What's gonna go down on Tuesday?

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
I'm excited to hear the news. But what new exactly are we going to get? I'm considering my 2013 Jetta get bought back. Are we getting released info on when they can buy back the cars? Or what? Can someone tell me what they will announce?

surroundsound64

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDi
I'm hoping there isn't some manditory buy back to receive financial compensation. I love my car and don't want anything changed. It would just be nice to get some money for diminished value.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I'm excited to hear the news. But what new exactly are we going to get? I'm considering my 2013 Jetta get bought back. Are we getting released info on when they can buy back the cars? Or what? Can someone tell me what they will announce?
It's only Monday. How can we know what they announce before they announce it?

Mike91326

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I'm hoping there isn't some manditory buy back to receive financial compensation. I love my car and don't want anything changed. It would just be nice to get some money for diminished value.
My best guess is you get "bonus cash" when you get the fix (if there is one) or sell your car back to VW. If you don't do anything, you don't get cash.

CSR Penfab

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux Tdi
Waiting patiently for tomorrow... Come on VW, you'll either make us all fans again, or you'll eff us in the aye and lose many many customers. I'm on the edge, and any sheenanigans at this point and you'll lose a life long VW customer.

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
My best guess is you get "bonus cash" when you get the fix (if there is one) or sell your car back to VW. If you don't do anything, you don't get cash.
You'll get the cash if you agree to get the mythical fix, which will turn out the same as doing nothing (depending on which TDI you own).

vintovka

Banned
TDI
NO MORE VW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You'll get the cash if you agree to get the mythical fix, which will turn out the same as doing nothing (depending on which TDI you own).
Keeping the car and the cash may be a losing proposition any way you word it. I think the diesel emissions hardware was/is too complicated and was doomed from the start. VW must have known it and resorted to the big Lie to make sales. I think those few who can keep their cars and rip out ALL the epa crap will be the long term winners. Just keeping the DEF parts operational may be a challenge. IMHO DEF is just a big bandaid anyway.

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
Keeping the car and the cash may be a losing proposition any way you word it. I think the diesel emissions hardware was/is too complicated and was doomed from the start. VW must have known it and resorted to the big Lie to make sales. I think those few who can keep their cars and rip out ALL the epa crap will be the long term winners. Just keeping the DEF parts operational may be a challenge. IMHO DEF is just a big bandaid anyway.
In your case, I agree with you. In my case, (no def) I could collect the cash, sign the "fix" agreement forms and could conceivably drive it til the wheels fall off, likely with no change ever.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
This was sent to me from my wife this morning. Test we still have to wait till tomorrow for the official answer.

http://bloom.bg/28ZfLkM

<snip>
Well, his final "answer" was that there are going to be essentially a multitude of different solutions, based on the age of the vehicle and who knows what else. Since he provides no other details, I'm just going to consider it as another rumor. After all, we've only got until tomorrow until something official breaks.

icecoaster

TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
For the buyback option, I wonder how they will value the vehicles. Will they look at every single car or will it be a simple formula based on mileage?

In any event, one thing is for sure - Canadian owners will probably get screwed. The goodwill package was a $1000 CAD for us. That's 35% less than the US package.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Who knows. If they were smart...they'd just come up with one generous base figure for each vehicle and trim package for each year. That way...they wouldn't be nickel and diming customers and ticking them off.

This is VW and the government that we're talking about though. They'll probably factor in vehicle age, trim, mileage, condition, length of ownership, etc.

flyanddive

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
VW is being forced to buyback the car, so I would tend to believe they would pay you more to keep the car, and then provide a fix that will obviously never come. VW will have to pay the fine anyway, and once the number of cars is substantially reduced via the buyback, grandfathering them in shouldn't be a problem. On paper however, the buyback will look like a better deal.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
In any event, one thing is for sure - Canadian owners will probably get screwed. The goodwill package was a $1000 CAD for us. That's 35% less than the US package.
I always wonder how people calculate this. Did you convert the goodwill payment to US dollars? Are goods you buy in Canada with Canadian dollars 35% more expensive than in the US?

A base Golf in the US actually costs more than it does in Canada.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
VW is being forced to buyback the car, so I would tend to believe they would pay you more to keep the car, and then provide a fix that will obviously never come. VW will have to pay the fine anyway, and once the number of cars is substantially reduced via the buyback, grandfathering them in shouldn't be a problem. On paper however, the buyback will look like a better deal.
You're assuming buybacks are going to happen sooner, rather than later. How about the possibility that VW is going to be given 'X' quantity of months to try and come up with a fix prior to being forced to do buybacks?

I'm not saying that's what I think is going to happen. However, just saying that if they announce buybacks tomorrow...it might be months before that actually happens.

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
For the buyback option, I wonder how they will value the vehicles. Will they look at every single car or will it be a simple formula based on mileage?
Maybe you should be thankful for the coattails. The Europeans got bubkis.

flyanddive

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
You're assuming buybacks are going to happen sooner, rather than later. How about the possibility that VW is going to be given 'X' quantity of months to try and come up with a fix prior to being forced to do buybacks?

I'm not saying that's what I think is going to happen. However, just saying that if they announce buybacks tomorrow...it might be months before that actually happens.
The fix might be possible on the newer models, but it definitely isn't possible on the older EA189 engines, not at a cost effective price anyway. I'm assuming VW is going to gamble on the government settlement to grandfather in the cars at a later date. VW can at least sell the newer cars as used cars in another country, like China. They can't do anything with the older cars.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
The fix might be possible on the newer models, but it definitely isn't possible on the older EA189 engines, not at a cost effective price anyway. I'm assuming VW is going to gamble on the government settlement to grandfather in the cars at a later date. VW can at least sell the newer cars as used cars in another country, like China. They can't do anything with the older cars.
We'll see what tomorrow brings. If what was leaked in the past week is true...they will not be allowed to resell the cars that are bought back. If that's the case...I have to assume they wouldn't be able to just ship them overseas.

swampyankee

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
We'll see what tomorrow brings. If what was leaked in the past week is true...they will not be allowed to resell the cars that are bought back. If that's the case...I have to assume they wouldn't be able to just ship them overseas.
I read something about a no export rule regarding the buyback. Seems draconian to me.....

coloradogolftdi

TDI
2012 Golf TDi
I read something about a no export rule regarding the buyback. Seems draconian to me.....
I get it. Why bother buying them back at all if they are just sending them to another part of the world. The same issue exist. Nothing has changed. Now if they fix them they should be allowed to resell them.

flyanddive

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I get it. Why bother buying them back at all if they are just sending them to another part of the world. The same issue exist. Nothing has changed. Now if they fix them they should be allowed to resell them.
Other countries don't have these emission standards, hell pre 2009 cars don't have these standards, and pollute way more than our cars. That's the whole scam behind dieselgate, VW was trying to hold marketshare until an engine/exhaust system could be developed that met standards. People think they were cheating to give the cars better performance/gas mileage, that is not the case.

JCrouton

TDI
2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I always wonder how people calculate this. Did you convert the goodwill payment to US dollars? Are goods you buy in Canada with Canadian dollars 35% more expensive than in the US?
A base Golf in the US actually costs more than it does in Canada.
Goods we buy in Canada might not be 35% higher than in the USA, but it sure is more expensive to buy things here. The Golf SEL ( highline in Canada) is 2000 more in Canada than it is in the US. Everything cost more in Canada than in the USA. It sucks.