Timing belt change this weekend

georgedunham@hotmail.com

TDI
2002 Jetta
I'm a bit embarassed to ask, but I once heard that the only stupid question is the one not asked.
I've read up on, and have all the parts and tools to do, the timing belt replacement for my 2002 Jetta auto.
I don't see disconnect battery anywhere. Is that because everyone knows that you disconnect the battery when working on the engine, or because you should not be disconnecting the battery because of all the computers and memory and anti-theft garbage.
So bottom line, do I disconnect the battery or not?

Oh yeah, one more-
Once everything is done and you've done the vag-com timing checker and you're now turning the ip every so little with a crecent wrench (with the three pulley bolts loosened), am I right in assuming that the belt should not move, just the shaft?

Thanks all in advance
G

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Some older cars have problems with radio recognition when the battery has been removed. I think that yours is new enough not to have that issue. On the older cars you needed to have the 4 digit radio code.

I removed the battery connection, since there were several of us working on the car.

You might put the battery on a charger several hours before you are done.

You are correct, during timing adjustments the pump shaft is turning, while the pulley is held in place by the timing belt.

Look for a PM.

Dan