Airbag light, steering wheel and horn fuse.

BioTodd

TDI
1998 Jetta 1z/ahu engine
Ok so i have a 1998 Jetta. I had blown the airbags a year ago or so, and now inspections require "functioning airbags" which I think might be just a visual inspection that the lights come on and then goes off.

So here is what I have done to remedy the situation.

1. obtained Airbag Control Unit from 1997 gas jetta at the junkyard. I then spliced it onto my wires since the connector was different.
2.Took steering wheel from another jetta and swapped it with mine. Including the clockspring and all that stuff.
3.Instead of hooking up the used airbag, I installed 3,1k ohm resistors on the wires for each of my air bags to fake airbags.
4.Vag-com connects to the the Airbag Controller and says that everything is OK, no faults found.

But, the airbag light comes on and off randomly. Sometimes it stays off for 30 mins or so. The airbag light always stay on after i log into the controller.

Also now my horn fuse blows all the time seems to be unrelated to anything, sometimes is blows right when i turn the key sometimes it last like 30 seconds.

I cleaned the metal ring behind the wheel and the other metal contact point, pushing the horn DOES click off the relay even after the fuse had blown.

Thanks --Todd

BioTodd

TDI
1998 Jetta 1z/ahu engine
Horn was unrelated.

Purely coincidence that the corrosion in one of my horns plugs got bad enough to short it self on the same day I removed my steering wheel! Why VW god do you play these games with me!!! Airbag light still intermittent. Im recording a shedule of when it comes on and off to help my diagnosis.

On the upside my intermittent windshield wiper setting works again after being broken for a long time.