Am I the only one that is satisfied with the proposal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

highontdi

TDI
1997 Passat Sedan (totaled), 1998 NB (on last legs), 2010 JSW (sold back 5/2/17)
I am perfectly satisfied with the proposed buyback. Have a 2010 JSW that I bought used. If all goes as planned, I drive the car for roughly 60k miles (60k to 120k) over about 4.5 years, do some routine maintenance, and they pay me about $100 more than I paid for the car.

Seems pretty reasonable.

aliasbane

TDI
Passat 2013
I am happy with the calculated amount (as best I understand), but I will also be sad to see the TDi go.

Owning a car since 12/31/2011, putting 90k on the car without a SINGLE problem, and receiving back almost 80% of the initial purchase price is simply too good to pass up.

I also own a 3.0 TDi and I am anxious to see what options for fix or possible buy back come to pass.

I did spy a 2015 GTI with 6MT at the local dealer that caught my eye however.....

See you are getting almost 80% back, where I am only at 3 years in 36,800 miles and still won half the price of what I paid for it. I will be loosing about 40% and have to buy a new car. That is where i get pissed.

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
See you are getting almost 80% back, where I am only at 3 years in 36,800 miles and still won half the price of what I paid for it. I will be loosing about 40% and have to buy a new car. That is where i get pissed.
Unless the 2013 values are tanked, or you way over paid, I have to think your values are off. My 2014 SE / DSG / Sunroof is $28,007 for a CA car. Minus $2,430 because I have 66,000 miles on my car. Putting me at $25,577 for a car I bought just shy of $30,000. Did you roll negative equity into the car when you bought it?

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
So lets see 2013 Passat TDI Sel

Value on the Chart is $27,167 with mileage addition being under 40,000.
I owe 18,308 on the car.
Leave me with $8860 and no car.
In which I have already paid 20k on the car.
So that is a 11,000 loss and have no car...
Thats not including any sort of sales taxes and the extended warranty i bought from em.

yeah fat chance they are getting a buy back without other additions to that for me.
So you paid $38,308 for your Passat (obviously interest included)?????

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
I just checked and it seems the buyback values you provided were a bit under.

2013 Passat SEL, CT (assumption from your profile location)
Miles 36,800 according to your above post.
Assuming a buyback in October your numbers should look more like this

Base Vehicle value $26,807
Add Mileage Adjustment $1,890
Final Value $28,697

Leaving you with about $10,389 dollars to play with. I'd say, and this in my opinion of your situation at this point, making out pretty good. Not as good as some of us, but everyone's situation is different. I still wonder how your original purchase price was so high. But that's a story for another time.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
my impression has been most people are pretty satisfied when you talk to other real life TDI owners. This forum is a magnet for the minority of those upset and ready to rage about it, but not a representation of the whole.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I'm fine with the proposed settlement. I'm still not sure what I want to do. I have 0 regrets with the car, and I only have 2 years of payments left. I think when I looked at the charts I'm getting something like $22k back and I owe about $12k on 0% interest through VW.

My 2 big issues are
#1). I so desperately wanted to drive around for 4-5 years without a car payment. It's what I did with my last car and I'm down to just 2 years left.
#2). I have no idea whatsoever what I would replace this car with. Everything about it fit my needs perfectly.

Having a car that's simpler to work on would be nice. Having a car that heats up better/faster in the winter would be nice. Having a car with a few more flashy features would be nice.

Anyway, I'm happy with the proposals though. No complaints here.

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
I just checked and it seems the buyback values you provided were a bit under.

2013 Passat SEL, CT (assumption from your profile location)
Miles 36,800 according to your above post.
Assuming a buyback in October your numbers should look more like this

Base Vehicle value $26,807
Add Mileage Adjustment $1,890
Final Value $28,697

Leaving you with about $10,389 dollars to play with. I'd say, and this in my opinion of your situation at this point, making out pretty good. Not as good as some of us, but everyone's situation is different. I still wonder how your original purchase price was so high. But that's a story for another time.
Waiting until later 2018 is your best bet. You'll get the same money for the car, and will owe much less at that time.

I'm fine with the proposed settlement. I'm still not sure what I want to do. I have 0 regrets with the car, and I only have 2 years of payments left. I think when I looked at the charts I'm getting something like $22k back and I owe about $12k on 0% interest through VW.

My 2 big issues are
#1). I so desperately wanted to drive around for 4-5 years without a car payment. It's what I did with my last car and I'm down to just 2 years left.
#2). I have no idea whatsoever what I would replace this car with. Everything about it fit my needs perfectly.

Having a car that's simpler to work on would be nice. Having a car that heats up better/faster in the winter would be nice. Having a car with a few more flashy features would be nice.

