Bora TDi 4Motion build thread

Bruno S.

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2000 Jetta TDI 4motion
Hey everyone, I've been a member of TDICLUB for awhile and today i thought of introducing myself and start a build thread for my Jetta.

TDi love started for me when a customer lent me his '04 Jetta Sport for a week. Since I've always driven boosted Civics before this, you could imagine how much gas I would go through on my daily driver. Driving this Jetta for a week on the same tank of fuel sold me! Immediately I started looking for a Jetta TDi for myself. About a month later I purchased a 2002 Jetta TDi with about 240,000 kms. Great car. I did small mods to this car before selling the wife's Pontiac Wave and giving her this Jetta. I bought a 2000 Jetta TDi off a customer since he really didnt want to continue his TDi build. The motor blew shortly after. Then this is where it really shifted into overdrive. My 2000 Jetta was back in the shop with a blown motor :(

As it sat there for a couple weeks I noticed some rust popping out in spots and it really bothered me. Off to the body shop. At the same time, we got an R32 at the shop for parts. We used the motor and drivetrain for a mk3 swap we were doing. Obviously looking at this empty shell I wasn't going to just let the floor and rear components go to waste at some junk yard. Immediately I started my 4motion swap and build.

Here are some pictures of the car and the build. Feel free to post your comments and ideas about the project.

This the car when I bought it:

Getting ready for Winter:

R32 brakes front and rear:

The motor as I got it when I bought it:

Then it happened:

This is the color I chose, Porsche GT3 orange

Painted the bay purple:

Striping for paint and floor swap starts:

Paint being laid

Last edited:

Bruno S.

TDI
Jams done

Doors and hatch ready for re-assembly

Backup sensor install (had to, totally not needed but I love my electronics)

Cut out the R32 floor pan from the donor car:

Last edited:

AUGSX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd
I can't wait to see how this turns out. This car would have made VW some serious $$$$ in the US.

Bruno S.

TDI
Floor all prepped

Floor completely removed, properly at the spot welds

Floor pan installed and ready for welding and seam sealing

Camber :)

Finished!

Rims ready for paint, GT3 replicas. Painting them black to match the GT3 look.

Ready, painted Z4Z4 Black Magic Pearl from the mk5 GTi

Since I had all the parts from the R32...decided on the R dash and the climatronic swap and a TDi Sport cluster, yes IMMO3 cluster in a IMMO2 car :)

Last edited:

Bruno S.

TDI

Got the car back from the body shop

Ksport Pro Coilovers for R32 are in

Time for re-assembly

Another shot with handles on, its coming together

Rear bumper in, more assembly

MK5 style mirrors for MK4 (still unsure about these)

Climatronic fully functional :)

Decided to add a Passive keyless entry, smartcard, alarm with push button start, love the electronics

That's it for now but I'll post more updates as I get some more work done on the car. The shop is really busy lately so I've been only putting in an hour or so here and there.

Last edited:

bryanviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Look who's here... Very nice build bruno & good choice on the color.

We just picked up a new 2011 Jetta TDI for the family as well, seems like everybody has a TDI now, Me, Frank, Serge Mario had one at one point also.

Going to send you a PM want to ask you something.

Be sure to post up more pictures!

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Fantastic!!!

How did you extend the .:R frame rails and floor to fit up against the sedan rear cross panel? Pics of it?

Looking forward to more pics!!
-Chris

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
lol keep the MK4 mirrors. Car looks awesome btw. The Porsche orange kind of looks like the fahrenheit orange.

KanPanic

TDI
03 Golf
Will you be running a stand alone Haldex controler or will you run it off the stock ECU? Please let us know how you end up wiring it up. Great build btw.

Bruno S.

TDI
What I did was box in the two frame rails, and then used sheet metal to creat the missing floor, a bit unoriginal but its the only way, getting a jetta 4motion floor just isn't an option.

Will you be running a stand alone Haldex controler or will you run it off the stock ECU? Please let us know how you end up wiring it up. Great build btw.
I'm going to use a standalone haldex contoller. Easiest way to make this work since I have a 2000 alh computer and I don't believe it will control haldex.

So they are BFI mirrors? If they are, are they heated?
Yes they are heated, powered, blue glass with built-in convex

KanPanic

TDI
03 Golf
I'm going to use a standalone haldex contoller. Easiest way to make this work since I have a 2000 alh computer and I don't believe it will control haldex.
I heard people say the alh computer won't do 4motion but this guys seems to have it working. I havn't seen anyone post up a detailed explanation.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=306828

Would love to see a good how to...

Bruno S.

TDI
Im going to look in to wiring the haldex to the stock ecu a little bit more, if it can be done i'd rather do that and save some money right now.

Here is a little update. Haven't had too much time to work on it, shops been so busy lately.

Ksports for R32 are in

Here is a sneak peak at what it will look like ;)

Just had to hahaha

OntarioVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta highline
wowwwwwww... im not even sure what to say! I wish i could so a build like that! love the colour choice to.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
FYI... it is illegal to use a car seat in Canada that is not CMVSS certified (and Recaro's, regrettably, are not certified).

And yeah... great build. How about a thin orange pin stripe on the wheels?

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
FYI... it is illegal to use a car seat in Canada that is not CMVSS certified (and Recaro's, regrettably, are not certified).
I wanted to say this too, but held off. My guess is that the OP already knows this ;). And it is not illegal to OWN a non-certified car seat in Canada, just illegal to USE it :rolleyes: :(

Mehrl38

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 TDI, 2003 BORA TDI & 2003 Jetta TDI
all i have said throughout this whole thread is "wow" "oh my god" "i want that". BEAUTIFUL BUILD! im happy to know that my BORA has such potential lol just need the $$ to do it. Great Job man.

TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI
you sir should be banned from the internet,,, ive been planning so many things for my jetta and now i lost all willingness to do anything... y bother itll never be as cool as yours lol... all kiding aside awsome build,, love the electronics,,,and great taste glad to see you didnt spend all this time/$ and put some crazy body kit or something tacky,,,