Diesel purge, fuel filter, intake manifold, etc...

nelyboy27

TDI
2003 Golf TDI (ALH)
Hello,

I just purchased a 2003 Golf TDI and have been reading through the FAQ and DYI guides religiously (at least once or twice a day). Just filled up for the first measurable gas tank and got 46.96 MPG!!! Very excited (coming from 26 MPG).

I am planning to do the intake manifold and EGR valve cleaning, the intercooler cleaning, a diesel purge, and an oil change, and a fuel filter change and am wondering what the best order is to do these. I've heard oil change after diesel purge, but not sure about the rest. Thanks for your help and apologies if I missed this somewhere.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Yeh apparently the diesel purge can contaminate the oil so yeh purge first then oil and filter change. See how that goes then get stuck into the fuel filter? Then get a look in the intake and see if it's really clogged or not. I'd also do the air filter and check the snow screen if you have one, it seems a lot of your guys cars do.

Here's a link for loads of how to's if you haven't seen it already too.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=569892

DustyB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
If you are pulling in those kinds of numbers there may be no point to cleaning the EGR. 47 MPG is just about perfect usually folks with clogged up intakes suffer very poor mileage. And its not a fun job, it kills the back and your looking through a mirror most of the time, so drive the piss out of the car and shift high and you won't have to clean it for a long time.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Lol that's true ^^^^ although I actually enjoyed cleaning mine out, no mirror though, just used the touchy feely method:D

nelyboy27

TDI
2003 Golf TDI (ALH)
Thank you both for the input. The reasoning for checking out the intake/EGR valve (other than seatman's reason- I suspect I will enjoy it as well :-D) is because I just got the car and want to cover all my bases.

merk

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta sedan, 03 silver wagon
If it hasn't been done, it needs it, my mileage did not suffer and I was clogged down to the size of 2 pencil holes. I got at least 2 full cups of crud out. You will enjoy it if you like to work on your car. It's a satisfying job to complete. You can feel the difference

Diesel purge too is very satisfying. I buy 2 cans and direct purge with one and then fill the new filter with the second one. This one too, you can feel the difference.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I wouldn't waste the time to clean the intercooler. Within a few hundred miles it'll be just as "dirty" as it was before the cleaning. Do all the other stuff, and give it an "Italian" tune-up.

nelyboy27

TDI
2003 Golf TDI (ALH)
Order

Thanks for the input. So the order of EGR/Intake manifold, diesel purge, oil change, fuel filter doesn't matter except for diesel purge right before oil change and fuel filter change?

kenmaira

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk4 2001 1.9 ALH
Consider getting an EGR delete, great investment if you only want to clean your intake manifold once ;)

Edit: sorry didn't see that you're located in CA, good luck!

Last edited:

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Consider getting an EGR delete, great investment if you only want to clean your intake manifold once ;)

Edit: sorry didn't see that you're located in CA, good luck!
ULSD, the proper synthetic oil, and occasional spririted driving will help keep the intake/EGR clean.