What do you want to do with your 2009-2015 TDI (Poll)?

What do you want to do with your 2009-2015 TDI (if you had the choice)?

• Let VW buy it back (pre-scandal value) + some compensation money.

Votes: 88 59.5%
  • Let VW fix it.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Just keep driving it as is until it falls apart.

Votes: 52 35.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

koop

TDI
2010 Jetta
With the current unofficial VW offer, If I am VW I would double the additional compensation as credit toward another VW. So for a short period they potentially sell 500K cars, no cash from their pockets and they keep bunch of happy customers. They need to make this process easy and worth while, otherwise they will loose lots and lots of customers

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen DSG - Sold back to VW. Replaced with Sportwagen 2.5 GAS
Keep it and get some money from VW :)

turborod

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Sport Wagon
Yup. BMW 328 D X drive sport wagon is very nice ride. It's dual turbo charged. 8 speed.
No manual. Canyons I carved, without hitting the brakes, at 80 with the JSW I can easily do over 90 now!

It'll do about 80 at 2000 rpm. Gas mileage isn't as good. Seems their computer isn't as accurate as the JSW.

Downside with mine was the HPFP went out at 17k. Gave me a 328 gas loaner and is all fixed after 3 weeks. Figured that should of sorted this out years ago. It sat on the lot for a few months and I drove it once with diesel level at almost empty.

I like to keep it in the first sport trans gear when I drive for quicker response. I do want to save the wear and tear on the turbos. With a dual turbo does it mean I'll get normal turbo wear? Twice as long? When one goes out I'll have to replace 2? Won't be for another 100k knock on wood.

The Dakota bright red leather really nice to see every day.....

Depending how my finances go I might keep the JSW and take the $. HPFP been replaced, turbo been replaced for the 2nd time, the DPF filter is plugged and it has 240k enjoyable miles on it. Give it to my youngest after I put on a bypass, micron filter and new paint.

Good luck all

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Yup. BMW 328 D X drive sport wagon is very nice ride. It's dual turbo charged. 8 speed.
No manual. Canyons I carved, without hitting the brakes, at 80 with the JSW I can easily do over 90 now!

It'll do about 80 at 2000 rpm. Gas mileage isn't as good. Seems their computer isn't as accurate as the JSW.

Downside with mine was the HPFP went out at 17k. Gave me a 328 gas loaner and is all fixed after 3 weeks. Figured that should of sorted this out years ago. It sat on the lot for a few months and I drove it once with diesel level at almost empty.

I like to keep it in the first sport trans gear when I drive for quicker response. I do want to save the wear and tear on the turbos. With a dual turbo does it mean I'll get normal turbo wear? Twice as long? When one goes out I'll have to replace 2? Won't be for another 100k knock on wood.

The Dakota bright red leather really nice to see every day.....

Depending how my finances go I might keep the JSW and take the $. HPFP been replaced, turbo been replaced for the 2nd time, the DPF filter is plugged and it has 240k enjoyable miles on it. Give it to my youngest after I put on a bypass, micron filter and new paint.

Good luck all
The HPFP went on the BMW?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I thought all of the BMW HPFP issues were with the gassers. maybe not!

vinny6737TDI

TDI
13PassatTDI HighLine
Buy Back

I've got 92,000kms(not Miles) on a 2.0L Jetta TDI Trendline that is 23 months old. If, what I'm hearing is right, there will be a 3 year window to decide/opt for whatever path we choose. For me, it's easy: Let VW buy back my vehicle, after I have gone to the end of the 3-year window. Remember depreciation will be deducted pre-scandal frame. For a friend, who has 10,000kms on a 2012 Golf TDI(yes, I know), her option is clearer-Fix my car and give me some $$.

turborod

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Sport Wagon
Yup

HPFP went out.....

Replaced free

Sat on the lot and I drove it near empty once

Called Propel fuel and they came back 3 weeks later said their fuel is clean.

I'm sure I have an upgraded one now. Better coating for the decreased lubricity in Cali diesel?

