Need help with Headliner

sodapop6620

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000
I broke my antenna off at the base and need to replace the entire thing so I can listen to the radio. The only problem with this is that I do not know how to remove and re-install the headliner without damaging it. Can anyone help me out?? The car is a 2000 Jetta.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
I was able to do this earlier this year by removing the rear center headrest so I would have room to work, loosening the headliner at the center of the rear window and reaching in with a cresent wrench set by the nut on the replacement antenna. The only fun I had was getting the nut started on the new antenna and figuring out how the connector worked. Assuming you also have a Jetta sedan and that your arms aren't too much bigger than mine I suspect you can pull this off the same way. I was surprised by how much better my AM reception was once I replaced the antenna, so my amplifier must have been dead for quite a while.

sodapop6620

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000
Yes I do have a sedan Jetta. How did you loosen the headliner?? I will be in Rockville on Wednesday if you have some time we can talk then.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
I just reached up and worked it loose from the lip around the rear window. I had already set the cresent wrench with the nut on the new antenna and once I had the headliner loose enough I reached in and loosened the restraining nut. Once it was loose it took a little time to figure out how to release the connector and then the next bit of fun was getting the nut started on the new antenna.

I am out near the Flower Hill Giant and MacDonalds in Gaithersburg.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
To remove the headliner you need to do the following:

1.Remove the C-pillar covers
2.Remove the rear hand-grips
3.Remove the upper B-pillar trim covers

That should be enough to get it down. If not continue by removing the front driver's handle or sunglasses holder & passenger's handles. If needed, remove the front A-pillar covers.