Anybody consider the VW GTI to replace you TDI hatch??

AL_X1

TDI
2011 A3 TDI
I've been doing my homework on what car I should replace my A3 with. Nothing I seen interest me when comparing interior, handling, quality ect...

The only car that comes close is the 15/16 GTI (not trying to buy new). But I'm not too sure of going with a VW product. The 210hp/260tq sounds really interesting though. And handling should match my A3's...

Anybody have experience with this car?

DUBPL8

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 CW Golf TDi, '92 Honda Civic VX (wrecked), '96 Honda Civic CX hatchback (non-TDI)
Yeah....like 3-4 years ago.

Now? Won't catch me dead in one.

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
My wife bought a 2015 GTI Autobahn when they were first released. Great car, and we both enjoy it. If I had the choice between a 2015 and a 2016, I hear the entertainment system was updated to a better one in 2016. I haven't had the chance to actually play with one, so I can't speak to the truthfulness of that claim.

AL_X1

TDI
2011 A3 TDI
My wife bought a 2015 GTI Autobahn when they were first released. Great car, and we both enjoy it. If I had the choice between a 2015 and a 2016, I hear the entertainment system was updated to a better one in 2016. I haven't had the chance to actually play with one, so I can't speak to the truthfulness of that claim.
That's what I've heard too. How do you feel the reliability of the car is? I'm looking at a 16 GTI Autobahn that I'm going to try to test drive soon.

drshaws

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT
We bought a MY16 GTI SE 6MT with Performance Package, Lighting Package, and DCC. JSW TDI parked.

I really wanted a MY16 because to get DCC in MY17, you HAVE to buy an Autobahn. I can pass on power seats and factory nav.

Having CarPlay available made skipping factory nav a lot easier to boot.

So far, 2K miles and and we love it. Yes, we do at times need think about cargo space having come from a JSW, but we have a minivan to swallow cargo as needed at this point.

We live in semi-rural northern MA 'burbs. I appreciate the lighting package all the time now.

Can't speak to reliability or other TCO aspects yet.

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
That's what I've heard too. How do you feel the reliability of the car is? I'm looking at a 16 GTI Autobahn that I'm going to try to test drive soon.

We've only put about 15,000 miles on it, but we've not had any issues yet. I know there was an issue with the HPFP actuator shearing off the cam in some of the 2015/2016 1.8T/2.0T equipped cars, 91,800 cars total. She hasn't gotten anything in the mail about it yet, so her car may not be one of the affected.

In all, I'm sure you'll enjoy the car, I'd personally go for one trim below the Autobahn as the Nav is slow and always warning us of cars travelling in the wrong direction, and I mean it's a daily occurrence, some times multiple times. I know I live in California but I find it hard to believe its happening that often lol

AL_X1

TDI
2011 A3 TDI
We bought a MY16 GTI SE 6MT with Performance Package, Lighting Package, and DCC. JSW TDI parked.
I really wanted a MY16 because to get DCC in MY17, you HAVE to buy an Autobahn. I can pass on power seats and factory nav.
Having CarPlay available made skipping factory nav a lot easier to boot.
So far, 2K miles and and we love it. Yes, we do at times need think about cargo space having come from a JSW, but we have a minivan to swallow cargo as needed at this point.
We live in semi-rural northern MA 'burbs. I appreciate the lighting package all the time now.
Can't speak to reliability or other TCO aspects yet.
That's kinda what I want but having finding the PP & Light package without the Autobahn. I going to the dealer later to see if they want to make me a deal...

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
Thanks for the heads up on the Autobaun not being worth the extra ca$h. I would love to get the S trim with a sunroof and lights only, but I guess you have to get the SE and leather seats. Oh well.

There are a bunch of 2016 SEs near me, many marked 5-6K off MSRP.

blondeshady2001

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 BGM DSG TDI 4DR
Looking at getting into a GTI sport with the DSG. However, I can't say that the R hasn't crossed my mind... but i'm not here to hijack.

radereb

TDI
Jetta
Is it true that a GTI only uses premium fuel? I have heard that you can put 87 octane in a GTI but it will hurt performance. If that is true, would that hurt anything mechanically in the car?

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
Is it true that a GTI only uses premium fuel? I have heard that you can put 87 octane in a GTI but it will hurt performance. If that is true, would that hurt anything mechanically in the car?
I can tell you the 1.8 TSI takes 87 fine.

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver, 2011 JSW Manual - Bought Back. Now 328d Wagon.
I drove some gti's while I was deliberating, but for the price of an Autobahn GTI, I got a CPO BMW 328d wagon. More room, awd for the lack of plowing around here, only thing missing is a manual transmission. For the right price, I was tempted for sure, I really like vw's implementation of car play, but I drive a lot, and an awd wagon that gets in the 40's easily, without cheating was the deciding factor. Got the lights and sunroof too.

Michael A

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Touareg TDI Executive
Looking at a MK7 GTI/Golf R or S3 myself. Not entirely sure which way I will go

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I purchased a 16' GTI, Autobahn, 6MT, DCC, Lighting package, Performance package last July to replace my parked '15 Golf TDI. We like the car so much, planning on another to replace our other Golf TDI.

