VW King, Gaithersburg, MD - legit or not?

fr@nknb33n$

TDI
2012 Golf
Sorry if I'm posting to the wrong area. Long story short, I'm closing in on my TDI buyback and am looking around for a deal on a new 18 GTI Autobahn MT. This dealership has crazy prices. Has anyone ever dealt with them? How can they be $4-6K less than dealers in my area?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I've read about them and others like them in the DC area. Here is the magic of their pricing.

1. Leave out destination charges
2. Leave out substantial "dealer fee" charges that I think are about $700 or so.

3. Stack every possible VW incentive in their price even though you more than likely don't qualify (recent grad, veteran, etc).

So while the pricing still may beat your local dealer, its a bait and switch.

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
I don't have any personal knowledge, but the fine print under their prices says:

"Internet prices plus tax, tags, title, D&H and $300 dealer processing fee. All prices are exclusive internet prices only and requires approved financing/leasing through VW Credit Inc. Additional conditional offers may be available to those who qualify and may lower the sales price. Customers may not qualify for any or all of these incentives, which would affect the current Internet price. Please contact a sales consultant for all details. Occasionally, pricing and data errors may occur on various vehicles and offers. Upon notification, such errors and omissions will be promptly removed or fixed. All prices, specifications and availability are subject to change without notice."

Not sure how fixed the destination charges are, but I found another dealer that lists out the fee for different models. They list the GTI as $895.

fr@nknb33n$

TDI
2012 Golf
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm going to ignore the call back that was scheduled to happen at the end of this week. I'm not wasting my time playing games. If I have to pay more for my GTI locally, so be it. I don't want to drive halfway across the country to find out I'm being played.

If anybody knows of a decent dealership in the New England area, hit me up. I'm probably going to go Colonial, as my immediate local dealership (Patrick) was caught in some shenanigans trying to cash in on peoples Goodwill Package. Dirtbags.

Last edited:

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I think that Quirk has some pretty competitive prices. I came close to buying a 2017 GTI from them and they had the best prices in my area at the time. I'm not familiar with MA dealers though. I've mostly only dealt with Seacoast and Rochester VW.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm going to ignore the call back that was scheduled to happen at the end of this week. I'm not wasting my time playing games. If I have to pay more for my GTI locally, so be it. I don't want to drive halfway across the country to find out I'm being played.
I don't put it past any dealership to play games so the only way I've found to avoid these kinds of shenanigans is to get all the paperwork up front and signed off. I've even had dealerships offer to deliver the car with the final paperwork for under $1,000. I wouldn't write the dealership off completely because you never know what kinds of deadlines they're up against (it's the 1st now, so the deals likely changed from yesterday even) just make sure you aren't wasting time and money for a "deal." ...but that doesn't necessarily mean you should ignore the offers they're at least claiming.

fr@nknb33n$

TDI
2012 Golf
I think that Quirk has some pretty competitive prices. I came close to buying a 2017 GTI from them and they had the best prices in my area at the time. I'm not familiar with MA dealers though. I've mostly only dealt with Seacoast and Rochester VW.
Thanks for the heads up. I just checked and yes, they have competitive prices. I will definitely put them on the list.

http://www.quirkvw.com/inventory/2018-volkswagen-golf-gti-autobahn-fwd-hatchback-3vw547au4jm267660

JoshMcMadMac

TDI
NMS Passat SE
3. Stack every possible VW incentive in their price even though you more than likely don't qualify (recent grad, veteran, etc).
This especially. They had a few crazy deals on eGolfs back in February. I stopped in and talked to the sales guy for a few minutes to try to understand how they were coming up with the pricing. He was new, and had to call me back the next day. The price went through the roof, they had incentives on top of incentives that I could not figure out how they ever made up the original price. It is a shame as it seems like a nice dealership, but I would not touch them with those sort of games being played.

Blownvette

Veteran Member
TDI
1990 Corvette with V10TDI ,2004 (2)V10TDI’s
I bought my 2017 Autobaun mt from them. I got it at the price they had listed on line. Had to play the dealership games but they came around. I just moved to the area and would be happy to help if you wish

Art

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
I purchased a vehicle from Quirk and the sales manager was a pleasure to deal with. Gave a good price and didnt play any games

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I can't stand those Doc Prep fees. All it is, is a padding of the sales price. For Chrissake, when you have dinner, you don't get charged an extra fee when the waiter prepares the check and processes your credit card.

And they wonder why the public thinks 95% of car dealers are sleazy scumbags.