Official list of HPFP Failures

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
NHTSA has started an investigation on the CP 4.x used in the Cummins diesels. Seems that they're seeing some failures in the 2020s and 2021s.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
When you say the % of failures WAS too low, how many years ago was that? I noticed the dieselgate issue first came up when many of these cars were still low in their mileage and it was early in the MKVI model and as such they hadn't had the time time rack up mileage as a particular generation. NOW it seems like there's more failures occurring as they have been "fixed' and sold back to the public. Consider, I lost the first pump about 10K short of the extended warranty ending and the ANOTHER one, with the full fuel system having been replaced in about 45K. The ALH engines could go hundreds of thousands of miles without pump failures, the BEW engines too, but the MKVI CJAA seems to have an appetite for for them and not just on the VW brand cars. That looks like the VAG supplying a part/parts that is LOW quality and perhaps THEIR supplier/suppliers should have to pay up on this problem. VW was VERY quick to settle of the dieselgate scandal and payout. I find it suspicious that this problem isn't being looked into the same way say, Ford with their junk trannies and head gaskets, was held accountable. I can't say anything will happen, but the more "wheels get squeaky" the more likely VAG will have to supply MORE "grease". I'm not suggesting a recall per say either, just that VW admit that there's an issue AND pay for it...some MORE:LOL:
Sorry, I just noticed your first comment. The NHTSA investigation covered the 09-12 model years. From changes in the part number, it has been suggested that Bosch has updated the CP 4.x four times since the inital release in 2006 or 2007.

jimmyfine

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI, 2014 BMW 328D Wagon
Year: 2010
Build Date:
Make/Model: JSW TDI
Tranny: 6M
Mileage:206,068
Diesel Fuel Source: Don't remember, was on road trip
Additives: No
Problem: Surging quickly followed by misfire under load that progressed rapidly toward multiple misfires. During trip, about 5 hours before this happened it threw 3 codes for each of the 4 glow plugs at the same time, no longer has those codes, suspect it was a wiring problem where the harness had worn through against the oil filter housing.
Dealer: Repaired in home garage, 9,000 miles out of warranty
Swapped in a used 114,000 mile engine and have had no problems in the first 100 miles. While cleaning fuel system, found rust plugging up a lot of the fuel screen in the lift pump and some grit in the filter housing up front but no significant amount of water or presence of contaminated fuel when I drained the tank through the old filter so that was not the failure mode, most likely failed due to mileage/wear.

UPDATE: I decided to look at the roller/cam and under the fuel metering valve. The roller and cam looked ok but there was slight wear on the roller I could feel with a fingernail, but all wear appeared to be in the plane of rotation, no metal found here. I looked under the fuel metering valve next, no metal here either, but as originally stated there WAS metal in the fuel filter housing that was not present before this. My best explination to this is that the actual high pressure pump element was what failed, introducing metal AFTER the actual pump, and the rapid worsening of the misfires was the pump element quickly losing it's ability to make pressure while spewing metal into the rest of the system like we expect but to a lesser degree than the normal failure mode.

Newer Update: Sold the original engine to someone that needed it, I noticed upon cleaning it up that cyl 4 had wet diesel in the exhaust port, so that injector was stuck partially open by debris, I still think mine was an abnormal failure, but still a failure of the pump piston and not the roller.

Last edited:

klx300a6

TDI
none yet
I am looking at a 2009 tdi, with a bad fuel injection pump is what is posted but I bet its the HPFP. I wonder if it is under warranty? I was thinking of buying and repairing, but after looking at what another posted, it could cost over 2700 in parts, even if I could get a lower price on the car, the parts would be more then the car is worth. It's sad that things are getting to the point where a car that could last 400k has to get 2700 dollar in parts every so often because of a poor design.. :( Don't have a vw dealer nearby to get more information or an accurate estimate on repairs.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you put the vin into the VW TDI claim system, it should tell you when the repair was made and if there is any time or mileage left on the extended warranty.

klx300a6

TDI
none yet
If you put the vin into the VW TDI claim system, it should tell you when the repair was made and if there is any time or mileage left on the extended warranty.
I did and it hasn't had the modification done. So either no warranty or has to have the modification done to get the warranty, or both have to be done out of pocket.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
I did and it hasn't had the modification done. So either no warranty or has to have the modification done to get the warranty, or both have to be done out of pocket.
Did you enter the VIN with the letters in all caps, like this: 3VWLA7AJ9FM218662? Because if you do this: 3vwla7aj9fm218662, the website will say the modification has not been done.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I am looking at a 2009 tdi, with a bad fuel injection pump is what is posted but I bet its the HPFP. I wonder if it is under warranty? I was thinking of buying and repairing, but after looking at what another posted, it could cost over 2700 in parts, even if I could get a lower price on the car, the parts would be more then the car is worth. It's sad that things are getting to the point where a car that could last 400k has to get 2700 dollar in parts every so often because of a poor design.. :( Don't have a vw dealer nearby to get more information or an accurate estimate on repairs.
Unless a cp3 is installed. Problem solved.

