When to upload the offer back?

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 2-door 6MT (BB - 4/18)
Received my VW offer and intend to take the buyback. I plan to keep the car until the summer of 2018. Is it better to sign, notarize, and upload the package now, or wait until 2018 for that. I'm not sure of the last day to physically deliver the car back to VW in 2018.

Last edited:

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
No, the last day to deliver the car is in December 2018. It would be reasonable to assume that you could schedule a turn-in date arbitrarily far in the future, but nobody's gotten that far yet, so it's hard to say. I'd suggest waiting until there are some reports back about how the scheduling is going before sending your signed offer back.

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the December info. I agree, I'll wait to see how this whole process moves forward.

Got Haggis?

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf DSG
it sounds like once they accept your notarized letter, there is a 90 day window for scheduling buyback appointments....now, I don't know if that means you can only see 90 days into the future for scheduling, or if once they accept it, you only have 90 days to turn it in

VonShannon

TDI
2013 Golf TDI, 2010 Golf TDI (SOLD)
Received my VW offer and intend to take the buyback. I plan to keep the car until the summer of 2018. Is it better to sign, notarize, and upload the package now, or wait until 2018 for that. I'm not sure of the last day to physically deliver the car back to VW in 2018.
I plan on keeping until 2018 as well. I returned the notarized package this past Friday. I want to keep my options open in case something causes me to rethink my 2018 return and not be at the back of the line.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
I plan on keeping until 2018 as well. I returned the notarized package this past Friday. I want to keep my options open in case something causes me to rethink my 2018 return and not be at the back of the line.
That's what I am doing. You never know when a financial emergency might come along, and having a car ready for buyback is a comfort.

chargum

TDI
Why are you guys waiting so long to return?
No depreciation beyond the mileage deduction (around ~$250 per 5k miles). You can basically drive a car for very very little cost for 2 years with a guaranteed selling price in 12/2018.

The obvious risk is the car being stolen, totaled, etc. Most people don't want to run that risk.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Why not? You get to drive a car depreciation-free for two years. That's not an offer you're likely to see again.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
The car will still be be under the factory warrantee until turnin. And my dealer gave me a $500 line of credit in exchange for my loyalty card. That should cover a good bit of the scheduled maintenance. Would be dumb to part with it now.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
As Chargum mentioned, there is still risk involved.

Personally I'd rather avoid having to deal with getting the difference between fair market value and the buyback amount from an insurance company. And yes, I realize that preference will cost me money.

Last edited:

VonShannon

TDI
2013 Golf TDI, 2010 Golf TDI (SOLD)
Everyone needs to do what they feel comfortable with. I judge not. I wavered back and forth a while.

As I noted above I'm willing to take the risk to get to drive a depreciation proof car for another year that I love to drive and still get 25.5k for a 5 year old car.

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally talked to VW about it and they advised that, if I intend to wait till 2018 to turn in my car, then NOT to upload the package now and wait till I'm close to making the transaction. However, uploading the notarized package should be done by September 1 2018. The physical turn in date will be arranged between owner and VW after that.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Finally talked to VW about it and they advised that, if I intend to wait till 2018 to turn in my car, then NOT to upload the package now and wait till I'm close to making the transaction. However, uploading the notarized package should be done by September 1 2018. The physical turn in date will be arranged between owner and VW after that.
That is very helpful. Thanks for posting

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
As Chargum mentioned, there is still risk involved.

Personally I'd rather avoid having to deal with getting the difference between fair market value and the buyback amount from an insurance company. And yes, I realize that preference will cost me money.
I would think that there is really no risk because the car has a provable set value. Most insurance companies pay what the car is "worth", so, I would think that your car is worth what VW is going to pay you for it. It may be wise to confirm this with your insurance company and if they say no way, change said insurance company...Mark

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
I would think that there is really no risk because the car has a provable set value. Most insurance companies pay what the car is "worth", so, I would think that your car is worth what VW is going to pay you for it. It may be wise to confirm this with your insurance company and if they say no way, change said insurance company...Mark

Insurance will feel very little incentive to give you ANY more than fair market value, unless attorneys get involved. VW settlement is for significantly more than fair market value. So yeah, they may eventually pay more, but not without being forced to do so.

I'd rather avoid having to motivate them.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
Insurance will feel very little incentive to give you ANY more than fair market value, unless attorneys get involved. VW settlement is for significantly more than fair market value. So yeah, they may eventually pay more, but not without being forced to do so.

