Stage one MPG with DSG

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
I'll admit, I've been drinking. I searched, but couldn't find a thread about mileage after the stage one software fix. I bought a Passat SEL today, and while I remember reading a few times that the mileage and driveability improved, I was skeptical at best. My "new" car had 137 miles on it when the keys were handed to me, and the combined city, stop and go, stop at outback, and drive home (30 miles) was 49mpg. The true litmus test will be next week when I drive it back and forth to work, but I have to say, I'm quite impressed so far. I drove a 13 Passat SEL for 90k, and the transmission is by far the biggest difference I have noticed so far. The "off the line" engagement is much smoother and in the city, it doesn't seem to bog down or hunt for the right gear nearly as much. I do not feel I'm am completely delusional, as we drove this cars "sister unit", a red Passat for about 20 miles the day before. The "unmodded" car seemed to slip the clutch and delay take off from a stop much more. Didn't pay attention to mileage on that one, but it felt exactly like my 13. If this has been covered over and over, delete it and I'll laugh at my own ignorance, but for the life of me, I can't understand why they didn't come with this software from the factory. 200 miles now, and it's not quite leaps and bounds from the 13, but is without a doubt a great improvement so far. Happy dieseling.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
So I've got about 350 miles on it now, and it's been quite the strange experience. I use a scangauge and notice the average egt temp seems higher than my 13. I'm one of those who believes in idling before shut down to get EGT and DPF temps below 450, and this car takes FOREVER to get DPF temp down. A few times today it was well over a minute. Car definitely has less pep and torque around town, but is a solid 5 MPG better than the 13. I'm guessing peak HP is probably the same, but I would guess they greatly "softened" the fuel mapping, making it less peppy and reducing tailpipe emissions in most driving scenarios.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
I'll admit, I've been drinking. I searched, but couldn't find a thread about mileage after the stage one software fix. I bought a Passat SEL today, and while I remember reading a few times that the mileage and driveability improved, I was skeptical at best. My "new" car had 137 miles on it when the keys were handed to me, and the combined city, stop and go, stop at outback, and drive home (30 miles) was 49mpg. The true litmus test will be next week when I drive it back and forth to work, but I have to say, I'm quite impressed so far. I drove a 13 Passat SEL for 90k, and the transmission is by far the biggest difference I have noticed so far. The "off the line" engagement is much smoother and in the city, it doesn't seem to bog down or hunt for the right gear nearly as much. I do not feel I'm am completely delusional, as we drove this cars "sister unit", a red Passat for about 20 miles the day before. The "unmodded" car seemed to slip the clutch and delay take off from a stop much more. Didn't pay attention to mileage on that one, but it felt exactly like my 13. If this has been covered over and over, delete it and I'll laugh at my own ignorance, but for the life of me, I can't understand why they didn't come with this software from the factory. 200 miles now, and it's not quite leaps and bounds from the 13, but is without a doubt a great improvement so far. Happy dieseling.
I drive a 2013 Passat SEL too and my car also drives like a manual car - the DSG does an uncanny imitation of a manual driver operating the transmission - the clutch slips and grabs like someone easing off the clutch as the gas pedal depresses - was very strange at first. Even will roll back at stop sign on a hill if you are too slow to go from gas to brake (and letting the hill hold take over).

I'm somewhat disappointed that the fix for gen 3 seems to take away some of the "manual transmission" feeling from the DSG. Does it still do that crazy hard engine braking at low speeds/traffic situations?

thanks!

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
I would say everything to do with the DSG has improved. It is after all a manual transmission with the clutch controlled by the computer. Some other things I've noted is that engine braking is all but gone. Was quite used to downshifting in the 13 on exit ramps but this car seems to not have any braking at all. Not sure how many of the things i notice are differences with the fix, or the newer class engine than the 12-14.