Like others have stated infotainment system in MY 16 cars is vastly improved and CarPlay capable. Torque comes on low and the car pulls where the TDI falls off obviously. I see mid 30s with regards to fuel economy on my way to work, 50 miles one way. The manual tranny has some long gears though and I need to get fuel half way through the week. You can run regular in the car, power figures were generated with premium fuel. I run the car hard with premium fuel in hopes to avoid any carbon buildup issues.

Space is not much of a concern for me though as we have a truck for weekend duty.

nattyboh2027

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I was considering a GTI as a replacement, I did research and GTI's start to have reliability issues after 60,000 miles, even with babying scheduled maintenance! No GTI for me....Subaru WRX in the works for me :)

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I don't think many Mk7 GTI vehicles are near 60,000 miles yet, scheduled maintenance is similar to TDI. 10k oil changes mostly.

engineered2win

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf TDI
I test drove a Mk7 GTI last year, around the time Dieselgate started, and it was really nice. The engine wasn't quite as torquey as the TDI, but it has 200 ft-lbs available at 1500rpm. Fuel economy is better than the Focus ST. Everything seemed to be an improvement over the Mk6 platform.

My only hesitation at the time was it still wore a VW badge; and my TDI has been frankly a piece of junk having had basically every failure short of the HPFP. Now over 1 year after this whole crap show started, and I still can't get a respectable offer for my TDI, there is no way in hell I'm buying another VW. The Mk7 seems to have the same amount of issues as the Mk6, so they really haven't learned anything.

Highly considering a Focus ST w/ 401A or 402A package OR WRX Premium.

nattyboh2027

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I test drove a Mk7 GTI last year, around the time Dieselgate started, and it was really nice. The engine wasn't quite as torquey as the TDI, but it has 200 ft-lbs available at 1500rpm. Fuel economy is better than the Focus ST. Everything seemed to be an improvement over the Mk6 platform.

My only hesitation at the time was it still wore a VW badge; and my TDI has been frankly a piece of junk having had basically every failure short of the HPFP. Now over 1 year after this whole crap show started, and I still can't get a respectable offer for my TDI, there is no way in hell I'm buying another VW. The Mk7 seems to have the same amount of issues as the Mk6, so they really haven't learned anything.

I test drove a WRX Premium a couple months ago....feel in love right then and there haha. Go test drive one, you won't be disappointed!

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI

Think your numbers are a bit off.

The MKVII GTI gets 258 lb ft @ 1500 and the CR 2.0 TDI gets 236 @1750.

And the GTI's 210/220 HP vs. 170 will blow a TDI away off the line.

Last edited:

GnJ

TDI
15 Golf, 12 JSW
Got a 16 GTI Autobahn with end of year discounts to replace 15 Golf TDI SEL. Both manuals. Like the GTI more everyday. Mileage is great even without trying. Fun to drive for sure. VW I forgive you. I no longer had a long commute so leaving TDI behind made sense and will only cost me $1,500 once buy back is complete.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
I have had a 2011 mk6, 2015 mk7, and a 16 mk7. As mentioned before the 16 has a better infotainment system. Also bugs worked out from the early release 15's. My 15 was a suspension nightmare. The 16 was a dream and only sold to buy 2 tdi's to flip back to VW.

The 16 had a APR stage 1+ tune, done by my VW dealer and transformed it into a 316hp rocket, and at the same time increased my avg mpg. I am torn between buying an economy Golf Wolfsburg for 19k and doing a APR to 225hp and reg gas or going 17GTI SE for 27k and going full 316hp and premium. It is a daily driver and I drive 60 miles a day, so most likely the Golf for much less will win out.

I would just stay away from 15's, but highly recommend the GTI.

soccerpeople

TDI
2010 TDI Manual
I like the idea of the GTI. But my head tells me its a VW, meaning more frequent and expensive repairs then other car brands. I just won't put myself through that again.

AL_X1

TDI
2011 A3 TDI
So I test drive a used 16 GTI Autobahn with 13k miles. And I really like it. I really feels like an improvement over my 11 A3. The interior feels more modern & more upscale. You can feel the power difference right away. The fact that it's a certified car gives you an extra 2 years 24k miles of warranty which means you get a better warranty than buying a new one. They are asking $27,888 for it (which is the cheapest 16 Autobahn I've found) gonna go back & see if the want to give a better deal.

VOS

TDI
13 Jetta
Called the local VW dealer to preorder a GTI, and they wanted a $5,000 deposit. They knew that I had a TDI involved in the buyback, and that they were chosen as the dealership for the buyback. I ended up buying a Crosstrek with Eyesight 2 weeks ago.

nattyboh2027

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Called the local VW dealer to preorder a GTI, and they wanted a $5,000 deposit. They knew that I had a TDI involved in the buyback, and that they were chosen as the dealership for the buyback. I ended up buying a Crosstrek with Eyesight 2 weeks ago.
:) You rock! That's what I like to hear! I test drove the Crosstrek and I liked it was a top all-around practical vehicle......but then love hit me when I test drove the WRX! haha I have superstitions that if I buy another VW, especially a gasoline VW, its going to have to go through a lot of repairs. Did the research on Subaru and one of the best out. Team Subaru!....well whenever I get the backback.

Got Haggis?

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf DSG
interesting...i test drove a crosstrek last weekend after reading here that some people were considering it....i hated it. interior felt very cheap and the drive wasn't great