Engine / injector cleaner & oil additives

rennsportmotorrad

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon
I have a question-I am just trying to take good care of my 2004 Jetta wagon and make it last as long as I can. I run a good grade of fuel always & in every tank I use about 8 oz of Diesel Kleen just because it cant hurt, My question is should I be using any other type of cleaner in the fuel once and a while-( Seafoam, Royal Purple, BG or something else) -The other question is about Lucas oil stabilizer-should I use this in my Jetta-I have used it in the past in gas engines with good results, but I don't know in the TDI--My car has no oil leak's, the engine is quiet so I would not be using it for those issues. Also I would not run a quart of at each oil change maybe only 1/4 of a quart-but my concern is that the oil spec's on these cars are so tight. Any good advice would be appreciated

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Hello

I have the same question. I run dieselkleen + cetane boost in the summer and dieselkleen antigel + cetane boost in the winter, especially during sub -10 degree weather. (not that you have to worry about winter rennsportmotorrad). I am planning on having my TDI a long time and would like to treat it the best I can :rolleyes:. is there anything else I should be running?? Also how do I find what level cetane is in the diesel i buy? I went to several gas stations (maybe I should call them diesel stations ;)) and asked if they knew what level they had and they didn't know what cetane was.

Thank you,
GlowBugTDI

rennsportmotorrad

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon
Hello

I have the same question. I run dieselkleen + cetane boost in the summer and dieselkleen antigel + cetane boost in the winter, especially during sub -10 degree weather. (not that you have to worry about winter rennsportmotorrad). I am planning on having my TDI a long time and would like to treat it the best I can :rolleyes:. is there anything else I should be running?? Also how do I find what level cetane is in the diesel i buy? I went to several gas stations (maybe I should call them diesel stations ;)) and asked if they knew what level they had and they didn't know what cetane was.

Thank you,
GlowBugTDI
I'm the same my stations around me seem to have no idea what the cetane lvl is --I have a Racetrac very close to me that has the best price on diesel and that is the station I have been using for 2 1/2 years, I'm sure some other stations like Chevron, BP etc may have a better grade diesel with more cetane or rather a higher lvl but since I cant seem to get an answer from any of the stations around me I continue to use the Racetrac--The Diesel Kleen I use is the silver bottle, I think it's a bit higher grade, plus as you say I dont have to worry about anti-gel --If I ever need to worry about that I am moving farther south lol

Hwycruiser

TDI
For what its worth, I use DieselKleen also and according to the bottle you only need to put in 4 ounces for your tank size. I have also documented better performance and mileage using the name brands of Shell, Exxon, and Chevron diesel. Those name brands used to state their cetane levels on their websites (have not checked in awhile). But diesel is different than gas with name brand retailers, they do not have to sell the name brand diesel from their pumps. So if you buy from Shell, for instance look for labels that state it is “Shell brand Diesel”.

rennsportmotorrad

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon
For what its worth, I use DieselKleen also and according to the bottle you only need to put in 4 ounces for your tank size. I have also documented better performance and mileage using the name brands of Shell, Exxon, and Chevron diesel. Those name brands used to state their cetane levels on their websites (have not checked in awhile). But diesel is different than gas with name brand retailers, they do not have to sell the name brand diesel from their pumps. So if you buy from Shell, for instance look for labels that state it is “Shell brand Diesel”.
well my thought is if 4 oz is all that is called for --then 8 oz should clean better lol:eek:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Maybe you should just dump the whole bottle in, not. More isn't always better. 99 percent of the attendants working at the station won't have a clue what the cetane levels are and most home offices will more than likely only tell you that they meet the minimum required (40), not what the actual value is. Other than anti gel if needed I wouldn't bother with additives, as long as you are buying fresh fuel from a good commercial source. You might just consider having the injectors serviced when you do a timing belt job every 100k miles.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I have a question-I am just trying to take good care of my 2004 Jetta wagon and make it last as long as I can. I run a good grade of fuel always & in every tank I use about 8 oz of Diesel Kleen just because it cant hurt, My question is should I be using any other type of cleaner in the fuel once and a while-( Seafoam, Royal Purple, BG or something else)
4 oz per tank (per bottle instructions) of Diesel Kleen gray or white bottle depending on outside air temp, is all you need for fuel additive. Since Most Diesel has at least 5% Bio-diesel in it, you probably don't need DK in the warm parts of the year. Bio-Diesel in even small amounts gives you all the lubricity you need.
The other question is about Lucas oil stabilizer-should I use this in my Jetta-I have used it in the past in gas engines with good results,
Define "good results". If you meant it didn't damage your engine, that would be good results I guess. Other than that, Lucas products are pretty much snake oil with no real benefit except making your wallet lighter and easier to carry.