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
Just curious, when the hpfp failed in the 328d, did it send metal shavings all throughout the fuel system?

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
Just curious, when the hpfp failed in the 328d, did it send metal shavings all throughout the fuel system?
The one in my 335i didnt. And it blew two of them

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
dunno for sure

Waiting to see the "FIX-IT" offer

If it is really generous -- may take the fix -- what will seal the deal is any long term WARRANTY the Judge orders with the deal.

Ignorant me Can't figure out HOW to vote on this poll

Last edited:

Kylarean

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Ignorant me Can't figure out HOW to vote on this poll
The poll is closed.

OT: I don't know what I'm going to do yet. It depends on what is offered. I'm moving from WV (no emissions tests) to WA (I don't think diesels are currently tested) next month. And because of that move and still working the same job, I'll be remotely working so won't really be driving anymore.

OTOH, I love this car. I've had nothing wrong with it, got all the maintenance when needed, love the MPG, love the torque, etc. I'll hate to part with it if it comes to that.

jimbo1mcm

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM Blue 2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM's Silver and Blue
I am going to take the buyout and run. The regulators want diesel exhaust to smell like Chanel#9. Too complicated an emission system.

turborod

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Sport Wagon
Metal shavings went thru out entire system of the 328 DX wagon

All fuel lines, injectors, filter housing, tank, pumps etc replaced.

I have a feeling this is shared technology with VW. EG., both 2 liter engines, direct injection, turbo powered (BMW has 2), HPFP?

Will look into rigging up a 1 or 2 micron fuel filter installation.

Still have 25k on my warranty. They wanted $5k for a 100k additional warranty. I declined. I hope the turbos make it at least to 150k miles. Hopefully no more HPFP issues.
Won't have to worry about a DPF (filter) issue since I have an urea tank now (as opposed to my clogged JSW).

My 09 (one of the first in SOCal) JSW has close to 250 k miles, a clogged DPF, on its 3rd turbo, second HPFP, 3rd windshield.........

If VW offers me $5k for it and $5k for my troubles I'll use that $10k to refinance the 328Dx lower my payments.

Any lower I'll keep it. I'll install a bypass pipe and hand it to my youngest with a new paint job. I'll sell the 2000 Jetta TDI I'm giving to him and do ready some new paint and sell that and use that $ to reduce the BMW note.

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta

I have a feeling this is shared technology with VW. EG., both 2 liter engines, direct injection, turbo powered (BMW has 2), HPFP?

Will look into rigging up a 1 or 2 micron fuel filter installation.

Still have 25k on my warranty. They wanted $5k for a 100k additional warranty. I declined. I hope the turbos make it at least to 150k miles. Hopefully no more HPFP issues.
Won't have to worry about a DPF (filter) issue since I have an urea tank now (as opposed to my clogged JSW).

My 09 (one of the first in SOCal) JSW has close to 250 k miles, a clogged DPF, on its 3rd turbo, second HPFP, 3rd windshield.........

If VW offers me $5k for it and $5k for my troubles I'll use that $10k to refinance the 328Dx lower my payments.

Any lower I'll keep it. I'll install a bypass pipe and hand it to my youngest with a new paint job. I'll sell the 2000 Jetta TDI I'm giving to him and do ready some new paint and sell that and use that $ to reduce the BMW note.

Thanks for the info, turborod. I think you just cured any remaining desire of mine to buy another diesel. Sorry to hear you've had so many issues.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Thanks for the info, turborod. I think you just cured any remaining desire of mine to buy another diesel. Sorry to hear you've had so many issues.
Pretty much this /\

I've considered a 328D wagon, but if they have the same kind (or similar) of HPFP, NO THANKS.

The 335d E90 is still brewing in the back of my mind... But loosing the hatchback and backseat legroom is a bit of a show stopper. Heck that's partly why I didn't get one of those to begin with when I was hunting for a car last go round.

Can't wait to hear the news next week for what the detailed plans will be. only then will I know what my plans will be.

turborod

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Sport Wagon
However,

The Upside,

Canyon corners I could do before at 80 without hitting the brakes in the JSW I can easily do in the 90's in 328Dx

Doing anywhere from 33-41!mpg. I'm a very safe but spirited driver.

Super quiet, what an interior ( I have the Dakota red leather), the sport package, the xenon lights, dual pano sun roof, upgraded backup package, keyless entry, Harmon Kardon 16 speaker, rear and front appearance upgrade and the prestige.

Seen a white one ar the Staters in Walnut, Ca. A few on the freeway in these last 4 months but those are exception not the norm.

This stage of my baby boomer life it's the car I can afford. I do a lot of driving, 40k a year.
Mostly freeways around L.A. And some high speed freeways in the desert. I learned in a 1959 light blue Fiat 600 multiplex here SoCal, have had my share of diesel 4wd Suburbans, motorcycles and have a 4wd F-150 Crew now as well but not driving a Honda, Toyota.... Etc
(While I can).

I save time with my 328Dx.

str1ck

TDI
2015 Sportwagen Golf TDI
I want them to take this thing, this money-pit, back! This'll be the first and last VW for me.
I am in the same boat with my 2015 GSW. Its been great but I am really worried about is reliablity after the "Fix". I am taking the money and running. Probably to Acura!

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
Just before I turn mine in, probably @ 18 months from now, I'm thinking about leaving it outside in the 'elements' for a few days...

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

The common factor is a Bosch CP4-series HPFP. A good many modern automotive and light-truck diesels use this pump and VW has been far from the only manufacturer to have trouble with it.

Simple rule of thumb; if it has a Bosch CP4 HPFP then I'm not buying it.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Even with a <1% chance of the CP4 failure, we continue to roll the dice.

Horrible story there with the BMW wagon, that's surprising.

I guess this becomes a mathematics case for VW bean counters. Given the small percentage of failures not feasible for them to recall their pathetic HPFP and give us the real deal with what I'm guessing is the CP3.

My only safeguards have been to do the fuel filter regularly and check the canister for metal shavings and fill up only at the same high volume busy diesel station with high turnover. Some have recommended an additive.

Others have recommended the junkyard or crusher.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I've considered a 328D wagon
I parked next to a 328 wagon yesterday. After peeking through the wondows and getting a better feeling of size, it will not be one of the cars on my list. I'd sooner buy a gasser GSW (assuming TDI is not available) at about half the price. I know most of you are talking about used or CPO but I'd rather have a new diesel so I know how it's been treated.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I parked next to a 328 wagon yesterday. After peeking through the wondows and getting a better feeling of size, it will not be one of the cars on my list. I'd sooner buy a gasser GSW (assuming TDI is not available) at about half the price. I know most of you are talking about used or CPO but I'd rather have a new diesel so I know how it's been treated.
Indeed! the GSW is much bigger inside. :cool:

turborod

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Sport Wagon
328 DX has a longer and wider track. Use to it now
More opulent.

4wd pulls better around corners.

One SoCal dude took out the front axle making it 2 wd and installed a power tune and that's a monster Now.

turborod

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Sport Wagon
Uses the Bosch CP-4 series pump.
Same happened at 103k with my JSW.
At 250k now without HPFP problems.
Is it replaced with a newer generation one, GoFaster?
Different brand one?

vintovka

Banned
TDI
NO MORE VW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If the "compensation" mandates a "fix" that reduces mileage its a no brainer -- The car is gone.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Just before I turn mine in, probably @ 18 months from now, I'm thinking about leaving it outside in the 'elements' for a few days...

Park under a bridge....that happens....seen it under metro-north commuter rail bridges that have tons of pigeons living under them on the CT shore....

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
i'll be strongly considering a 328d if and when an attractive buyback is on the table... HPFP boogieman just doesn't scare me much. maybe i'm just naive.
best case would be a serious incentive to stay in the family and move up to Audi tdi (Q5, maybe an A3)