Votes: 18 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Has anyone done one of these on a Mk6? I'm not ready to do this now, but the thought has crossed my mind (along with a CP3 upgrade). Not only is changing DSG fluid every 40K annoying, but I prefer a manual anyways for other reasons.

I also understand clutch packs are ungodly expensive on the DSG.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
How foolish a thought, if there is nothing wrong with your transmission. Fluid changes are not a big deal either. You read too much and think too little. Turn the car in during he buyback and buy a manual you will be money ahead.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
A little hard to turn it in, since I already opted out of the settlement, and it's pretty well modified. I love everything about that car except the transmission.

Oh, and I already bought a manual recently (the 2004 Golf).

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
A little hard to turn it in, since I already opted out of the settlement, and it's pretty well modified. I love everything about that car except the transmission.

Oh, and I already bought a manual recently (the 2004 Golf).
What is wrong with the transmission that would make you want to spend thousands of dollars to change it? It is not like changing your sofa because you don't like the way it looks, get real man! Maybe you need a few more goats, they would probably be a better investment.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I've never driven a DSG /dual clutch, so I can't really vote- but I'm definitely a three pedal guy. The best way to do a swap is with a donor car to supply the transaxle, pedal assembly, flywheel, etc. Not sure if the instrument cluster and ecu would be needed. The good news is there should be a healthy supply of those parts hitting the market fairly soon. :)

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
What is wrong with the transmission that would make you want to spend thousands of dollars to change it? It is not like changing your sofa because you don't like the way it looks, get real man! Maybe you need a few more goats, they would probably be a better investment.
I bet you have the same sentiments for those of us who want to or have changed to the CP3 fuel pump (planning it around my next TB change).

I've never driven a DSG /dual clutch, so I can't really vote- but I'm definitely a three pedal guy. The best way to do a swap is with a donor car to supply the transaxle, pedal assembly, flywheel, etc. Not sure if the instrument cluster and ecu would be needed. The good news is there should be a healthy supply of those parts hitting the market fairly soon. :)
This has been done before on the Mk4. In fact, my tuner is one of the pioneers of this swap. But he, like others, have no idea how feasible it is on the Mk6, although in theory, it could be done. Hence the reason for this thread.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It's definitely feasible. Just a matter of getting all the necessary parts and an ecu swap or reflash.

stoner-tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta sportwagen
Get the transmission.. clutch flywheel and pedal assembly...

Pull auto trans and install manual..

Put the shift selector in neutral and go ..... Lol jk

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
just get a good dsg tune and you won't want to swap it any more.

"But I have a DSG tune already" you say

Talk to PhunkFx here on the forums. He was in the same boat as you.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
just get a good dsg tune and you won't want to swap it any more.

"But I have a DSG tune already" you say

Talk to PhunkFx here on the forums. He was in the same boat as you.
The tune works great, although I only have two complaints, although one is more or less, my fault. I've accidentally downshifted by accident, and I'm guessing the transmission goes into protection mode, where it disengages from the engine (to protect from going past redline). The other complaint is that sometimes, when I'm supposed to start in first, it starts in second, and after about 3 seconds, I'm in first and the engine lurches up in RPM. If I catch it and upshift to second, it doesn't shift (because it's already in second), thus, a seamless transition.

The only plus for the DSG for me is when I'm on mountainous roads and need to upshift or downshift quickly.

This!

The DSG is much more responsive with the Kerma DSG tune... It keeps the engine right where it's most efficient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWImwRswDM
Only problem for me is that I've already spent money on the Malone tune. At the moment, I'm not really budgeting anything for this car, except for a CP3 around the time of my next timing belt (but I'd still love a DSG to 6MT swap someday nonetheless).

CT_Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Jetta Sport, 2011 Golf TDI 6MT 2 door - GONE, 2013 Passat DSG SE w/sunroof - GONE
I voted "no" in the poll, but it really is more of a love-hate relationship. Love the way it shifts, hate the expense of the service and the initial clutch engagement from stop. I also had issues with the hill holder feature which accentuated the clutch engagement issue, but I was able to turn the hill holder function off completely.

ttcheung

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen 6MT
I'd say "nay" on this one. I had done an auto-to-manual swap on an old Accord wagon. It was extremely doable because of a couple things:
1) i had a whole donor car with me
2) it was OBD1
3) a lot of the drill points for manual transmission mounting were visible
4) minimal electronics modification
5) relative cheap ($600 for donor car, $200 for new axle, clutch line, fluids, relays)
6) there was a nice step-by-step write-up.

I had a 2005 Legacy GT wagon 5mt that I wanted to drop a 6MT from an STi into. The transmission itself would've been $4000; add axles, diff, LSD controller, it was going to be expensive. In end I made myself content with what i had.

I just saw, on Craigslist, a guy selling his E39 wagon that was converted to manual; he sure mentioned how pricey it was to do the conversion. I'd assume the same for the VW.

I guess I'm biased because this is my first European car, and I've got my guard up in terms of maintenance and upkeep costs.

Last edited:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Only problem for me is that I've already spent money on the Malone tune. At the moment, I'm not really budgeting anything for this car, except for a CP3 around the time of my next timing belt (but I'd still love a DSG to 6MT swap someday nonetheless).
Malone ECU tune or DSG tune?

Still, the price of a DSG to Manual swap will pay for at least 10 DSG services. The easiest way to get a manual swap done is a donor car. If you're going to do it do it that. All the parts needed will be right there.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Malone ECU tune or DSG tune?
Both!
Still, the price of a DSG to Manual swap will pay for at least 10 DSG services. The easiest way to get a manual swap done is a donor car. If you're going to do it do it that. All the parts needed will be right there.
I've actually thought about doing that, provided I get my hands on a donor car that happened to be totaled or something. Although with what I've spent on my trailer, the Golf, and associated upgrades, this project probably wouldn't even come to fruition for at least a year, unless I get a killer deal on a salvage CR TDI.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I guess I'm biased because this is my first European car, and I've got my guard up in terms of maintenance and upkeep costs.
Makes sense. I think I kinda knew what I was getting myself into with maintenance and upkeep costs, although I had no idea about how bad the DPF reliability is and frequent DSG fluid changes (frequent for me, because I was doing 35-40K a year on the JSW before I got the Saab and Golf).

Personally, I don't mind the extra maintenance - I have fun working on my vehicles.