ECM problems 1997 Passat TDI

PGDAVE

TDI
Passat
I am experencing time to time performance problems with my 1997 Passat TDI that has 137000 miles on it. The power out put is greatly reduced when this occurs but my mileage remains consistant around 44 mph. The scan codes advise that the ECM is going bad and I need to see if it can be repaired or if I need a new unit. Any suggestions where to find a used one?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Howdy, Dave. Has the vacuum line within the ECu ever been replaced?? It's the famous $0.05 fix :)

PGDAVE

TDI
Passat
The vacuum line was just replaced but the problem is still occurring. The line was broken but the new one hasn't made much difference.

I live on Kent Island (near the Bay Bridge)

hgeittmann

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
1) post the actual codes here first
2) try rocketchip.com for a repair
3) if 1 & 2 fail (and 2 probably won't fail), try car-part.com

I only say "post the actual codes here first" because "advise that the ECM is going bad" sounds like someone trying to liberate some $$ from your wallet. Could be that the ecu is fine and some other common fault is to blame. Check the A3/B4 forum sticky on troubleshooting low power!

Last edited:

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Hi,

It may have a bad map sensor in the ecu. This can cause memory error fault codes too. You can check the boost with vagcom. You can drive it or I can check the map operation on the hot bench with a boost valve and air supply. There is also a baro sensor, but these rarely go bad.

Jeff