Anyway, I'm happy with the proposals though. No complaints here.
Maybe you should consider keeping the car. It's my opinion that the NMS Passat's fix will be pretty straight forward with no affect on pe dormancy and fuel economy ni may be wrong but that is just my opinion. I would keep our car if we didn't need the space for family needs. The TDI Passat really is a fantastic car.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
The satisfaction is like a bell curve, the middle years 2011-14 are happy, the extremities '09-10 and '15 are not.
...and like all "rules", there are exceptions to that rule. I have an '09 with relatively low miles on it. It looks like they are willing to pay me almost double what it would be worth to sell myself. If I can find a suitable replacement, I could be satisfied with the proposed settlement offer. We shall see what and when the final proposal says and does.

Have Fun!

Don

kszach

TDI
2010 JSW
When Toyota bought back my Tacoma for frame rust the policy was 150% value of your vehicle - excellent condition, zero miles. I was so happy with that offer that I bought a new Tacoma.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Well I have a unique situation, a 09 JSW with 37k miles and am registered in FL. The buy back makes no sense since the buy back is a fraction of what it's worth to me. I would get 1/3 of the purchase price on a very low mileage reliable ride that I can't replace with another TDI. They will not get mine back.

Debra Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
Memories of a fantastic 2015 Jetta
The satisfaction is like a bell curve, the middle years 2011-14 are happy, the extremities '09-10 and '15 are not.
I have a 2015 and I am very happy, if I keep it I will pay it off early, if not I will have driven a car for almost two years and 40,000 plus miles for next to nothing....

No complaints here at all.

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
I am completely satisfied with buy back. Paid $25,800 plus TT&L (Probably about $27,500 total). I will get $25,787 for it. Drove a car for 3 years and 29k miles for only 2k plus about $600 in interest over 3 years. $2600 to drive a car for 3 years is pretty cheap.
(This is not including diesel costs but that has been relatively cheap.) I have had 0 maintenance cost except for an alignment. 3 years free maintenance on 2013 Passat included.

The bad for me, compared to previous Toyota's and Honda's, the recall amounts and a rattle in sunroof that the local VW dealers cannot find to fix. It has been there since I have owned it and it is annoying. Also, I know the cost for service on this car is going to be expensive compared to Honda and Toyota.

I owe $7200 on the Passat. The smart thing for me to do is buy a new 4 cyl 2016 Camry XLE loaded for about 22k. It has close to the amount of interior room as Passat. It would have 0 miles be 3 years newer and cheaper future maintenance, I would walk away with New Camry owing about $6000.

Walk away from this deal owing $1200 less on a brand new car that I did on my Passat is great. I could even make the deal sweeter by hunting a low mileage 2015 Used Camry. I am just scared of used Camrys because they are used so much for Rentals.

The not smart thing to do would be get a new Honda Ridgeline or the new Body style Tiguan if they come out anytime soon.

At this point in my life I need to focus less on having a fun car and more on saving for retirement and Kid's college fund.

I could also drive the Passat for another year after buyback starts and my value would actually increase about $1200 dollars but because I need new tires now and Maintenance cost...That $1200 is a wash. New Camry has 2 years free maintenance and new tires.

I assume VW will have some amazing incentives for TDI Owners to keep that buyback money with VW right? I am not opposed to gasser VW as a replacement if the deal is amazing.

