A Thread is a Terrible Thing to Waste

pushgears

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 A3 TDI
This is an open appeal to the admins of this forum from a veteran member:
There has never been a time like this in the history of the TDI. The BIGGEST scandal in automotive history that directly impacted a group of enthusiasts has us all somewhat emotional.:D:mad::rolleyes::confused:
Perhaps you would consider letting some of these threads live on, or better yet, maybe create more structure to the forum topics for members' comments.
Speaking of comments, how about consolidating the members' buy-back/fix/end lease settlement comments and submitting them to Judge Breyer on everyone's behalf? That would be far more productive than killing threads.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Can't speak for other moderators but I am not shutting down ALL discussions. I'm only shutting down threads that I view as redundant or pointless. And there have been a lot of those.

If you want to make a new thread:
(1) Is there a somewhat recent thread that already exists which already covers the subject matter that you wish to bring up, or somewhere near that subject matter? If so, continue the existing thread.
(2) Topics that consist of pointless banter, or pointless bellyaching and complaining, are gonna get locked.

I've been gone for two days on a business trip. I've got plenty of stuff going on that doesn't involve watching internet forums 24/7.

edit: The consolidation of the locked threads into the new main discussion thread was someone else's handiwork. I haven't had time to do anything of the sort lately.

Last edited:

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
I posted screenshots of the 2015 NADA black book from sept 2015, crosslinked from imgr.

Someone moved them and buried them in the how to calculate values thread. They should have been stickied instead. How many people have asked for that info for transparency?

Im done. people can find the stuff on their own. Its your forum. Mod it how you will.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
I'm a member of numerous forums for my other vehicles and motorcycles.

This forum is the ONLY forum that is run with no common sense.

Blindsider

TDI
10 JSW and 15 Golf dsg
The behavior of the mods is pretty bizarre in my opinion. The biggest event that will ever effect the members of this forum and they want to go around locking and moving threads into one giant cluster thread that is impossible to keep track of or find info in. Why not just make a separate sub category for diesel gate threads? It's already contained in the emissions section and people make pointless threads in every other section every day.

RollingCoal

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Tdi SEL
I posted screenshots of the 2015 NADA black book from sept 2015, crosslinked from imgr.

Someone moved them and buried them in the how to calculate values thread. They should have been stickied instead. How many people have asked for that info for transparency?

Im done. people can find the stuff on their own. Its your forum. Mod it how you will.
I really would have loved to see that screen shot! I've been looking all over for that info.

MichVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW DSG. 2011 Golf TDI 4DR 6MT
The behavior of the mods is pretty bizarre in my opinion. The biggest event that will ever effect the members of this forum and they want to go around locking and moving threads into one giant cluster thread that is impossible to keep track of or find info in. Why not just make a separate sub category for diesel gate threads? It's already contained in the emissions section and people make pointless threads in every other section every day.

Yep ^^^^^^^^ this

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Yeah, I think it's pretty bad. I created my threads in an attempt to structure and focus the discussion of certain settlement aspects (blatant misrepresentation of its goal in the first line of the main settlement document; rampant misinformation on owner compensation in the media). If a mod just doesn't like the breadth and depth of the discussion of dieselgate, maybe he/she should rethink his/her motivation to be a moderator on this particular subforum, or at least excuse him/herself from moderating threads that discuss this issue.

dgoodhue

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 6MT JSW
I think their is some good information in some of these threads and even the main thread that is getting buried so quickly that it is impossible to find. Many of them I agree are just off shoots of the two main threads. I can no longer read the main thread because of all the belly aching. The 2015 NADA book values screen is a good information. Their is a post of the VW fix schedule that is good information. It would be nice if someone took the time to move these to information thread, almost like FAQ that is locked. We could create a new topic to nominate posts for a locked information thread.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
This is an open appeal to the admins of this forum from a veteran member:
There has never been a time like this in the history of the TDI. The BIGGEST scandal in automotive history that directly impacted a group of enthusiasts has us all somewhat emotional.:D:mad::rolleyes::confused:
Perhaps you would consider letting some of these threads live on, or better yet, maybe create more structure to the forum topics for members' comments. Speaking of comments, how about consolidating the members' buy-back/fix/end lease settlement comments and submitting them to Judge Breyer on everyone's behalf? That would be far more productive than killing threads.
Respectfully, I disagree. (1) This is not the biggest scandal in automotive history. (2) There have several times like this in the history of the TDI, depending on your perspective (mine is obviously different). (3) "Dieselgate" is not making me emotional.

