed the 30A fuse to turn off lamp over night.
help
What steps have you taken to troubleshoot the problem?
Does the switch stalk activate the right turn signal?
Does your Emergency Flasher switch work properly?
Has there been any wires added or removed from the fuse block like to power some other accessory?

go_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Golf, 04 Jetta
Lensdude_com
thanks for replying,
What steps have you taken to troubleshoot the problem?
pulled headlight connector checked pins for source V+ and found that turn signal wire is source of V+
Does the switch stalk activate the right turn signal? YES
Does your Emergency Flasher switch work properly? no only 3 of the turn signals flash, 4 on constantly.
Has there been any wires added or removed from the fuse block like to power some other accessory?
NO BUT…. i can't be sure but i had replaced my passenger side fog lamp 1 day prior to discovering this issue and they are working as they should.
i know what you're going to say… and yes I'm starting there even though is the opposite side.

as I'm writing this the entire front passenger side front doesn't light/flash etc… including that dam fog lamp…

again thanks
Rob

40native

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
You have a bad ground on something that has continuous power when the vehicle is off that is grounding through your turn bulb making it glow. Check your battery connections at the battery AND engine plus all your engine to body grounds.

Last edited:

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Both front and rear lights, at full intensity? Likely not a ground problem then.

does the vehicle have an alarm fitted that blinks the lights? Certain brands have internal relays that are known to stick, causing this problem.

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
If the fog lights were not part of the original wiring harness and the fog light kit had a relay included for turning off the fog lights when the hi-beam headlights are activated then I would start looking for a fused switch inside that relay...
The relay should have the schematic printed on it to help guide your digital multi-meter...Here's a video but skip ahead to 1 minute where the real mumbling begins about testing a relay for a fog light scenario

40native

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Both front and rear lights, at full intensity? Likely not a ground problem then.

does the vehicle have an alarm fitted that blinks the lights? Certain brands have internal relays that are known to stick, causing this problem.
You missed my point. The ground problem I was refering to has nothing to do with the ground the lights have so yes, they will function as normal with normal voltage. The ground issue I think he's having is something else on the car not grounding that is sending stray voltage through his turn lights. Example, a car I was working on in the shop one day would stay running when you turned the key off as long as you had your foot on the brake peddle.Take your foot off the brake and it would stall. We found out that the owner had just previously did an engine swap before this problem arose and on checking into it we found a ground strap under the radiator that wasn't reconnected during the engine swap. Without a good body to engine ground the brake lights on this car was grounding through the ignition keeping the engine running even when the key was turned off.

I have seen many variations of circumstance like this over the years. Electricity will always follow the easiest path to ground and if it can't go it's supposed path it will seek what path it can causing all kinds of 'weird' things to happen as this stray voltage energizes things it was never meant to. It is likely that his problem has nothing to do with his turn signal circut and is coming from some other source.

Suggestion: Put the 30A fuse back in that you took out and start pulling all your other fuses out one at a time while watching with each fuse to see if the light goes out. If you pull an un-related turn fuse out that causes the light to go out then this is the source of what's causing the bulb to glow when it's not supposed to. Then check the ground on whatever that un-related fuse is supposed to feed.

Last edited:

Kalter|Tod

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta (BRM)
are by chance your headlights on and the turn signal in the left position? If so this is a European feature....

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I have heard of this problem before and it was the result of a bad CCM. Unplug the CCM and see if the light goes out.