klx300a6

TDI
none yet
Did you enter the VIN with the letters in all caps, like this: 3VWLA7AJ9FM218662? Because if you do this: 3vwla7aj9fm218662, the website will say the modification has not been done.
Yes, I did, and I currently contacted a dealership they said it hasn't been done, and can be done, but with the extended warranty that comes with it wouldn't cover the HPFP, if it has failed.

klx300a6

TDI
none yet
Unless a cp3 is installed. Problem solved.
If a person was to install a CP3, would they be better doing the emissions modification or running a delete on it? I looked up the CP3 and a kit ranges from 800 to 2700, of course the more expensive ones come with fuel lines and were out of stock. If the HPFP did fail and it wasn't an electrical problem, what all would need to be replaced besides the pump, the injectors, and fuel lines? I was originally looking at it as a project vehicle, to fix and sell, or fix and keep and sell my current vehicle which has a payment. But after some of the research, I am thinking of either walking away or maybe fixing to sell. The guy put a stereo in it and tires on it before it failed him. What would be the value of it if a person used it as a parts car and parted it out. The other choice is to watch for one that was wrecked and do a motor swap.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
If a person was to install a CP3, would they be better doing the emissions modification or running a delete on it? I looked up the CP3 and a kit ranges from 800 to 2700, of course the more expensive ones come with fuel lines and were out of stock. If the HPFP did fail and it wasn't an electrical problem, what all would need to be replaced besides the pump, the injectors, and fuel lines? I was originally looking at it as a project vehicle, to fix and sell, or fix and keep and sell my current vehicle which has a payment. But after some of the research, I am thinking of either walking away or maybe fixing to sell. The guy put a stereo in it and tires on it before it failed him. What would be the value of it if a person used it as a parts car and parted it out. The other choice is to watch for one that was wrecked and do a motor swap.
Cp4 failure. It's about 3k in parts. All 3 pumps, fuel lines, and injectors. You can install a cp3 and retain emissions. Just need the pump and adapter kit. I got one for 800 usd. Just have to slowly bend the high pressure fuel line. And the second fuel pump can be deleted. Can also install an emissions compliant tune.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Well if you did the modification after the cp3 install, you'd have warrenty again.you could put a 1 micron cat filter on before the cow and not clean the tank. Your injectors could be sent in for a rebuild. And if you were sure you cleaned the rail well enough. The only thing not covered would be the pump.
Because it wouldn't be the oe hpfp, and it would be getting cleaner filtered fuel.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, I did, and I currently contacted a dealership they said it hasn't been done, and can be done, but with the extended warranty that comes with it wouldn't cover the HPFP, if it has failed.
Not sure if you went ahead with the emissions mod at the dealer that you would be eligible for the extended warranty anyway. I thought that option had a limited date. Much like the cash payout.

Bradgil_2006

TDI
Audi A3
NHTSA has started an investigation on the CP 4.x used in the Cummins diesels. Seems that they're seeing some failures in the 2020s and 2021s.
There is a class action lawsuit now against all the truck manufacturers for this pump and blaming the failure on the owners. Dodge stopped using the CP4 in 21 model year, Chevrolet stopped some time ago like 17model year, Ford still uses the CP4 pumps. The fix for trucks is in the neighborhood of $10k.. the Bosch pump is made for European diesel.. it is high sulfur content not like the us with ultra low sulfur diesel, that’s why I run the lubricity additive and that is why the pump is prone to failures of this type.

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
There is a class action lawsuit now against all the truck manufacturers for this pump and blaming the failure on the owners. Dodge stopped using the CP4 in 21 model year, Chevrolet stopped some time ago like 17model year, Ford still uses the CP4 pumps. The fix for trucks is in the neighborhood of $10k..
You'd think a class action should be against Bosch. Because they manufactured the pump. Not the manufactor s fault Bosch built a bad pump.

Bradgil_2006

TDI
Audi A3
Another TDi added to the HPFP failure list.

Year: 2012
Build Date: Not sure
Make/Model: A3
Tranny:
Mileage: 49,800
Diesel Fuel Source: multiple but last fuel up was Murphy
Problem: HPFP failure. Glitter in n290 valve. Fuel test failed at dealership. Independent lab verified no contamination. State lab verified no station contamination Sample was taken within 12 hours of incident.
Status: dealer says fuel test failed not covered under warranty. Audi customer care won’t call me back. Frustrated and only owned the car for 3 months not even registered yet.