Redundant threads should be locked, as they often are for other topics. Threads that fail to contribute in a respectful and meaningful way should be locked, as they have been for other topics that became too emotional. Threads that descend into name calling, inappropriate behavior, and largely consist of posts which fail to contribute to the discussion in a mature manner should be locked, as has been done for other topics. How do we avoid having threads locked? We do it through our own good behavior as members of Fred's. Instead of creating a new thread, members should search for the existing thread(s) on the same topic and post in those. This mantra exists for every other topic, the "importance" of "dieselgate" does not make it a topic immune from this concept.

As for the moderators serving as the lay law representatives to TDIClub members who identify as injured parties (by collecting comments and submitting them to judges), I guess that one is so far away from the reality of what role and function TDIClub has served over the years, I'm not sure how to even breach the chasm that divides our understandings.

Otherwise:

As for Fred's being run with no common sense: I totally disagree. I, too, (like many others) have been a member of other forums. In addition, I visit hundreds of forums a year where I am not a member. IMO, Fred's is one of the few great informational resources and communities on the internet. I can't possibly spend the time detailing how terrific the site (and members) have been over the years, but doing isn't necessary for most long time members. The role of the moderators has been an important part of this, probably more important than many folks recognize- even when members disagree with them (which I have). Over the years I have noticed changes to the community, many not for the better, as new members join and attempt to post content (or in a manner) similar to "all their other forums," yet find it is not always appreciated here. Fred's is (or has been) different. I am thankful for that. Some members seem to join Fred's under the impression that any forum rules or guidelines for conduct and operation don't apply to them- or that they can ignore them without consequence. Still others join to troll and bait and disrupt otherwise healthy discussions, often as an outgrowth of their personal opposition to diesel cars or diesel fuel (or VW as a whole). I understand that in terms of "dieselgate," many members want a place to vent, to rant, or seek and share information. That's great, but it doesn't mean we should ignore the manner in which this information is presented- and (as far as I'm concerned), we don't need 400 threads covering the same 20 topics.

As for the suggestions to better organize the threads, that's reasonable. From my perspective, very little of the content has to do with emissions, and would be better served by a new forum dedicated to the "scandal."

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
We're working on it. There is a lot going on right now, as I'm pretty sure you can imagine. I'll agree that merging and locking some of the threads may not have been the best course of action, but we are working on creating a new system for Dieselgate discussion. This will hopefully include a new Dieselgate forum with relevant stickies and various threads to discuss the individual sections or clauses of the settlement.

The details of Dieselgate are as new to us as they are to you. We expected a lot of traffic with the new settlement details, but the volume we're experiencing is beyond what we had anticipated. We thank you for your patience! :)

Blindsider

TDI
10 JSW and 15 Golf dsg
Thank you. There seems to be information and misinformation so it's hard to figure out without a detailed discussion on each. A lot of angles to the story.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
We're working on it. There is a lot going on right now, as I'm pretty sure you can imagine. I'll agree that merging and locking some of the threads may not have been the best course of action, but we are working on creating a new system for Dieselgate discussion. This will hopefully include a new Dieselgate forum with relevant stickies and various threads to discuss the individual sections or clauses of the settlement.
Excellent news, and thank you and the other mods for all their hard work. I think a lot of information got buried in the initial flood, such as posts highlighting the information on potential fixes buried in the documents. Personally I'm much more interested in information like that than reading all the complaints about everyone not getting a new BMW diesel out of the deal :)

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta

THANK YOU... now I just have to figure out how to read that thing... What the Hell is a Jetta 5 cylinder?