I'd rather avoid having to motivate them.
Maybe, but you can be your own lawyer, I have done it in the past. All you need to do is be informed and STRONGLY advocate your case. My insurance company, Encompass, has been very receptive in the past. It is premium insurance and is not cheap, but I guess that one gets what one pays for...Mark

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
Now I have two years to pull the trigger

After consulting with both VW NA and my local dealer, I uploaded all forms and received the email yesterday to schedule for a turn in day. This is where the process will be frozen for a while (Now it's my choice when to trigger this last step until December 2018). I plan to keep the car till the second half of 2018, unless a great deal presents itself (both new and used cars). I know I'm taking a risk of the car being totaled or stolen, however the risk of stolen is less than with a newer AT car.

Marsupial

TDI
'15 Golf TDI DSG S
it sounds like once they accept your notarized letter, there is a 90 day window for scheduling buyback appointments....now, I don't know if that means you can only see 90 days into the future for scheduling, or if once they accept it, you only have 90 days to turn it in
That 90 day appointment window is a moving one. I returned my notarized offer immediately and I am waiting at least until March to turn my Golf in. Every week there is an additional week to schedule an appointment added on the claims site.

refueler

TDI
2014 Jetta 6 MT
I'm waiting for awhile before turning in my Jetta. I still haven't made up my mind as to what to do with the offer paperwork. Looks like there is no definite answer as to what you should do with the offer. Should I submit the paperwork and keep kicking the turn in date down the road or hold onto the offer and submit it later?

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
VW says NOT to upload (but wait no later than 1 SEP 2018). I wonder where your dealer's suggestion TO UPLOAD THE NOTARIZED PACKAGE came from.

I really would appreciate some sage guidance here.

Meanwhile the 'package' remains in my desk.

Season's best (and TIA)

ez

paul_arc

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
I just spoke to the VW claims because I had the same question. I have my offer letter but am waiting until summer 2018. Here is what I got out of them.
They said to wait until then to turn the offer in. They said if I turned it in now that VW would hold me to turning it in within the 90 days after accepted.

I dont know how they would hold me to it, I dont think they can say turn it in now. Maybe it would expire and I would need to redo it.

I said that I chose paper check and that Im sure ill be in a different mileage bracket than this offer so what will they do since the amounts will be different. she said contact them when it gets closer to then and they will write me another more accurate offer letter.

I dont know how much this lady knows because she kept saying ummm and I think. But she said there is no problem waiting until 2018 to turn in the offer letter.

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
I just spoke to the VW claims because I had the same question. I have my offer letter but am waiting until summer 2018. Here is what I got out of them.
They said to wait until then to turn the offer in. They said if I turned it in now that VW would hold me to turning it in within the 90 days after accepted.
I dont know how they would hold me to it, I dont think they can say turn it in now. Maybe it would expire and I would need to redo it.
I said that I chose paper check and that Im sure ill be in a different mileage bracket than this offer so what will they do since the amounts will be different. she said contact them when it gets closer to then and they will write me another more accurate offer letter.
I dont know how much this lady knows because she kept saying ummm and I think. But she said there is no problem waiting until 2018 to turn in the offer letter.
After you send your notarized paper work and the acceptance email is sent to you to make an appointment for turn in, at the time you initiate that process you enter the present mileage of the car. Again, you control when to send for that appointment. As was mentioned here by Marsupial, apparently, this 90 day period is a moving target that is pushed up by a week (every week) until you initiate the turn in appointment.

Last edited:

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
VW says NOT to upload (but wait no later than 1 SEP 2018). I wonder where your dealer's suggestion TO UPLOAD THE NOTARIZED PACKAGE came from.
I really would appreciate some sage guidance here.
Meanwhile the 'package' remains in my desk.
Season's best (and TIA)
ez
See my respond to paul_arc

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
See my respond to paul_arc
Thanks Tony45.

So - if I understand correctly - I can hold onto my (generous) offer until I'm ready.

Then I can upload/fax/snail my notarized package to VW - in 2017 or 2018 - but NLT September 2018.

Have I got that correct, amigo?

Holidays best,

ez

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Tony45.
So - if I understand correctly - I can hold onto my (generous) offer until I'm ready.
Then I can upload/fax/snail my notarized package to VW - in 2017 or 2018 - but NLT September 2018.
Have I got that correct, amigo?

Holidays best,
ez
Yes, you can do that, or you can go one more step of sending the notarized package and wait for the acceptance email from VW; you then freeze the process at this point until you are ready to make the appointment to turn in the car. This is how I'm doing it, eventhough I will wait for a while before I turn in my car.

The advantage of going the extra step is that you know they are ready to take your car, but you're still in control of when to turn it in.

Cheers,

Last edited: