Short Distance Trips

richfunk

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I just recently moved (PCS) to Chesapeake, VA and I only drive 1.7 miles one way to work. I used to drve 30 miles one way to work before I moved here. My question is would it cause any problems drive my TDI such a short distance. I know that the car wouldn't run long enough for regen so would it cause problems with the DPF?

-Rich

Locnar

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT
I only go about 8 miles one way to work, but I also like to joyride once or twice a week if I can and drive fairly aggressively during those trips (when I can get away with it). I haven't had any issues, but I realize that is over 4 times your commute.

If you can get it out on the open road from time to time, you shouldn't have any problems.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
There is really no big problem with short trips as long as that is not the only thing you do. You really need to take it on longer trips occasionally. Driving only short trips will not let the exhaust system get warm enough for long enough to successfully regenerate the DPF and other catalysts. I have a relatively short commute too (about 6 miles), but I regularly make sure to take the long way home and put at least 20 miles on it. Then on weekends I usually take it out onto the highway and run it a high speed (legal of course) for a while. Our cars were really designed to eat up highway miles - it is what they are best at. They thrive on exercise (just like people). Just let her run occasionally and you should be OK.

Have Fun!

Don