Settlement Question???

twildman

Texas, where men are men and the sheep are scared!
TDI
2011 Golf
Don't think you can get a buy back or MOD money if the affected car is "TUNED."

But one can sell it to anyone ~~ who wishes to own it.

One thing I believe. ~~ gov WANTS 'em off the road or crushed
Our gov could care less what happens to them cars, the only thing they are interested in getting is those billions in fines they are fixing to collect.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Yes, and let's not forget that the goal as stated by the court for this settlement is to get the affected vehicles off the road. bunches of cars being disqualified for buyback because they're modifed is doing exactly the opposite. So: there's nothing either in the language (as stated in the quote above) or in the motivations of the court, the regulatory agencies, or VW to do anything whatever about this. Case closed.
I agree. As a matter of fact, VW and the Government are probably happy that the tuned cars are being taken off the road, without additional compensation. It is effectively a punishment for those with tuned cars, especially since you can't "keep" the tune for your next car.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
There is no way VW will fix the cars and sell them to new owners without the complete emissions system installed. New owners of the fixed cars will not have a reason to be upset.
VW might not be happy about needing to add missing parts, but I wonder how many of those parts will be reused anyway.

On top of that, if the fix was going to be that good, that they would be able to make money buying the car back, adding and replacing whatever parts are included in the fix, refurbishing the car, and THEN selling it for profit, I doubt we would have the option to sell the car back.

I don't know if there is any way VW can sell the cars in another country (some people have said the court papers forbid it), but maybe there is some kind of value in that form.

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
Yes, and let's not forget that the goal as stated by the court for this settlement is to get the affected vehicles off the road. bunches of cars being disqualified for buyback because they're modifed is doing exactly the opposite. So: there's nothing either in the language (as stated in the quote above) or in the motivations of the court, the regulatory agencies, or VW to do anything whatever about this. Case closed.
Would be counterproductive to refuse a buyback on the grounds that the car was modified. Remember that if there's no approved fix, buyback and "keep your car, no money for you" are the ONLY options VW can offer. Since most mods involve increasing the emissions to gain elsewhere, buying back and crushing a modified car has a bigger environmental gain than doing it to an unmodified car. Also, each car below 85% that VW doesn't either buy back or fix will cost VW big bucks.

For cars where a fix is available, I can see some cheating. While VW would legitimately refuse a fix if a component is missing (i.e. costs more to do the fix than on a stock car), if the fix involves replacing a component such as the DPF or catalyst with an improved model, someone with a stock car and a good component might sell it on an exchange basis to someone who wants to keep their car unmodified, then the bad component is replaced as part of the fix.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I don't think that VW is going to wreck thousands of cars. Some of them will get the emissions "fix" and be resold for some price. These new owners might be very unhappy when they discover emissions equipment had been removed by the previous owner and VW never replaced it.
There is no way this will happen. VW will not sell vehicles with incomplete/inoperative emission control systems.

My own prediction is that since the number of bought-back cars is certain to overwhelm the market, and IF there is an approved "fix", the condition of the vehicle including the emission control parts that aren't involved in the "fix" will be part of the decision that gets made for each car whether it goes in the "fix and sell" line-up or in the "shred" pile.

Anything old (low resale value) - Shred.
Anything high mileage (low resale value) - Shred.
Anything that has a beat up body or interior - Shred.
Anything missing intake/exhaust components that aren't involved in being replaced as part of the "fix" - Shred.
Anything with an unpopular colour or options package - Shred.
Anything that comes in with the check-engine lamp on - Probably shred. Maaaybe someone will hook up a scanner and see if it's a cheap problem to fix.