Last edited:

rennsportmotorrad

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon
4 oz per tank (per bottle instructions) of Diesel Kleen gray or white bottle depending on outside air temp, is all you need for fuel additive. Since Most Diesel has at least 5% Bio-diesel in it, you probably don't need DK in the warm parts of the year. Bio-Diesel in even small amounts gives you all the lubricity you need.

Define "good results". If you meant it didn't damage your engine, that would be good results I guess. Other than that, Lucas products are pretty much snake oil with no real benefit except making your wallet lighter and easier to carry.
I use Lucas in engines and gearboxes--in the gearboxes it DOES make them shift smoother--Now I own a BMW Motorcycle shop, and Motorcycles are what I work on--The Lucas does work for some applications -not all--Thats why I ask here-

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
yep I use the gray bottle in the summer,

Originally Posted by rennsportmotorrad
well my thought is if 4 oz is all that is called for --then 8 oz should clean better lol:eek:

I use about 5-6oz per tank since it is a 12 gallon tank, no need to be precise its not chemistry (well to an extent :rolleyes: ) . Any were from 4-8oz is good, its cheap enough anyhow.

(Lightflyer1) What do you mean by having the injectors serviced every 100k or so? Just did my timing belt and tappets the other day at 215800 that's why i ask.

sorry for not using the "quote" thing yet, im still learning. lol

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
If you REALLY want to clean your injectors, you should run a can of LiquiMoly Diesel Purge through the system. Not by simply dumping it in the tank where it gets diluted in the fuel, but by running it full-strength. Here's a link to some YouTube VIDEOS showing how it is done. Since your car is a PD, you will need to put a short section of hose between the supply and return of the filter, so you don't spray fuel all over the place when you do the treatment. The set-up that I made uses a generic coolant overflow canister from my FLAPS and a tee, so that it works like an I-V bottle and doesn't recirculate hot the liquid back into the bottle like in the videos.

If you use the correct oil for your car, no additives are needed. Just change the oil and filter every 10K miles.

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I use Lucas in engines and gearboxes--in the gearboxes it DOES make them shift smoother--Now I own a BMW Motorcycle shop, and Motorcycles are what I work on--The Lucas does work for some applications -not all--Thats why I ask here-

thank you for that, I have used lucas in the past and wondered if it actually did anything.

I have seen results with dieselkleen. Unless it was my imagination:( but I don't think it is.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
yep I use the gray bottle in the summer,

Originally Posted by rennsportmotorrad

I use about 5-6oz per tank since it is a 12 gallon tank, no need to be precise its not chemistry (well to an extent :rolleyes: ) . Any were from 4-8oz is good, its cheap enough anyhow.

(Lightflyer1) What do you mean by having the injectors serviced every 100k or so? Just did my timing belt and tappets the other day at 215800 that's why i ask.

sorry for not using the "quote" thing yet, im still learning. lol
http://www.dbwllc.net/

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
The bottle also says that you should double the dosage rate if running a biodiesel blend (meaning 8oz for our our tanks).

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
The bottle also says that you should double the dosage rate if running a biodiesel blend (meaning 8oz for our our tanks).
Yeah, and given the cleansing effect that biodiesel has, I've always wondered about that...