Opinions - 2010 VW Jetta TDI

jeffer28

TDI
Looking
I have just started looking for a new car. I really like the 2010 VW Jetta TDI Comfortline. However, not being overly familiar with VW's reliability, is it a good choice? I am not handy, so anything that needs to be done will be done by the dealer. I have heard very positive things about the local dealer and my parents just purchased a 2009 Jetta TDI Wagon from them a few months ago (I helped them shop for cars). From my initial research, VW seems to be about middle of the road for reliability, but from the several people I know who own one, they all really like them.

Is getting one a good choice, or should I save a few grand and get a Toyota Corolla (or whatever else there is)?

Glenn R

TDI
2010 TDi Sedan
I bought my Audi new in '98 and everyone either said "What's an Awdi?" or "I hear those things have massive electrical problems and are always in the shop." I actually had very few problems, all minor, over the 11 years and didn't really hesitate to look at VWs. Corollas are reliable, but they're about as exciting as driving a bar of soap.

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver, 2011 JSW Manual - Bought Back. Now 328d Wagon.
I can't speak for the new ones, but I've been totally converted by my 2001 Golf, and having a VW TDI can help you to become a little more handy, doing preventative maintenance and smaller repairs. That will also give you more ownership in your car which means you'll probably keep it a longer time. If I didn't have my 2001, I would most definitely get back into a TDI asap, even though the new ones don't run Biodiesel. There's just no comparison between a TDI and anything else in the price bracket. My folks may have to get a new car soon, and I'm going to do my best to advocate for a Jetta TDI. I think it's the best possible choice, and is by far the best car decision I've ever made.

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Love my VW Cabrio and now love our new Jetta TDI even more. Reliability is up so that Consumer Reports recommends them now. Before, they had a very high test rating but never got a recommendation to buy.

VWs handle a bunch better than any Toyota. We had a Corolla for 4 1/2 years in Singapore and drove a couple in the wide open roads of Australia. They're a fine, reliable (except for those tin foil battery connections) automobile, but they just don't have that fine feel in driving them over the curvy bits. My 2005 Tacoma pickup is a fine improvement over the 1996 Tacoma that had very vague, numb steering but is absolutely no match to either VW for fine handling.

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
The combination of performance and fuel economy is tough to beat on a TDI. The downside is the dealer.

jeffer28

TDI
Looking
dieseldorf said:
an interesting read...but i don't get the "Fred's". :confused:

my last 7 cars have been Fords, and as much as people rag on them, they have all been pretty good to me, so, i don't always put too much faith in these "reliability reports".

anyway, the Jetta TDI (comfortline, which is the middle model) does meet my needs, and it was nice to drive.

about the only "complaint" with the drive is the "drone" noise you hear when cruising at 60 km/hr (which is a little annoying as that is the speed limit for many streets here)...the noise seems to be due to an exhaust note standing wave as the engine is turning at about 1200 rpms in top gear (it was a DSG)...i know that you can shift the tranny to "sport" and drop it a gear, but i would rather not fuss with it...if you go slightly slower, or slightly faster, the noise goes away as the RPM's are out of that zone...it is a rather loud "bass" type noise (perhaps like how some people who use those loud mufflers on their cars and it makes that deep low sound when "idling" or at lower RPM's)...aside from that, i really liked the car, and would rather have the DSG over the manual transmission (my other car is already a manual and it would be nice to mix it up a big).

jeffer28

TDI
Looking
halocline said:
The combination of performance and fuel economy is tough to beat on a TDI. The downside is the dealer.
the dealer we are looking at is actually very highly recommended...it is perhaps the saving grace...the other local dealer isn't as well liked.

Quick Storm

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
jeffer28 said:
an interesting read...but i don't get the "Fred's". :confused:

my last 7 cars have been Fords, and as much as people rag on them, they have all been pretty good to me, so, i don't always put too much faith in these "reliability reports".

anyway, the Jetta TDI (comfortline, which is the middle model) does meet my needs, and it was nice to drive.

about the only "complaint" with the drive is the "drone" noise you hear when cruising at 60 km/hr (which is a little annoying as that is the speed limit for many streets here)...the noise seems to be due to an exhaust note standing wave as the engine is turning at about 1200 rpms in top gear (it was a DSG)...i know that you can shift the tranny to "sport" and drop it a gear, but i would rather not fuss with it...if you go slightly slower, or slightly faster, the noise goes away as the RPM's are out of that zone...it is a rather loud "bass" type noise (perhaps like how some people who use those loud mufflers on their cars and it makes that deep low sound when "idling" or at lower RPM's)...aside from that, i really liked the car, and would rather have the DSG over the manual transmission (my other car is already a manual and it would be nice to mix it up a big).
that noise or drone you hear is the engine lugging as 1200 rpm is outside of the torque curve or sweet spot for the engine to perform optimally especially if the the engine is under load. once you drive one and get a feel for it, it will be the best car choice you will ever make. I recently converted from american gasser trucks and 1 dmax diesel to the jetta tdi and I love the car, it meets all of my needs and then some.

