MN Chat Thread

02tdivw

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf Tdi
The A4(mk4) 4cyl use the 60-170 front spring . The VR6/TDI and 6speed 1.8T use the 70-170. The R32 uses a 80-170.

US R32 front is 280 lb/inch and is about 1.25" (30mm) lower than the GTi

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
Heated Seats

Hey Guys,
If anyone is looking for a set of heated A3 seats. There is a black 97 Jetta at the Rosemount U-Pull-R that has a set in her. They have some split seams, looks like the stitching let go. I would think an upholstery shop would be able to repair them pretty easily. The rears looked great... wonder how they would look in my 98 with the tan Passat fronts... :eek:

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5. Red, 5 Spd
Whooeeeee!!! my 2.5" Matt Whitbread downpipe arrived!!!!
Chris,

Looks like my final set up will be fairly close to yours. How do you like the added power of the 17/22 with PP520 set up ?

Just ordered the following:

VNT-17/22, 3 Bar MAP, Lift Pump, Whitbread 2.5" DP with Cat, 2.5" Cat Back straight pipe, Custom Kerma Tune.

Last edited:

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Oh yeah the welds are just beautiful. It is the back of my car now. I soaked the clamp with PB Blaster and hopefully they will come off. Matt's advice is a 13mm crow foot and a wobble extension for the hard to reach nut and I have bought that equipment and it should go smoothly. I am bringing my British stainless cutter and we can try it out. I am also bringing my 12 inch miter saw with an abrasive wheel installed as a backup. I ordered some of the blades for my sawzall but they have not arrived yet.

Oh I went the no cat route and leaving the stock muffler in place for the moment. After the down pipe is in it is easy to change from there.

My car in the current state dynoed at 146 hp 265 ft-lb torque at the wheels. It is fun to drive. The most amazing part of my current tune is the boost control. When I stomp on it the boost hops to 24-26 with no overshoot (RC4 is 26 psi max sustained); I don't know if this is Jeff finding a cool algorithm in RC4 or inherent in the 17/22. I can spin the tires in 1st and 2nd for sure, and I do have wheel spin in 4th gear on wet pavement. With RC3 and stock turbo I had to have a boost limiter as it would spike to close to 30 psi when I punched it.

Last edited:

vidpoboy

TDI
2002 black Golf GLS
Timing belt job Needed

Hey all,
I went through this last year when I was in a rush to leave town. I didn't have cash at the time, but I do now. I did last years trip in another car.
This year however, I'm way past needing my timing belt changed and have been very lucky it hasn't gone on me. I'd love to have it done within the next 2 weeks. This weekend if possible.

Are any of the guru's available this week, weekend, or next week to do it? I've got cash in hand.

Thanks,
Bryan

Last edited:

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Are any of the guru's available this week, weekend, or next week to do it? I've got cash in hand.

Thanks,
Bryan
Send a PM to Greengeeker as I am pretty sure he will be at the GTG in Saint Joe this weekend or you can drive to him in Cambridge. You should order the parts today from http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=449&osCsid=nr7k3cgl13jrru1c16m2l0p994 or http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=349 and get a full kit with water pump and all the bolts

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It was suggested that I do that but I have been thinking about it and I am not sure it makes sense. I would think you would want the gases to cool as then there volume would be reduced and then you would have improved flow.

Leppy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 white TDI 1.9l
It was suggested that I do that but I have been thinking about it and I am not sure it makes sense. I would think you would want the gases to cool as then there volume would be reduced and then you would have improved flow.
The main heat wrapping that I have seen is on the exhaust manifold and on the first part of the down pipe. Also a heat shield on the exhaust housing of the turbo. :D dont know about flex pipes :/

vidpoboy

TDI
2002 black Golf GLS
Thanks for the reply Chris, I've sent a PM to Greengeeker, and I already have the belt kit.
Are there any others still doing this in the area, like Deafbug? I haven't been able to keep up with the forum much this last year.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the reply Chris, I've sent a PM to Greengeeker, and I already have the belt kit.
Are there any others still doing this in the area, like Deafbug? I haven't been able to keep up with the forum much this last year.
Yes Brad aka Deafbug is still doing them I think.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Why are you heat wrapping the flex pipe??
From Matt himself:

The heat wrap on the dp is actually for protection of the speed sensor on the transmission. The dp comes about 1" away from the sensor. People run my dp's without heat wrap and no one has had a faliure yet, but a little insurance never hurts.

Leppy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 white TDI 1.9l
From Matt himself:

The heat wrap on the dp is actually for protection of the speed sensor on the transmission. The dp comes about 1" away from the sensor. People run my dp's without heat wrap and no one has had a faliure yet, but a little insurance never hurts.

I can definitely understand that. I guess I had never put much thought to that.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
She's a little dirty inside but it runs great :D

Does anyone have a carfax account by chance? VIN WVWMG63B9WE225140

Jon

Last edited:

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k
Did you buy it!? I see it is already gone. Was it a conversion?
Ever see a parts list anywhere for doing a conversion? That would be verra intersting indeed.

However, isn't a B5 equipped with a generally less roomy interior, smaller fuel tank, and heavier curb weight than a B4, making it kind of a bad idea relative to converting a B4 GLX?

And . . . didn't VW pass on the idea primarily because the US consumer would consider it "underpowered" . . . ? Kind of guarantees a a chip, larger injectors, turbo upgrade, etc. . . . ?

vidpoboy

TDI
2002 black Golf GLS
Well it looks like I might be coming to the GTG on Saturday.
Nick has indicated that he could do my timing belt change at the GTG. I'm just waiting for confirmation that he actually wants to do it on Sat. ;~)
I'm really excited to meet with other owners. I've had my golf for 5 years and loved the experience, best car I've ever owned. I'd love to get the groups advise on what I should do to my still stock car to improve it. I've gone back through the thread and am planning to bring food and drink. What else should I bring. I'd like to check my intake manifold to see if it needs to be cleaned and do that if it does. What would you all suggest I bring for that nasty task? or should I leave that for another day. The timing belt is all I'm worried about at the moment.
Looking forward to meeting you all.

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
She's a little dirty inside but it runs great :D

Does anyone have a carfax account by chance? VIN WVWMG63B9WE225140

Jon
This looks to give you a bit more info about what's actually stock (e.g. 4button remote keyless entry, hehe).

Farmboy, with regard to the "underpowered" nature, I suppose you should think of it this way: sacrifices must be made for 40-50mpg. With a little TLC (engine mounts and fluid flushes--mmm green coolant and gritty oil), that will be a good (and with a new coat of paint and a bit of body work, top-notch) commuter.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My Georgia Peach is as always coming with me and we are bringing 12 brats to grill, chips, condiments, plates, maybe cole slow/potato salad, and of course Flying Dog Ale.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
I really hate to say this as I was really looking forward to it, but I don't think I will be making the GTG. Car still needs to be finished, I have an oak tree on the roof of my shop, and my soon to be ex is trying to turn my life upside down again so I have all sorts of stuff to deal with there.

If I happen to be out and about on that side of town during the day, I may try to swing by quick.

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k
Yeah, SIRPF, true enough . . . for example, it certainly can't be as underpopwered as the rabbit diesels were . . . and there may be a lot more B5s to convert than B4s . . . ? . . . I know I'm starting to wonder how long I really want to play with my B4, since it's already 14-15 years old . . . I would *LOVE* to see a B5 gasser to TDI conversion BOM/guide posted, unless one already exists somewhere . . . ? . . .

Anyway, ditto on Congrats to JFetting, I hope to see the car soon myself, and congratulate you in person, since it is such a very cool rarity on this continent . . .