To Buy or Not to Buy - 2015 Golf TDI Automatic pre-fix - Does the Fix suck?

rhammerman

TDI
2015 Golf TDI Hatchback SE
Hi there,
I hope you might help me decide if I should buyout the lease on my 2015 Golf TDI SE Automatic that is not yet fixed, or if should I terminate the lease and take about ~$3600 from the VW TDI settlement.

The crux of the issue is - I love my TDI. I am not expert driver, but I am addicted to the torque and power; the way this car drives. If getting the fix will noticeably and negatively impact the way it drives, I'd rather turn it in and try to find another hatchback to love. (I mostly drive the car for 3-5 hour weekend getaways (~16,000 miles in 3 years). I've never driven in sport-mode using the hand paddles.)

Does anyone have experience driving a pre-fix and post-fix 2015 Golf TDI Automatic? Will I feel a big difference in less torque? The way it shifts? The acceleration at low and high-speeds? Basically, will it suck?

We got the TDI over the TSI because the TDI was such a superior drive. If the TDI fix is going to turn the driving experience into the same as a TSI, I'm out.

I called multiple dealers to find a fixed car to test drive, but as soon as these cars hit the lot they're sold.

I've tried to search the boards, but because I'm not really an expert driver, I can't tell if there have already been posts about this particular car (thank you for pointing me in the right direction if I've missed them!)

Thanks for your help. Please forgive me if this post is in the wrong place, it's my first one!

R

Last edited:

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
afraid of what?..search..your answers are here at your fingertips

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I would second forrest resto's response. There are many posts pertaining to the Gen 3 2.0L Phase 2 fix (with DSG) that I think you will get a good set of feedback on.

My sense, from reading those posts, is that the EA288 diesel engine did not go through nearly as much change to get it close enough to the lowered emissions target as the previous EA189 diesel engines, so the negative impact either doesn't exist or is not nearly as significant. There are several posts on the 2015 Gen 3 models w/DSG that suggest their views are that the performance improved and fuel economy stayed the same or in some cases got better. There are others who had more negative perspectives. I would venture to say a majority of the feedback are from those who either felt no change or had a slightly better outcome after the Phase 2 fix. But would suggest you read some of the many posts in this forum and come to your own conclusion.

rhammerman

TDI
Thanks for taking the time to respond and offer help! To clarify - I don’t have a firm understanding of the technical terms (for instance, the engine numbers you referenced) and so have a hard time following what the threads indicate about the 2015 Golf, so I decided to post. Are there threads you’d recommend I read that discuss the 2015 Golf?
Thanks again!

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Thanks for taking the time to respond and offer help! To clarify - I don’t have a firm understanding of the technical terms (for instance, the engine numbers you referenced) and so have a hard time following what the threads indicate about the 2015 Golf, so I decided to post. Are there threads you’d recommend I read that discuss the 2015 Golf?
Thanks again!
  • EA288 refers to the 2.0L diesel used in 2015 Golfs, Jettas and Passats
  • EA189 refers to the 2.0L diesel used in 2010-2014 Golfs, Jettas and Passats
The following threads pertain to MY2015 (model year 2015) 2.0L diesels, which your Golf would be included:
I'm sure there are more, but these should give you the jist of owners of similar MY2015 owners with the EA288 engine that you have.

rhammerman

TDI
The following threads pertain to MY2015 (model year 2015) 2.0L diesels, which your Golf would be included:
I'm sure there are more, but these should give you the jist of owners of similar MY2015 owners with the EA288 engine that you have.
Thank you again!

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE

Did you deliberately forget to mention New Beetles ? :)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Just the fact that you state that they are sold immediately should answer your question to some extent. You are also in a lease so be really sure what your options are there as well. Time is running short so don't waste any time. I have a 2015 Beetle tdi with the changes done and notice no difference that I can tell.

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
I Own 4 Phase 2 Fixed vehicles, one with 30,000 + miles SINCE the fix. No issues. No real diferences except for a slightly higher DEF (Diesel Emission Fluid) usage. (9000 mile "Low DEF" warning light vs 10,000 mile warning light).

Other than that, no differences. NONE.

I leased mine with the intent of buying them off lease. First was purchased 6 months into the lease, 2nd a year into the lease, and the 3rd, will be bought out in about 3-4 months. I couldn't resist the $8500 lease discount vs the $6000 purchase discount.