New tdi?

jellomania

TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium
so, i've said since all this came out that i would only do the buyback if there's a new tdi to replace it. Anyone have any clue if/when new TDI vehicles will be available? i LOVE my passat TDI (it's my second one).. and i would only replace it with another.

V-Rod

Veteran Member
TDI
2014, 06 Jetta TDI Auto
I would like to replace my TDI with a new one to. But it doesn't sound like it's going to be anytime soon.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
In the settlement documents, there are descriptions of what VW's currently proposed fixes are, spelled out for each generation. None of these proposed fixes have been approved by EPA or CARB. The proposed fixes for generation 3 (EA288) are, surprisingly, more intensive than for the other two generations - but the other two generations are based on EPA/CARB accepting a higher emissions level than the standards allow, which is likely a non-starter.

Apparently part of the problem involves that the system is unable to detect whether you filled the DEF tank with DEF, or with something else (like water) ...

I wouldn't count on VW TDI vehicles becoming available in the North American market again, with the possible exception of high-end models where they can absorb the price premium - and they'll drink DEF like there's no tomorrow.

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 passat, 2000 Golf, 2003 Allroad tdi
You have a 2015, so it's fixable, and no 2016's or 2017's coming. So I would keeps yours. Get fix and delete and save parts in garage.