Help with a tough decision

tdidelemma

TDI
None yet
I see the benefits of owning a TDI, so I'm currently in the market. I began by looking at the 2012 Jetta, but after reading about the downgrades in quality of the interior and inclusion of the torsion bar rear suspension, I've started looking at used 2010 Jettas. Unfortunately, I've read some threads about hesitation and stalling in the 2009-2010 TDIs. Since most people on this forum have much more experience with TDIs than I, would you shy away from a 2010 due to the hesitation/stalling issues? I guess that assumes those issues have been resolved in the 2012s, which is an assumption on my part. Also, to make matters more difficult, I've also considered the Golf 4-door TDI. I like the performance orientation, but am concerned about the lack of trunk space. In your opinion, how does it compare to the two Jettas being considered? Thanks in advance for your help.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I'd spend for the Golf if I wanted the diesel engine. Otherwise, I'd just buy the Jetta S sedan with the base 2.0L gas engine and save the $6000 for a rainy day.

I've owned both Golfs and Jettas, and the Golf is hands-down a better all-around vehicle. Its hatch is much more versatile, and you can get so much more stuff in it due to the MUCH larger opening.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
I'd spend for the Golf if I wanted the diesel engine. Otherwise, I'd just buy the Jetta S sedan with the base 2.0L gas engine and save the $6000 for a rainy day.

I've owned both Golfs and Jettas, and the Golf is hands-down a better all-around vehicle. Its hatch is much more versatile, and you can get so much more stuff in it due to the MUCH larger opening.[/QUOTE]

I think this comes down to a matter of personal opinion. You can store more in the golf with the seats down. But if you want to take 4 people you will have much more space in the trunk of the jetta than you would in the small area behind the seat in the golf.

OP, the down grades in the TDI do exsist compared to the earlier models. But the TDI is still a nice car, the only two features I wish it had were projector headlights and auto headlights. But even those arent the end of the world. As far as the suspension goes the TDI still has a great ride. Yes I havent tried to do auto cross, but neither do I plan on it. Over all its a great car. You could save your 6k like oilhammer said and get the 2.slow. But that you might hate. The TDI is alot peppier and has alot more features than the 2.0. In the longevity and milage it worth the upgrade....

my $ :D.02

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
I agree with above, having both a 2010 Jetta and Golf. When you fold the rear seats down you can get much larger boxes in a Golf than you could in the trunk of the Jetta. The Jetta has a nice, large trunk, but the hatch gives you height. Hatches are easier to load, too. In terms of the ride, the Jetta is a little smoother and the Golf suspension feels a little sportier. Both are very stable at highway speeds. In terms of features in the Jetta, I feel like the 2010 hit the sweet spot for the CRs. I have 6M trannys in both and no hesitation issues, no stalling issues (once I got used to how they respond). The 2012 Golf is not decontented, so it should be considered. My understanding is that future Jetta models will not be decontented. It's a competitive market out there, so that makes sense. Don't stress about the decision, do what makes sense for your needs.

oilhammer

TDI
Response to pdt165: So, you can store luggage out of the weather ON TOP OF the Jetta's trunk lid? Get your ruler out, once the parcel tray is out (which easily comes out in about 3 seconds) the Golf's cargo area is LARGER than the Jetta. It is even stated so in the manufacturer's literature. Also, rear headroom for those rear seat passengers is also better. Again, clearly listed in the literature.

The A4 Golf and Jetta differ on only 3 dimensions: cargo volume, rear head room, and overall length. The Golf gives a greater number on 2 of the 3.

So if you need to carry something LONG and slender, the Jetta's couple extra inches of length may help you, but if you are loading suitcases, the Golf WILL hold more. You just have to stack it up over the rear seat back, near the rear glass. You can even shove an entire recliner chair in the back of a Golf (they even had a commercial.... the 'stinky chair' Golf commercial... look it up on youtube!). :)

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Is the stalling issue the OP is referring to the iced intercooler issue? If so, both the 2010 and 2012 models have the same issue. He/she is in Louisiana though so I don't think it would be much of a problem anyways.

I love my 2010 Jetta TDI and would highly recommend it to anyone interested in buying one. Personally, I don't like the looks of the MKVI (2011+) models and the downgraded interior kills it for me. But... to each his own.

If you do go with the 2010 I would make sure you have detailed service records from the original owner.

nois

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL
I don't notice a difference in handling between the Mk6 and the Mk4/Mk3. I skipped the Mk5 because I don't care for the body style. The interior of the Mk6 isn't bad, it looks great to me but I'm not hard to please... the only thing I would change about my Mk6 is to have a full MFD and a temp. gauge but the half MFD is still comparably functional. If you go with the Jetta, I recommend the premium pkg.

Also consider this thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=348138

JettaTDiPA

Veteran Member
TDI
Owned 2011 JSW DSG for 16mo.
If I had it to do over again, I would have a Golf TDI. Not dissatisfied with my wagon, but I like the Golf better (now). Not sure what hesitation you are referring to- my 2011 doesn't hesitate- or none I have heard about. Personally, I would not be any more concerned about 2012, than I would any other CR of any other year.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Not sure what the parcel tray is in the rear cargo area of the Golf - but the rear cargo room of the Golf and Jetta are nearly identical - one is vertical (Golf) and the other is horizontal (Jetta).

