Evry mod : Holy Cow!

Licken2

Just completed the Evry mod on my 02 Jetta 5-spd. Used a small 1k ohm 15-turn potentiometer from Radio Shack. Super easy to do. Measured the resistance at the point where the engine began to shudder slightly... turns out on my car 470 is the sweet spot. Anything more and the idle is terrible. Moreso than I'd be comfortable driving with. At any rate... I'm IMPRESSED! I lined up against my buddies 03 Jetta Wagon (he just bought it). The other day we were dead even against each other from any speed. With the Evry mod I flat out walked away from him - in a cloud of black smoke! LOL! :D Tomorrow night we're gonna wire up a switch or some other method of avoiding the CEL..... and he's gonna do the mod to his Jetta as well. Thanks to this forum for the wonderful info!!!

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
one thing i'd recomend from personal experiance is a boost gauge, and a boost control device. as you're adding more fuel the boost will go up, and spikes will increase.

how do I know? I'm putting in a new head gasket this summer from boost spikes caused by evrymod over fueling.

Turbo gauges can be purhcased for REALLY cheap. there are really nice kits avaliable for the A4's with everything needed for less then 100 dollars.

Licken2

Thanks for the advice. I will probably order a "Dawes Device" very soon. I am going to wire up a switch for this Evry mod... I'll only play with it every once in awhile. Although... never hurts to have your bases covered. :)

Jorgen

Hi.
I´m from Sweden and i´m new here in this forum.
I just want to give you a friendly advice, back off and don´t go so high!
The 90 hp TDI, can take it better than the 110 hp engine.
I´m a manufacturer of lots of different tuning boxes and CPU:s and i have learned it the hard way... ;)

Licken2

Hi Jorgen!

Don't go so high? I'm not sure I understand what you mean. This is the 90hp TDI engine. Maybe that advice wasn't even directed towards me. :)

In other news, I wired up a micro-switch... mounted it under the dash... and while it's off there is indeed no Check Engine Light. Flip it on while driving and there's a sudden blast of power. Couldn't be happier! My boost valve will be here next week. So til then, not much playing.

I love my TDI!

Jorgen

Licken2 said:
Hi Jorgen!

Don't go so high? I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
We are selling a low cost tuning box that works in a similar way. It is the same adjustment procedure, pull it up on idle until it stutters and then pull back a bit. My experience is that if you drive with an adjustment too close to the "stutter" and "shut off" limit and often drive like you stole it, your pump will eventually bite the dust.
I hope i did properly understand what kind of mod you have done. My english is a bit rusty.;)

I just wanted to share my experiences... :)

ICNTDRV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 MK4 Jetta Wagon TDI
I've been interested in making an Evry Mod, but the thought of getting the right parts and putting them together is a little intimidating. A detailed write-up would be nice.

ChadMC

TDI
VW Golf GLS TDI, 2001, Blue
Richard55 said:
I don't think it would be hard, just need to know where to hook the pot to and how to dial it in. Someone help please
It helps to have a multimeter. This is what I got from radioshack:

Multimeter:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103174&cp=&origkw=multimeter&kw=multimeter&parentPage=search

1k Ohms Potentiometer:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062307&cp=&origkw=potentiometer&kw=potentiometer&parentPage=search

On/Off Switch:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062532&cp=&origkw=switch&kw=switch&parentPage=search

And then some thin wire. I had some laying around. I'm not sure how important exact gauge is.

Here is a horrible diagram i drew in paint, hopefully this will give you an idea of how to wire it with a switch. The switch I used has a light in it, so i had to connect it to a 12V source.

http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?image=diagram0dx.jpg

ChadMC

TDI
yea, the 12V source is for the light, its optional if your switch has a light on it or not. The one i listed above has a light built in.