bristolvw

TDI
2010 Sportwagen
So, we LOVE out '13 Passat SEL Premium. With the toddler growing daily and possible larger family future plans we could use something larger. But, I still think the Passat is the best mid-size sedan on the road. I would also rather have a TDI Passat than any full size on the road. The fuel economy is fantastic, it's huge for a sedan, the handling is great, the torque is great and it's fantastic and classy looking to me.
This whole scandal has never skewed my opinion of the product or how great it really is. Yes, they cheated to lessen the impact of the recent crazy EPA standards on the performance aspects that we look for in their cars. I first assumed that VW would 'fix' the cars and we would be stuck with that. I wasn't really too pissed off with that thought as, at least in the Passat's case, I thought they would just increase Adblue dosage to cut down on the nitrous oxides. Maybe it's more complicated on that on the SCR cars, but there wasn't much info out then. Then the loyalty program came around the holiday's last year. I thought that was a good gesture until they get the rest figured out. Values were starting to drop with all of the mess going on and I think it was a nice thing for VW to give the owners something to keep some faith while they work this progress out. Most American's don't have the patience to just wait and see for a few minutes, must less a year or two. Then came the news of VW offering $5k or more to their owners as restitution for value lost and to try to keep them as customers in the future. I was surprised to hear that this would come along with a repair to the car. I was very concerned of the affect of the 'modification' to fuel economy and power but I didn't want to jump to conclusions before VW even knew what they needed to do.
Now, there were alway's rumors of buy-backs and now those rumors are about to become officially true. This has obviously caused a huge wind storm of activity on this and other boards. We sit in the +/- 0 bracket for mileage adjustment so we're at just under $27,000 for our buy back and just over $7,000 for taking the modification, whatever that may be. I understand some others are in different positions and may not be as happy. I've worked some calculations for some friends with CR TDI's and they have all been pretty good in my opinion. To me, the buy back seems most logical for our car in my mind. We could take the modification and the cash and still have an awesome car, but the future value after this has all blown over is a risk as of right now. This makes sense as it's in VW's best interest for most to take the buy-back option.
Nearly every thread subject I see in this section is negative. Some are just simply unhappy, while others are literally crawling out of their skin trying to come up with any way to stick it to VW and get all they can get. It's rather amazing. Personally, I'm pretty happy and feel somewhat privileged to have an equity opportunity that we would NEVER have had this scandal never happened. Especially if you factor in the amount of time that you have to decide. Between roughly October this year and September of 2018 you have choice over locked in values. So, we can wait until mid-late 2018 and get nearly $27k for a 6 year old, 70k+ mile car. I simply can't find anything to be so pissed off about. I guess most American's want more more more more more more more when there is a whiff of money coming their way that they weren't quite expecting. There may be some that could be losing with this deal, especially those that drive a ton, but I have a feeling that it's very fair for most.
To be able to save a couple of months after payoff and walk into a dealer of my choice with a $30k down payment in a couple of years doesn't even seem reasonable to me. But, that is what's on the table. If there were 1-2 year old low mile Touareg TDIs or crazy retention incentives on new ones we would probably stay in the VW family. That's most likely not going to be the case so we may move to a large Toyota SUV while we leave VW with a very pleasant taste in our mouth from them. It's going to be really hard to give the car back to VW, if that's what we still plan to do when the time comes, but it sure seems like a good deal to me.
And to the negative-nancy's, don't bother strapping on your flame throwers to blast your hate my way to try to make me unhappy somehow as I don't think it's gonna happen.
Yes, as you acknowledge, there may be some that don't come out great in this deal, so be understanding that some people may not be happy with the offer. I'm not completely pissed off about the offer, but as an owner of a 2010 JSW that we put a fair amount of miles on, I'm not thrilled with the buyback offer. Many of us 2010 folks paid full MSRP on the cars expecting to have them for a long time. So when the choice is to wait for an undetermined fix or take a buyback that doesn't get what the value of the car is to me, it's understandable people are not happy.

To me, the buyback should be about $2,000 higher in my case and I would have felt VW was making a strong buyback offer.

It may just be me, but since the buyback values are pre-scandal, why are the restitution payments also based on the value of the car. The drop-in value is already addressed in the buyback value, so why is someone that bought a car a year ago deserving of more "restitution" than someone that paid full MSRP for the car and has been driving it for six years thinking they had a "clean diesel". I think the cash payment should be at least the same if not weighted more towards people that have owned the cars the longest. Again, that may be just me, so it's ok if other have different opinions.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
This^. I'm happy it's working out for some, but I have a 2015 Golf and the buyback to me isn't acceptable.

So get the fix with $6000-$7000 and keep driving it !!! THat's what I'm planning on doing, anyway - it makes ALOT more sense than the buyback for a 2015.

akafirestorm

TDI
JSW 2011
I really have zero complaints on the deal. I've owned my 2011 Jetta for 5 years driven it 65,000 miles going on 70,000 by the time buy back is official. I paid 28,000 before tax. I'm getting about 20,000 from the buyback. For me this is a good deal. Not a great deal but a good deal. I basically drove a brand new vehicle across the country for 5 years spending $8,000 dollars before tax. If this goes down like it should I'm pleased with the outcome.
I do think the Jetta owners with 2010 models should be getting a better deal.

Mike_S

TDI
Sportwagen TDI 2010
Both our 2010 and identical replacement 2014 TDI Sportwagen were great cars that suited our needs (not our dreams, mind you). We expected the 2014 to possibly be our last car purchase.

Selling it back for basically the sales price is no problem for us. We will simply drive our 2010 Benz and/or eventually get a new car. We both really liked the DSG Sportwagen and there is no car like it, although the MK7 TSI Sportwagen is close as a straight replacement.

However, I am concerned for people who have bought used and/or with borrowed money, and lessees, groups who may not be in a position to find a replacement independent of the settlement cash. If you have only one car, and need transportation to even find another car, it is undue hardship, independent of the money involved.

Fortunately, there is enough time, approximately 18 months, and the maximum 90 day take-back limit on VW to give individuals breathing room. By making a financial plan now, it would be possible to pay a couple months of two car payments for finding the right car, as long as you know VW comes forth with your cash in a timely manner.

So, in general, how could a person complain of a several thousand dollars over trade-in and no or low depreciation expenses from September 2015?

