How many labor hours to replace clutch/flywheel?

DaveLinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Hello.

I'm wondering how many labor hours I can expect to be charged by a shop for replacing a clutch and flywheel on my ALH. It's a SBC Stage 2 Endurance. I know it'll vary from shop to shop, but I'm looking for an average. 6? 7?

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I think they will charge you at least 6 and maybe 8. There are those here who do clutches a lot and claim they can do it in 4-5. I just did the clutch on my car and it took us closer to 10-11 but it was our first time. I did call the one dealer I trust and they said 8 hours but then I know him so I said something like it can't take you that long and he admitted they could probably do it in 5-6 hours.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
8 hours from the dealer sounds about right. I called the dealer where I live, Northern Virginia, and a clutch replacement was $1550! I was told half was the labor charge.

I too replaced my clutch, first time, and I took a leisurly weekend to do it solo. Only paying $380 for a clutch kit and some bolts and gear oil, I saved quite a bit!

Savings for replacing your own timing belt (with a complete kit) save about the same. Dealer quoted $1550 for that too!

--Nate

Last edited:

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
It takes me 3.5 hours if I'm really hustling, using no lift, with air tools, every nut and bolt torqued to spec.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
It's 4.5 hours. Book time.

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
Hello.

I'm wondering how many labor hours I can expect to be charged by a shop for replacing a clutch and flywheel on my ALH. It's a SBC Stage 2 Endurance. I know it'll vary from shop to shop, but I'm looking for an average. 6? 7?

It will depends on what book someone uses. If can vary depending on this.