If you are considering the Golf why not consider the Jetta SportWagen too? Definitely a nicer interior and more solid feeling than the Jetta sedan if that is important to you - I have owned both. Also - way more cargo room in back then either the Golf or Jetta sedan.

It is the same wheelbase as the Golf but the rear overhang is greater - and is a few inches shorter than the '11/'12 Jetta sedan.

I always thought the Jetta sedan's rear suspension was fine - and I still think it is fine. I could zip around offramps and on ramps on not feel like I was going to lose it. The Jetta Sportwagen feels a little less "wallowy" but that could be due the 3 inch shorter wheelbase.

Scenic Driver

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
You can even shove an entire recliner chair in the back of a Golf (they even had a commercial.... the 'stinky chair' Golf commercial... look it up on youtube!). :)
It's not a recliner but here's 4 17" Wheels/tires + 4 17" tires in the back of my Golf with room to spare, can't do that with a Jetta.

Last edited:

tdidelemma

TDI
None yet
Thanks to everyone for all the good responses. Most have been very helpful. It is a tough decision because it really does come down to preferences and I make decisions better when they're fact based.

Grievous Angel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (traded after Diesel-Gate)
Too much is made of the quality differences in the new jetta vs the prior one and the Golf and JSW.

Sit in all of them and find out yourself if difference is appreciable enough.

As to Golf v Jetta--that comes down to personal preference. Do you want a sedan or a hatch? I like them both, but prefer the jetta.

As to a 2010 Jetta vs a 2012--I'd rather have the "cheap" (ahem) interior with the current styling, and a car 4 years into HPFP revisions. As to matters of taste, I find the prior jetta to be weakest of all in terms of styling--a little corolla-esque if you ask me. Not saying the current is the pinnacle of styling, but I would even prefer the MK4 to the Mk5.

Dimon80

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
It's your decision, but personally I like my new 2012. It is roomier than 2010 model (which I owned) and I am not talking about the leg room for the rear seats. More room for the driver/passenger = more comfort. I don't find any issues with the quality of the interior materials and definitely don't have any issues with the performance. I drive 80-100 miles per day and if I take the ramp to the highway at 38 mph rather than 40, I would not loose much time and still be up to a highway speed by the time I merge.
I'd rather spend few more $K on the brand new vehicle rather than buying used. Once again, it's my preference. The cars keep their value very well (this is my third TDI in 4 years), so you would not be getting such a great deal on a slightly used TDI than you would on the brand new with 3 years/36000 miles warranty plan.

That's my nickel ;)

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
It's not a recliner but here's 4 17" Wheels/tires + 4 17" tires in the back of my Golf with room to spare, can't do that with a Jetta.

Actually my buddy just brought home 4 17s with rubber and 4 20 inch truck rims and rubber home in his mk4 jetta...seeing the mk6 jetta is much bigger its very do able....and he still had his front two seats open

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
Response to pdt165: So, you can store luggage out of the weather ON TOP OF the Jetta's trunk lid? Get your ruler out, once the parcel tray is out (which easily comes out in about 3 seconds) the Golf's cargo area is LARGER than the Jetta. It is even stated so in the manufacturer's literature. Also, rear headroom for those rear seat passengers is also better. Again, clearly listed in the literature.

The A4 Golf and Jetta differ on only 3 dimensions: cargo volume, rear head room, and overall length. The Golf gives a greater number on 2 of the 3.

So if you need to carry something LONG and slender, the Jetta's couple extra inches of length may help you, but if you are loading suitcases, the Golf WILL hold more. You just have to stack it up over the rear seat back, near the rear glass. You can even shove an entire recliner chair in the back of a Golf (they even had a commercial.... the 'stinky chair' Golf commercial... look it up on youtube!). :)
Per VW.com the cargo volume of the 2012 JETTA TDI is 15.5 cubic feet. GOLF TDI is 15.0 cubic feet.

oilhammer

TDI
Per VW.com the cargo volume of the 2012 JETTA TDI is 15.5 cubic feet. GOLF TDI is 15.0 cubic feet.
Sorry, I was speaking of the previous models, where both the Golf and Jetta ride on the same platform. The new (current) Jetta sedan is a greatly modified platform that shares very little with the current Golf and Golf/Jetta wagon.

Still, that extra .5 cubic feet won't help if the opening simply isn't large enough to swallow the cargo you wish to transport, which is why the hatchback is such a versatile design.

MaddogTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, United Grey, 6M
The Golf's hatch is just amazingly versatile. Never a worry about how to carry large boxes home when we make trips to BJ's or Costco!

:)

STL TDI

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Manual
The MK6 interior quality hub-bub is likely only noticed by the most avid VW fan but to the vast majority of people will likely be a shoulder shrug. I agree with many MK6 buyers who believe that the quality, fit and finish of the MK6 is nicer than any of the comparable cars on the market. I love the look and feel of my MK6 and don't often drive around while feeling my dashboard. I respect the opinions of others but I do believe the rhetoric has drastically overemphasized what is mostly a non-issue.