jeffer28

TDI
Looking
Quick Storm said:
that noise or drone you hear is the engine lugging as 1200 rpm is outside of the torque curve or sweet spot for the engine to perform optimally especially if the the engine is under load.
i don't think it would be under much load, as it is simply light driving at the city speed limits...as well, if it is too low, the DSG shouldn't be switching to 6th gear then (in effect "bogging" itself down)...if you press the gas pedal (or is called a diesel pedal? ;) ) the engine has no problem getting back up to speed...i don't think it is the sound of the engine "bogging" out, because if you decellerate slowly, you can hear it briefly as the transmission downshifts and the revs "dip" into that zone...the sound isn't from the engine, it is from the exhaust, but at that specific RPM, it is a fairly loud "drone" noise...perhaps i am not explaining it best.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
leicaman said:
But the upside is www.tdiclub.com !!! :D
You got that right...when the local dealer dropped a glowplug in my 04 jetta wagon (three weeks after I bought the car) and tried to get out of paying for an engine rebuild, the knowledge and support I got on this forum was very helpful. I owe everyone who contributes to this forum a big thanks!

I now have 5K dealer/free miles on my TDI, it's running great, I put some better oil in, and for the first time I'm really starting to enjoy this car.

Glenn R

TDI
2010 TDi Sedan
jeffer28 said:
i don't think it would be under much load, as it is simply light driving at the city speed limits...as well, if it is too low, the DSG shouldn't be switching to 6th gear then (in effect "bogging" itself down)...if you press the gas pedal (or is called a diesel pedal? ;) ) the engine has no problem getting back up to speed...i don't think it is the sound of the engine "bogging" out, because if you decellerate slowly, you can hear it briefly as the transmission downshifts and the revs "dip" into that zone...the sound isn't from the engine, it is from the exhaust, but at that specific RPM, it is a fairly loud "drone" noise...perhaps i am not explaining it best.
I think I know the sound that you are speaking of. I have heard cars do this, and it does seem to be a resonance in the exhaust at certain RPMs under certain loads. But I do know, being the owner of a 2010 TDI DSG, that any "city driving" at speeds below 35mph requires going into manual mode and downshifting. If you do not do this then the engine will lug because the DSG puts it into too high a gear. It's just something you have to get used to.

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
jeffer28 said:
I have just started looking for a new car. I really like the 2010 VW Jetta TDI Comfortline. However, not being overly familiar with VW's reliability, is it a good choice? I am not handy, so anything that needs to be done will be done by the dealer. I have heard very positive things about the local dealer and my parents just purchased a 2009 Jetta TDI Wagon from them a few months ago (I helped them shop for cars). From my initial research, VW seems to be about middle of the road for reliability, but from the several people I know who own one, they all really like them.

Is getting one a good choice, or should I save a few grand and get a Toyota Corolla (or whatever else there is)?
Here's some good info to check out:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=231417

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I love my 09 ,the CBEA engine has ton of power avg MPG 41 that is highway and city driving.What kind of driving do you do? These car love highway driving. heads on a few things the DSG has to service every 40K around $400 oil change every 10k(with the right 507 oil most dealers get wrong and over fill it) and change break fluid every 2 years and also get a skid plate Good luck:)

jeffer28

TDI
Looking
MonsterTDI09 said:
I love my 09 ,the CBEA engine has ton of power avg MPG 41 that is highway and city driving.What kind of driving do you do? These car love highway driving. heads on a few things the DSG has to service every 40K around $400 oil change every 10k(with the right 507 oil most dealers get wrong and over fill it) and change break fluid every 2 years and also get a skid plate Good luck:)
i don't put on a ton of miles, but i like the TDI engine and its "green" design and fuel economy...most of our driving is city driving (probably 80%), but there is still a substantial fuel savings in city driving...the service interval for the DSG tranny here is not until something like 60,000 or 80,000 kms and it is $400...the oil changes are about every 15,000 kms and are about $100...while the DSG fluid change isn't cheap, it really only works out to be once every 5-7 years for me anyway, so i will only have to do it once (unless i keep the car for the next 30 years :) )...i would only take it to the dealer i would buy it from, as they have a very good reputation here (both for sales, after sales support, and service).

jeffer28

TDI
Looking
Glenn R said:
I think I know the sound that you are speaking of. I have heard cars do this, and it does seem to be a resonance in the exhaust at certain RPMs under certain loads. But I do know, being the owner of a 2010 TDI DSG, that any "city driving" at speeds below 35mph requires going into manual mode and downshifting. If you do not do this then the engine will lug because the DSG puts it into too high a gear. It's just something you have to get used to.
there are lots of them, so i assume other people either get used to it, or shift it down a gear manually.