What do you want to do with your 2009-2015 TDI (Poll)?

What do you want to do with your 2009-2015 TDI (if you had the choice)?

• Let VW buy it back (pre-scandal value) + some compensation money.

Votes: 88 59.5%
  • Let VW fix it.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Just keep driving it as is until it falls apart.

Votes: 52 35.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Anybody think VW is trying to drag this thing out....delay...delay...delay...everyday they wait...they home more cars are off the road...

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Bird sh1t this time of year is a real pita. Is it just me or are birds becoming suicidal this time of year ? Sitting on the road, not moving till last second, their judgement is off or they're cocky, or curious young birds that really have dinosaur brains.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I am in the same boat with my 2015 GSW. Its been great but I am really worried about is reliablity after the "Fix". I am taking the money and running. Probably to Acura!
Might consider the GENEROUS ($5,000?) fix,

... then sell the wounded car on the curb(stone)

... a combination of newness and low miles might bring a good price.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Dealer nearby is offering me $30780-$7280=$23500 on a 2016 passat 1.8TSI SE/tech/lightning pack.

If a buyback happens, I expect the dealer will offer no less than this.

Otherwise they'll be playing games with me.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Bird sh1t this time of year is a real pita. Is it just me or are birds becoming suicidal this time of year ? Sitting on the road, not moving till last second, their judgement is off or they're cocky, or curious young birds that really have dinosaur brains.
New Rule:
Anyone posting about bird **** will be banned!

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
New Rule:
Anyone posting about bird **** will be banned!
Speaking of rules, don't forget these: (directly from the forum rules)

[1]No profanity or swearing in subject lines, signatures or body.

[*]Refrain from using profanity or creative spell1ng to get around the censor filters.

[4]No bombing forums or threads with pointless posts.

Try to stay on topic.

Have Fun!

Don

2015golfwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon
I went to the local VW dealer last week to talk about replacing my 2015 TDI SEL Wagon with a 2016 TSI Golf SEL Wagon. The kid at the dealer was really rude and insisted there will be no Buyback from VW. He said "since when do you see any car manufacturer doing that, Peoples faces are being ripped off with shrapnel from defected air bags by other car manufactures, do you see them buying back any cars, nope" He went on and on. I asked him if he had read the transcripts of the court hearing with the Judge saying there would be a buy back or a fix at the discretion of the customer, he said it was all meaningless. This is a VW salesman saying this who is suppose to be trying to sell me a new VW. You would think the dealers would welcome a buyback as they will sell more cars. Anyhow, after this, I'm done with VW, no more. I will get a new Mercedes as soon as the 2017 E series wagons come out. It will cost a lot more, but like the saying goes, you get what you pay for. As Mr. Wonderful would say "VW is dead to me"

str1ck

TDI
2015 Sportwagen Golf TDI
I went to the local VW dealer last week to talk about replacing my 2015 TDI SEL Wagon with a 2016 TSI Golf SEL Wagon. The kid at the dealer was really rude and insisted there will be no Buyback from VW. He said "since when do you see any car manufacturer doing that, Peoples faces are being ripped off with shrapnel from defected air bags by other car manufactures, do you see them buying back any cars, nope" He went on and on. I asked him if he had read the transcripts of the court hearing with the Judge saying there would be a buy back or a fix at the discretion of the customer, he said it was all meaningless. This is a VW salesman saying this who is suppose to be trying to sell me a new VW. You would think the dealers would welcome a buyback as they will sell more cars. Anyhow, after this, I'm done with VW, no more. I will get a new Mercedes as soon as the 2017 E series wagons come out. It will cost a lot more, but like the saying goes, you get what you pay for. As Mr. Wonderful would say "VW is dead to me"
You gotta figure that any of the veteran salesman have left the VW dealerships long ago. When I went for my 10K service there were a bunch of community college girls who didn't know the first thing about cars trying to sell them. It was pretty embarrassing for the dealership. I can tell you the only people in the dealership were those getting service.

2015golfwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon
Your right, what good professional sales person would want to be affiliated with VW at this point? They'd move onto other companies like MB, BMW, etc. The dealer I was also sells Audi and looks like at this point they are mainly focusing on that brand, they parked all the VW's around back and put all the Audi's up front.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I still want to keep my TDI. It will be a rare vehicle after most are bought back. It will be desirable again in a few years when gas is $5/gallon and no more TDI vehicles are offered by VW. I'm in for the long haul.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
You gotta figure that any of the veteran salesman have left the VW dealerships long ago. When I went for my 10K service there were a bunch of community college girls who didn't know the first thing about cars trying to sell them. It was pretty embarrassing for the dealership. I can tell you the only people in the dealership were those getting service.
Over my 30+ years of new car buying, IMHO, most of the salespeople don't have a clue about the cars they are selling. Even in the days before the internet, I was better informed about the specifics of the cars I was considering than the salesman. The good ones that stand out were the older gentleman that sold us the 03 Avalanche. He knew his trucks inside and out. And the VW dealer that we tried to buy the first 2000 beetle from. Again, a very well informed salesperson but in the end, not as honest as was needed. Offered to hold the car for the day until I could get there without a deposit. They sold the car around 4, while I was on the way there. Gave up leather, but bought the same car at a different dealer the next day.

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
Reports say VW will submit a $10 billion dollar plan for dieselgate with $6.5 billion of that going towards owners

That would be roughly an average of $13K per owner but I am sure some will get more than that and some much less

What I do will depend on how much I get. If I get the car paid off and pocket $5K or more it is gone

Anything less than $5K and I probably keep.