Last edited:

GretchenTDI

TDI
2015 Beetle Convertible
So, in general, how could a person complain of a several thousand dollars over trade-in and no or low depreciation expenses from September 2015?
Well, for me, it's because I bought mine 8-22-15.

A lot of people are getting some pretty sweet compensation. I don't feel that way.

I'd rather keep my car as is. But in a few years time, will I be able to get parts?
And would my state still permit me to register it?

Mike_S

TDI
Sportwagen TDI 2010
Gretchen, indeed, some come out better than others, especially if looking at raw numbers.

There is going to be a review of settlement details next month. Hopefully any serious disadvantaged segments will be recognized and a more equitable solution offered. I also understand there is also going to be an appeal and court appointed referee process going forward during the entire, long buyback period. I hope you are able to get some relief.

Your signature block shows you have a 2015. With all 2015 or newer (with DEF tank), there is a good chance of a legal fix that is technically sound and does not seriously affect fuel economy. No promise, but in principle, it is technically feasible. A change to more robust emissions parts, an electronics re-calibration, maybe a slight 5-10% loss of maximum power, but a solid, long term solution. The important point is it could conceivably still have good drivability and fuel economy. This is simply not the case with the 2010-2014 cars. You will learn of these details by early spring of 2017.

Also, realize your car can be driven almost two years without, or with very, very low depreciation cost. This is not a trivial point, just perhaps a point not well understood by everyone. Add this hidden, future benefit back into your physical dollar payout you are looking at presently.

Oddly, the court has accidentally or purposely put this drive until 2018 incentive into the deal. It might be because the court expects, as I do, that these 2015 and 2016 cars will receive a viable emissions modification. Educated guess on my part, but my knowledge of automotive engineering is extensive.

Along with this fix, I also believe VW may have some models of TDI on offer again next year or 2018. The 2017 order sheet shows TDI sales information as TBA, "to be announced", a solid clue. Worst case this would make possible to just trade into the newer TDI VW at hardly any additional cost. Furthermore, the newer 1.8 TSI motors cost about $250 more per year in fuel. They are less expensive to purchase, not the end of the world, especially if there is some nice sales discount from VW dealers. Just no DSG transmission for these TSI cars at the moment.

So don't despair just yet, OK?

Last edited:

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
Hard to be unhappy with what they are offering. '15 Passat TDI SEL purchased in Aug 15. Not one option. Out the door for $29.5K cash. Almost off the TrueCar chart. Thank you, USAA Buying Service. Only subsequent costs have been insurance and fuel. If we keep driving at our current rate, the buyback is over $34K.
Trouble is every day we like the car more. Don't think the fix will have any real impact on performance or mileage. Clearly we are torn.
So while we are happy about what is being offered, we are completely upset about the overall situation and how having to make a decision is complicating our lives. Have to think there are others like us out there.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
I'm so happy the bottom fell out on my first new cars value and now I'm being dinged for mileage so badly that my choice is to keep a devalued vehicle with virtually no resale value and illegal emissions/ crappy fix or have to give up a car I bought and maintained since new for someone else's used car since the buyback isn't enough after the loan to have a decent down payment for another new car after 4 years. Great deal

Redeemed

TDI
2002 New Beetle 2013 Jetta bought back
I would say I am relatively content with the deal. However, I believe the lease folks might be getting the short end if I understand correctly. 2013 Jetta no options, cancelled lease and approx $3100 back. Doesn't exactly make me whole.In fact, it doesn't cover even half the lease payments made let alone restitution. But it will be an ok down payment on the 2016 Jetta 1.4t I looked at yesterday. So I suppose it's good enough.

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Fortunately, there is enough time, approximately 18 months, and the maximum 90 day take-back limit on VW to give individuals breathing room. By making a financial plan now, it would be possible to pay a couple months of two car payments for finding the right car, as long as you know VW comes forth with your cash in a timely manner.
What is this 90 day take-back limit? I am unable to find any info on something like that.

earthwormjim

TDI
Golf
I paid $18,000 (after tax) for my 2012 Golf TDI back in March of 2015. Calculating what I'll get from the buyback, $22,000, I'll have made a $4,000 profit on the sale price of the car.

I'm pretty happy with the settlement. Do I want more? Who doesn't? But I'll gladly accept the buyback terms as they stand.

Now I just have to decide what to replace the car with. Maybe a MK4 Golf TDI, or with the extra money, maybe import a nice E30 wagon.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
However, I believe the lease folks might be getting the short end if I understand correctly. 2013 Jetta no options, cancelled lease and approx $3100 back. Doesn't exactly make me whole.In fact, it doesn't cover even half the lease payments made let alone restitution.
What loss have lessees suffered, for which they need to be compensated? Pre-9/18 buyers have suffered a loss--their cars are worth less than they otherwise would be. But lessees didn't own the car anyway, so the loss in value doesn't harm them. Why should all your lease payments be repaid?

Status
Not open for further replies.