TDI performance when pulling...tent-trailer...

Marios

Hey, any owner with a Jetta/Golf 90hp TDI pulling a tent-trailer or something similar?
I am very interested by the new Jetta wagon TDI and I feel confident that the performance will be perfect for my driving needs. On the other hand, I was wondering what the performance would be like if I wanted to pull a small tent-trailer with some luggage in the trunk? Would I be able to run at a reasonnable speed on the highway (120-130km/h = 75-80miles/h)? Any other comments or suggested reading? Thanks a lot, I really like this new Jetta so hopefully I will be satisfied.

Pressurized

TDI
Golf, 2000, Silver
I frequently pull a trailer. So far the weight of the trailer has not been much of an issue, but then I drive in predominately non-mountain areas. I have probably pulled up to 1400 lb with no problems on a 5X8 foot single axle trailer. However I do have wood sides that install on the trailer. Installed, the wood side boards dramatically affect engine load and fuel economy. I've learned when towing to slow down, I stay in the 60-65 mph range. Its safer, a lot less strain on the car, better mileage, and if you read the fine print in many US states the laws for towing trailers usually require speed limits in the same range as the big rigs.

Lightman

Veteran Member
I moved to florida recently, packed my car to the brim, trunk full, 120lb dog in back seat(the rear was sagging), and towed my jetski(total weight of jetski and trailer = 550lbs) averaging 70-80mph the whole way, and got between 42 and 46mpg the whole way. I was really impressed(I had just gotten the car).

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
My 2001 Jetta TDI owner's manual says that the maximum trailer weight is about 1450 lbs. The smallest (new) tent-trailer I have been able to find weighs just about that empty. I have towed a small utility trailer at about that weight without difficulty, but I did notice that it was limited on hill climbing ability by that much weight.

I think you need to pay close attention to the weight of whatever trailer you get, and I don't believe I'd go over 1450 lbs total. From what I found at the trailer place, that pretty much rules out all the tent-types that i could buy. If you can find one lighter, go for it. If not, I'd skip either the Jetta TDI wagon or the tent-trailer idea.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
Europeans (and some forum members) tow a lot more with their TDIs. I'd be concerned about braking capacity and oil temps when towing a heavy load though. Dieselgeek sells an uprated oil-to-water cooler for TDIs.

TDI Mike

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a 2002 TDI Jetta and I pull a 10 ft camper which is likely about 1800lbs fully loaded with our gear. It pulls the weight fairly easily but forget about going 120-130 kph, thats simply not not a safe towing speed and would be very hard on the vehicle. I can pull along the 401 at 100-110 kph depending on the wind which makes a fair bit of difference. I like to keep my steady psi boost level to about 5 and adjust my speed accordingly. As expected braking distance is also affected and I allow triple my normal stoppimg distance. I am chipped and average 42-43 mpg while towing.

ripcor

don't laugh if i'm wrong but I thought that it was 115 hp with turbo and I would'nt pull anything more that in said by the manufacturer without putting in a big automatic transmission cooler, but you could probobly pull about 200lb more with a standard.

[ August 26, 2002, 15:48: Message edited by: ripcor ]

gamaf

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 TDI GLS Bright Green
I recently got a tow hitch installed to tow a small aircraft on a trailer, total weight about 1200 lbs, and i hardly notice it, mind you, I havent gone above 100kph/62mph.
00 Jetta GLS TDI
Ottawa Canada

pogo

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf/02/5spd 230K Passat SE/12/DSG 50K
I've heard brakes, not engine, set the towing limits on the Jetta. I leave plenty of room in front of me and use the gearbox to slow down to spare the brakes.

Marios

Well I checked and there are some tent-trailers that are around 1100 to 1200 pounds so from the answers I see above it seems like there wouldn't be problems for a TDI pulling a tent-trailer.

My next question is about the rear suspension. For those of you that pull a trailer or put a lot of stuff in the back of a Jetta wagon, is the rear suspension able to handle some weight? Is it the same suspension as the regular Jetta? Thanks a lot, your info is appreciated.

stayalert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf black
How about beefier (more load capacity) springs/suspension for a golf? Where could I find something suitable? Also intereted in source(s) for hitches
Rob M Concord, MA

jtroyce

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI (sold)
Rob M:

Since you're in Concord, you could start by talking to the guys at Shine in Walpole about a beefier setup. I haven't brought any cars there myself, but they're often praised by people both here and on ramvw--especially for suspension setups.

www.srsvw.com

Waltj

Veteran Member
Rear Suspension. I pull a small boat (+/-1200 lbs) and while the TDI (auto) pulls it fine and the brakes stop it fine, rear end sagging is a serious problem. I can lift the tongue of my trailer and one day put it on a bathroom scale and have 150 lbs of tongue wt, but where the tongue is located aft of the rear bumper it really drags the back of the Golf down.

CloudNine

Veteran Member
Waltj,

Not knowing any more about it than what you stated, it sounds to me like the boat/trailer combo is set up with too much tongue weight.

I have a 1500 lb. boat/trailer combo and pull it with ease with no more than 50lb tongue weight. That makes it a lot easier to handle off of the car, as well. I have never had a handling problem.
In fact, it has always handled great, braking, turning and going down the road are just fine.

Most trailers are adjustable, if you haven't already looked into that.

That said, you must be some kind of weightlifter to pick up 150# tongue weight!

Regards,

Tom

Oo-v-oO

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta Expired... Now 2000 Golf & 2002 Golf
AFAIK, trailers are usually set up as a rule of thumb to carry 10% of the total weight on the tongue. A 1500# trailer should thus have 150# of tongue weight.

I'd like to pull a snowmobile trailer with my Jetta. J.C. Whitney lists a hitch for the A3 with a capacity of 2000#. Anyone tried one of these? I think regardless of what the manual says, the TDI would make an excellent tow rig for a small car. I also agree that the brakes are probably the limiting factor here. You would probably be able to get more weight rolling than you could safely stop in an emergency.

-Lee

Lightman

Veteran Member
my 300lb jetski and 180lb trailer certainly don't have much tongue weight, but with the trunk LOADED and my dog in the back seat, my rear end was sagging a TON. The rear suspension seems pretty weak.