No Crank 97 Passat TDI, Where to start?

snaustin09

TDI
97 Passat TDI
Hello,
I'm new to TDI's, but have much experience working on other cars. I received my 97 Passat in non-running condition, and am not sure where to start. I haven't had much of a chance to tinker with it yet, but when I turn the key, I get absolutely nothing. No crank, no noise from the engine bay. Also, some electric features seem to not be working: windows, mirrors, horn, possibly others. I have checked most of the fuses, but it seems like there should be more than just what is under the dash. What is the best plan of attack? All help is very much appreciated, thanks in advance!

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
(1) check the battery. Charge it for a couple of days on a trickle charger and see if things change. If the battery is known good, and you get nothing with the key-on, you could have disconnected starter, bad ignition switch, or something very unusual somewhere else. These ignition switches are known to be flakey, and the older, the more likely it will be flakey.

(2) Most fuses are above the drivers knee, hidden up behind a little cover. Relays are up there too.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
It wouldn't hurt to clean the grounds.
2 near the battery, and one to the engine block.

Use a file or sand paper to clean the lugs and base terminal.

When replacing the lug onto the engine ground, use a product called 'noalux'. It's available at almost hardware stores in the electrical department. It's used to prevent corrosion on aluminum house wiring.

Tony

snaustin09

TDI
97 Passat TDI
Bump, some wires on harnesses that appear to go to the starter and/or solenoid seem to be melted. Started raining, so I can't work on it, but does this seems like a plausible fix?

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
If the starter or solenoid can't get power, it can't work.

Might be the fix.

The Turtle

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4 Passat wagon, SpeedTuning chip, 360,000+ miles, 1996 B4V, 306,000 miles on original engine
If you're not even getting a solenoid click, bad ground comes to mind first. If you're getting any kind of click at all, pull the starter and see if the solenoid is bad.

Greaseburger

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta,2011 Tdi sportwgon
My first thought is the ignition switch, I have changed one in my B4 and the second one went after giving to my son so I rigged it with a push button for now, run a piece of wire with a push on connector to the starter solenoid and positive battery, if it cranks then you will know.