ChadMC

TDI
I'm just now wiring in the wire for the light on my switch and may need some help. There are 3 wires connected to the cigarette liter in the center console. Which one do I connect to my switch so it will light up? I tried the middle wire (red/black) but it didnt work. Anyone know?

cbp_special_k

TDI
2003 Golf TDi GL 4dr
Yes the 12v source is for a light inside the switch. And I had a question, When i put the 1k pot on my car, i did expect to have the cel light come on, what i didn't expect was my glow plug light to start flashing the entire time the car is running. it starts fine, it runs and drives around fine, but the light does not stop blinking till i remove the mod then shut off and start the car again. Is there something i possibly did wronge, bridging the connections or is this normal?

Chad, the swithch on one side should have a yellow label telling you which of the 3 connections is for ground, power and the light, unless it got ripped off the only thing i can say is try the middle and each of the side ones seperately until you get it and if i remember correctly one of those was a ground rather than a 12 source, I think don't quote me on this though.

Last edited:

SoaceMunky

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Anthracite Golf IV, 13 miles and counting ;)
just to clear it up...are we all talking about PD engine in here or no?
im currently working on my evry mod, and i was under the impression the resistor goes in place of the fuel temp sensor. which is much easier since there are only two pins in the connector.

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
We are talking about the non-pd here. On the PD the evry mod for it does go on the fuel temp sensor, on these cars it goes between pins 2-3 on either the 8 or 10 pin harness on the fuel pump.

TDIpurdue

Veteran Member
TDI
My first car: Jetta, '01, silver, automatic
the glowplug light will flash, it's just part of the deal. if you search around a bit there is a holding circuit design out there http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=12165&page=20&highlight=evry+mod+holding+circuit. it's on the 20th page. This avoids the glowplug light and CEL by delaying when the mod is turned on. The lights are thrown by the ECU seeing something wrong on it's startup check of the sensors. So the holding circuit holds the mod off for awhile untill the computer is done checking. Result: no more CEL or glowplug flashing.

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
Well, I'm getting ready to do this too.

When you use the on/off switch do you notice anything with the engine, like a shudder, etc? Or is it smooth and unnoticeable?

I was thinking about using the 1k ohm resistor and dialing it to where it would be with the evry mod on, and then putting say, a 0-1000 ohm potentiometer, with the option so that when turned all the way off it would click off (infinite ohm). So I could turn it on and then slowly dial up to where I wanted the boost.

But then again, if I just wanted boost flicking a switch would be easier, and if there's no drawback to the switch...

Licken2

When I flip the switch on.... the only time I notice the "shudder" (slightly) is at idle. Otherwise you can only tell it's 'on' by the extra power. It's great for the highway onramps. :)

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Ah, ok. I got a lighted rocker switch, 3 amp 32 v inline blade fuse (smallest one they had) and some 18 gauge automotive wire. And a 1k ohm potentiometer. I'll report back in a few hours.

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Grrr. I don't know how to run wires from the passenger compartment in the dash to the engine compartment. Where can I thread some wires through? I have the circuit complete, I just need to get the wires to the harness.

I took out one of the empty button holders where the flashers go and drilled a hole through it for the switch. I also have a wire soldered to the light connection on the switch, but I don't know where I can connect it to. Can I connect it somewhere in the dash, or do I need to connect it in the engine compartment? Thanks!

Audi5000TDI

Banned
TDI
Passat, 1996, Grey
sheesh,

it's simple.... go to the wiring harness and solder in "legs" to the number 2 and 3 wires, between the firewall and the harness connection. Insert a 1/4 watt 880 ohm reisistor, solder it in place. Tape up the electrical

Finished. You get a modest 6 or 7% gain and no shudders, no cel or glowplug light.

xrstamm

TDI
04 Passat
I thought the O2 sensor on the PD canceled out the fuel temp Evry mod. Can someone who has ACTUALLY done it to a 2.0L PD confirm or deny this?

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi,
I want a switch to turn it on and off, and I have already bought that and the potentiometer and built the circuit. I also have straight copper wire soldered to the ends and have stuck them into the harness and tested it. I just have to figure out how to get the wires from the engine to the dash.
And where to put the 12V line.