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
The details of Dieselgate are as new to us as they are to you. We expected a lot of traffic with the new settlement details, but the volume we're experiencing is beyond what we had anticipated. We thank you for your patience! :)

My confusion is... why do the mods care SO MUCH about a repeated thread? I've never seen such concern on different forums. I'm very active on the Corvette forum and there are repeated questions/topics all the time, and guess what, the sky doesnt fall because that happens, life moves on :) Those repeated threads usually get ignored and just die out on their own after a few responses.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
My confusion is... why do the mods care SO MUCH about a repeated thread? I've never seen such concern on different forums. I'm very active on the Corvette forum and there are repeated questions/topics all the time, and guess what, the sky doesnt fall because that happens, life moves on :) Those repeated threads usually get ignored and just die out on their own after a few responses.
Except with this situation that's not what happens. Every forum subheading becomes clogged with the same crap day in and day out as potentially hundreds of thousands of new members sign up to complain about any and everything dieselgate scandal, most of which aren't typical contributing members of enthusiast forums, just people who want to rant.

The mods police this nightmare for free while living lives and working jobs, and from my perspective they are attempting to keep actual content from being completely buried under hundreds of rants a day. Not a job I envy at this juncture in time.

Cut them a break. This was the TDI forum, not the dieselgate rant forum. there are more TDIs than just 09 thru 15.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
^ You got it. People make multiple threads of the same topic and the result is clutter. And then if a question gets answered in one place, it doesn't get answered in the other one.

Not everything gets combined into Dieselgate ... I just combined two variations of "Where did my thread go" into one single "Where did my thread go". :)

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Except with this situation that's not what happens. Every forum subheading becomes clogged with the same crap day in and day out as potentially hundreds of thousands of new members sign up to complain about any and everything dieselgate scandal, most of which aren't typical contributing members of enthusiast forums, just people who want to rant.

The mods police this nightmare for free while living lives and working jobs, and from my perspective they are attempting to keep actual content from being completely buried under hundreds of rants a day. Not a job I envy at this juncture in time.

Cut them a break. This was the TDI forum, not the dieselgate rant forum. there are more TDIs than just 09 thru 15.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

EXACTLY!

There are still many old MK-III/B4s out there that need love. There are tens of thousands of MK-IVs and PDs. We have lots of people still interested in modding their older TDIs. There are hundreds of conversions people are interested in.

We are TDIClub where we have been promoting TDI advocacy for 20 years, not the entitled whiney ranting SPV (http://boozecouncil.org/spv/) club who are looking to exploit VW.

TDIClub will continue to be valid long after dieselgate has faded away.

Drive more and worry less.

:)

Last edited:

smithey

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SE
As a newbie who's read for a couple of years now (thanks for teaching me how to break in my first TDI), I just want to thank the mods for keeping this an excellent source of information. The interwebs can be an astounding pit of fighting and garbage, but these boards have mostly been an excellent source of information and new things to consider in light of what's happening.

You have a thankless job that you do in your "spare time". So I just want to let you know I'm grateful for the fact that you're trying to keep this crazy ship afloat.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
My confusion is... why do the mods care SO MUCH about a repeated thread?
Actually there are many examples here of repeated threads that we don't try to merge or lock. Do a search on just about any VW related subject (except dieselgate) and you will find multiple threads about it. The problem with the dieselgate and the settlement threads is that the repeated threads are happening at an astounding rate. When you start getting 20 new threads about the same subject every hour (or more), then it becomes a serious problem. Everybody seems to believe that their question (or comment) is unique and therefore deserves its own separate thread. This just creates a mess that is far worse than Threadzilla and now ThreadzillaII. It should get better when things get re-organized a bit. We shall see how that works out.

Have Fun!

Don

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I appreciate how this forum is run. Mods can very often be in a no-win situation with a diverse group of forum contributors. I have never seen a thread I considered wholly substantive interfered with on TDI Club.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
I think it was a very good idea to move all the 2009+ emissions fraud (aka dieselgate) stuff into their own subforum, and let things (threads) sort themselves out there. That way I can keep up on technical stuff on the other forums (I'm starting to have some questions about 2015+ GSWs...), and follow a subset of dieselgate aspects without trying to wade through one giant thread.