Cesar

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW Jetta Highline TDI
I agree with organdonor... the 2012 passat TDI if it meets your budget

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
If you go to a retailer that sells hot water heaters on a sunday because yours has exploded, and they tell you that they have one in stock but it will be tuesday before it can be delivered, you will kick yourself for not having bought the hatchback that could transport it home.

That's why I have owned 2 sedans to 6 hatchbacks in my life.

That said the Jetta had some cool features -- the 60/40 split rear seat and fold-flat passenger seat ... but you still can't get a 40-gallon hot water heater in the back of it (or a 55-gallon oil barrel...and yes I actually DO haul those around in my bug more often that you'd imagine).

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
The MK6 interior quality hub-bub is likely only noticed by the most avid VW fan but to the vast majority of people will likely be a shoulder shrug. I agree with many MK6 buyers who believe that the quality, fit and finish of the MK6 is nicer than any of the comparable cars on the market. I love the look and feel of my MK6 and don't often drive around while feeling my dashboard. I respect the opinions of others but I do believe the rhetoric has drastically overemphasized what is mostly a non-issue.
I do agree with you on this - however having owned both I have a slightly different view.

I don't driving around touching my dash, but all the interior materials feel better on the JSW than the Jetta sedan. The console, door panels, rear seat (part closest to door) all feel and look more upscale (among other things). Our car had to go the dealer for some work so they gave us a 2.5 SE sedan, my wife casually knocked on the passenger side dash (passenger air bad area) and it sounded like a hollow plastic log. Again., not knocking constantly on my dash either but the soft touch suff doesn't have that same sound. The glove box is lined with a felt like material as are the front door cubby areas. Just doesn't feel as plasticky. I feel the doors close more solidly on the JSW than the sedan - the JSW has more of that "thunk" sound.

I will say that everything that I touched on a regular basis in my sedan felt nice - the JSW has this and so much more.

I definitely agree that most of the bashing on the MkVI sedan has been overemphasized - I guess that those that are doing the bashing feel VW has taken a (large) step backwards. As most know that decontenting has been going on since the 2006 Jetta. Maybe the general population of the US should be to blame or Detroit for getting the notion out there that there is no such thing as a very nice small car.

This is my second VW - I like their cars but don't consider myself a fan - however, as long as they keep offering the TDI I will probably keep driving them.

Sorry for the long winded and off-topic post - and just my thoughts.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
We can agree that the hatch and sedan both have there positives and negatives. In the end the OP needs to decide which they like best.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
third TDI in 4 years what the heck are you doing to them, I have 29 k on mine in 7 months and can not see getting rid of it for 3.5 more years why so many?

It's your decision, but personally I like my new 2012. It is roomier than 2010 model (which I owned) and I am not talking about the leg room for the rear seats. More room for the driver/passenger = more comfort. I don't find any issues with the quality of the interior materials and definitely don't have any issues with the performance. I drive 80-100 miles per day and if I take the ramp to the highway at 38 mph rather than 40, I would not loose much time and still be up to a highway speed by the time I merge.
I'd rather spend few more $K on the brand new vehicle rather than buying used. Once again, it's my preference. The cars keep their value very well (this is my third TDI in 4 years), so you would not be getting such a great deal on a slightly used TDI than you would on the brand new with 3 years/36000 miles warranty plan.

That's my nickel ;)

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
The current version of the Golf is a nicer car then the current version of the Jetta. By fall, the redesign of the Golf should be out. I am looking forward to seeing it. The problem with the Golf is that they are in more demand then the Jetta, which means: (1) a Golf runs about $4(k) more then the Jetta; and (2) there are and will be no incentives on the Golf (probably will be zero percent on the Jetta in September).

As a general rule on what you should buy, please consider that Golf's are usually reserved for the over-weight people; Stationwagons for those that miss the 1970s imitation wood paneling grocery getters their mom's drove; beetles for the weird chicks and Jettas for the few normal people left out there :p.

jpog

TDI
2012 Jetta, premium w/ Nav, 6-spd manual
I narrowed my choice down to a 2012 Golf TDI 4-door or a 2012 Jetta TDI Sedan. After about 20 iterations and exercising my dealer's patience, I chose the Jetta. As stated earlier, I liked the fact that I had plenty of luggage space with four people. Also, I liked the fact that it is locked and out of sight. After driving SUVs for a few years, I didn't realize how much I missed a conventional trunk.

As for the "decontenting" of the new Jetta, it was only apparent to me because I was prepped by the forums to look for it. After driving it a few thousand miles, I don't think of it unless... I read the forum again. :) It's really not a big deal.

My decision really came down to wanting a smaller, spry car. I looked at the Passat, but decided that I really didn't want the German Grand Marquis, footprint-wise. Very nice vehicle, no doubt. Just BIG. I then soul-searched and opted for a conventional trunk, and have no regrets. The car has been everything I need. For reference, I opted for the 6-speed manual, and premium trim level with Navigation.

Good luck!