Any advice to get this moving under warranty would be greatly appreciated.. I’m thinking that I may need to consult with a lawyer.

thanks for any advice..
Update for my fix.
multiple calls to AUDI customer care they finally stopped taking my calls. Talked with the dealer and really got nowhere fast.. I ended up sending a fix it email to customer care and they repaired it under warranty. I included the following in my final email to customer care:
1) all the fuel sample information I had. from the station and from the car and independent lab
2) the test kit instructions that specifically say the results from the test are not legally valid
3) the nhtsa engineering report

the warranty is extended for power train on these cars to 10 yrs 120,000 miles from place in service
the extra warranty which runs concurrent is the 4 yr 48,000 miles from the mod for diesel emissions and covers the high pressure fuel pump. It took a while and the last email to customer care asking them why they are shirking their responsibility to owners and that I may need to seek legal counsel to get it repaired under warranty. from the time I sent my email it was less than 24 hours that the dealer called and said it was all covered under warranty. Thanks to all for the advice.. runs like a top now! My plan is to replace the CP4 with a CP3 mod when the warranty runs out. The CP3 doesn’t send metal into the system like the 4 does if it fails. Until then I am running an additive that adds lubricant and cetane boost.

I am posting the files I used to help with my case for anyone else that has this issue… if someone can help with where/ how to post here that would be helpful.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There is a class action lawsuit now against all the truck manufacturers for this pump and blaming the failure on the owners. Dodge stopped using the CP4 in 21 model year, Chevrolet stopped some time ago like 17model year, Ford still uses the CP4 pumps. The fix for trucks is in the neighborhood of $10k.. the Bosch pump is made for European diesel.. it is high sulfur content not like the us with ultra low sulfur diesel, that’s why I run the lubricity additive and that is why the pump is prone to failures of this type.
Ummm no, the ULSD requirement of less than 15 ppm sulfur is also in Europe. The differences are a higher cetane rating and higher lubricity.

JAHezik

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I wish I had the mechanical knowledge to do the work myself.... I know enough to probably be dangerous. Parts for replacing the fuel rail parts is about $2700 at the parts site we usually bought from. Think they said + $500 core (for injectors, etc). I would imagine replacing HPFP is something a bit above the knowledge/ability that I have... :cautious:

UPDATE: Took long enough to get someone to work on it, but turned out that it wasnt the HPFP after all. The pump on the methanol injection system shorted or something, and basically it was trying to run on pure methanol pretty much. One new glow plug, new battery, went ahead and had him do the oil and trans fluid change while it was there. Back on the road for a couple months now! :)

miclark

TDI
2011 jetta wagon manual
Year: 2011
Build Date:
Make/Model:jsw
Mileage:127000
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell Station Buellton ca
Additives: no
Problem: HPFP failed, glow lights came on, car died, hpfp troublecode and metal in the fuel filter and HPFP. This happened after weeks of rain and about 8 miles after filling up from very empty. The fuel hasn't been tested yet. Dealer says they can't evaluate it because the battery was dead and wouldn't take a charge.
Dealer: community vw Santa Maria ca
Status: Car is sitting there waiting for orders, money to fix....

Michael B

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Problem: HPFP failed, glow lights came on, car died, hpfp troublecode and metal in the fuel filter and HPFP. This happened after weeks of rain and about 8 miles after filling up from very empty. The fuel hasn't been tested yet. Dealer says they can't evaluate it because the battery was dead and wouldn't take a charge.
Dealer: community vw Santa Maria ca
Status: Car is sitting there waiting for orders, money to fix....
Any update? Curious to see what their tests show. Usually having it fail so soon after filling up they may want to say contaminated fuel. But most of us who have diesel jettas have never used the wrong fuel. Especially since you likely have the special insert that prevents a regular gas pump from fitting.

vavaroutsos

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
Build Date:
Make/Model: VW Sportwagen
Mileage: 202,300
Diesel Fuel Source: 76 station in Gilroy, CA
Additives: Not with this fill-up (have sometimes used Diesel Kleen)
Problem: HPFP failed and contaminated fuel system
Dealer: New Century VW in Glendale, CA

Failure happened 250 miles from home, 200 miles after putting 14 gals of R99 in at a 76 station (no signs of a problem prior). Not worth the repair cost at the dealer (over $7k) or time/money to tow it home and fix myself. Was due for timing belt in another 30k miles or so, and EGR cooler needed fixing/replacing too. The car was in excellent condition otherwise.

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Build Date:
Make/Model: VW Sportwagen
Mileage: 202,300
Diesel Fuel Source: 76 station in Gilroy, CA
Additives: Not with this fill-up (have sometimes used Diesel Kleen)
Problem: HPFP failed and contaminated fuel system
Dealer: New Century VW in Glendale, CA

Failure happened 250 miles from home, 200 miles after putting 14 gals of R99 in at a 76 station (no signs of a problem prior). Not worth the repair cost at the dealer (over $7k) or time/money to tow it home and fix myself. Was due for timing belt in another 30k miles or so, and EGR cooler needed fixing/replacing too. The car was in excellent condition otherwise.
Did the Dealer give you anything for the rest of the car or did you just walk away?