GigaFire

TDI
2012 CW Golf
If the numbers pan out and I'm able to clear my finance like other owners who did and got blindsided, I'll take my money and run. While the TDI is a great do-it-all car (and decently fun at autocross), I'm thinking of moving into something more upscale if brand incentives are no good.

I've always had my eye on the Audi S4 so...

loop7

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
With the current unofficial VW offer, If I am VW I would double the additional compensation as credit toward another VW. So for a short period they potentially sell 500K cars, no cash from their pockets and they keep bunch of happy customers. They need to make this process easy and worth while, otherwise they will loose lots and lots of customers
That's actually a good idea. VW could keep a lot of people "in the family" with this type of offer.

lawnarjax

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL, 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, 1994 Safari Trek (Isuzu 4BD2TC)
Yeah I was thinking it would be great if they doubled up on the cash payout if you bought a new one. I would still be looking to ditch my 2010 JSW for a 328d, but my wife has a matching 2010 JSW that she might want to upgrade on. VW needs to retain as many of the near 500k customers as they can, even if it means taking a hit on the 2016-2017 margins.

Which actually makes me wonder if I am in for a multiplier as an owner of 2 JSW TDI's? I got 2 goodwill packages, nothing extra there. But I have been WRONGED you honor!!! J/K:D

mydecember1985

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW 6MT ;2011 JSW (buy-back May 2017)
You gotta figure that any of the veteran salesman have left the VW dealerships long ago.
2 veteran service reps and 3 sales(wo)men left our dealership all within a period of about 2 months back in April-May of last year. I inquired about 4 of them and apparently not a single one still works for the VW family tree. Couldn't get much info on the 5th. He moved up into South Carolina or something.

Makes me wonder if they knew what was coming.....

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
What was funny to me at my last dealer visit was seeing the 2.slows I think 13s or 14s on the lot for $11k just off leases. If you want to talk about no frills rides there's always the 2.slow VW dealers still sell.
A 2 year old car with 24k on the clock for $11Gs..hmmm
And despite my prior optimism over the Chattanooga Passat, the base versions cloth seat (aka flat bottom seat) was disappointing, made me want to run away quick to my Jetta's leatherette which is much easier to find a comfortable contoured position.
Selling a new Passat "out the door" cash price no frills (no roof, leather, steelies etc) for $22-23k with a cheap cloth seat. The salesman himself called it a "flat bottomed seat" and all I could do was laugh along with him and think of the "fat bottomed girls" song.:eek:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Yeah I was thinking it would be great if they doubled up on the cash payout if you bought a new one. I would still be looking to ditch my 2010 JSW for a 328d, but my wife has a matching 2010 JSW that she might want to upgrade on. VW needs to retain as many of the near 500k customers as they can, even if it means taking a hit on the 2016-2017 margins.

Which actually makes me wonder if I am in for a multiplier as an owner of 2 JSW TDI's? I got 2 goodwill packages, nothing extra there. But I have been WRONGED you honor!!! J/K:D
I'm in the boat next to you. Just that one of my VWs shrank. I liked the $2000 goodwill cards and think the wife still has all of her $500 dealer money. Our problem, like yours, is that if I have to get rid of both cars, how do I afford to replace them? I guess my 07 canyon becomes my dd and the wife gets a new car.

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
The End Is Nigh, If Not For Volkswagen, Then At Least For Diesel

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bertels...swagen-then-at-least-for-diesel/#dfc0e69b6302

If Volkswagen is not quite at its end, then at least the diesel is, Volkswagen’s CEO Matthias Müller signaled in an interview with Germany’s Handelsblatt. “At some point in time, there will be the question whether we should continue to invest a lot of money into the further development of the diesel powertrain,” Müller said. “To clean the diesel exhaust will become involved, and expensive,” Müller told the Handelsblatt. Actually, it already is involved and expensive to build exhaust treatment that works reliably in all traffic, and not just when the car is on the test bench. Volkswagen already stopped the sales of all diesel models in the U.S.A., “and it is a completely open question whether Volkswagen will offer diesel models in America ever again,” writes Der Spiegel.

tjdeerslayer37

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi plat gray
What I do will depend on how much I get. If I get the car paid off and pocket $5K or more it is gone.
i'm here too, I have no intentions of getting rid of my car unless the deal is sweet, although ive decided on what I owe on the car + $4k or more for it to be worth it. I figure its highly unlikely that I'll get this much (or any with a modded car) so ill likely be driving it into the ground :D

If by some chance I get a sweet deal, ill be moving into a duramax gmc canyon.

2015golfwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon
How about just inject clorox bleach into the exhaust that ought to clean it up, no maybe not a good idea, then everyone will be suing VW as the paint will be falling off in the cars behind the TDI :)

Santa2ya

TDI
None
Hoping for a buy back. This vehicle has been in the shop more times than the 3 new vehicles I have purchased since 1992, combined.

tejastommy

TDI
2013 Jetta DSG
Originally Posted by koop View Post

With the current unofficial VW offer, If I am VW I would double the additional compensation as credit toward another VW. So for a short period they potentially sell 500K cars, no cash from their pockets and they keep bunch of happy customers. They need to make this process easy and worth while, otherwise they will loose lots and lots of customers
That's actually a good idea. VW could keep a lot of people "in the family" with this type of offer.

And if you are a dealership of any other vehicle brand, what kind of offers are you preparing in anticipation of VW attempting to keep the money in the family? There's going to be plenty of VW $$$ flying around soon, what dealership in their right mind isn't going to try grabbing as much of it as possible(sympathetically of course)...

Last edited:

vinny6737TDI

TDI
13PassatTDI HighLine
What I will Choose

I'm hoping that VW will put TDIs back in the dealerships ASAP so that I can take a new Model off their showroom floor and pocket the $5000. Any word of new models?:mad::D