No Start - 2010 Jetta TDI 6MT

Alex3000GT

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI 6MT; 1991 Dodge Stealth RT/TT
Car is a 2010 Jetta TDI with a 6 speed manual.

Didn't drive it for 3 days and the battery was dead this morning (engine spun one revolution then dash lights/interior lights/radio went out). Replaced the battery, and now all the electronics work but the car won't crank.

All I get is a *click* when I turn the key. Any thoughts on where to look?

Last edited:

Alex3000GT

TDI
Going to attempt a push start so I can get this thing home and into a warm garage for further troubleshooting.

Wish me luck.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
From your post I assume glowplug ligh cycles on/off, "electronics work" meaning radio etc all function.
If NO - check ground connections, clean, secure, etc. Re/re the battery might be helpful, sometimes I slip up and do something stupid - starting from scratch helps me get it all right.

If YES (radio, lights, etc are functioning) - ground connection are fine.
Look at the starter. If you have voltage in, but no starting, you probably need new starter. Replacing starter on the gf's jeep was fairly simple/straight forward - I have not yet had the need or pleasure of playing with the starter on my 2010.

Alex3000GT

TDI
From your post I assume glowplug ligh cycles on/off, "electronics work" meaning radio etc all function.
If NO - check ground connections, clean, secure, etc. Re/re the battery might be helpful, sometimes I slip up and do something stupid - starting from scratch helps me get it all right.
If YES (radio, lights, etc are functioning) - ground connection are fine.
Look at the starter. If you have voltage in, but no starting, you probably need new starter. Replacing starter on the gf's jeep was fairly simple/straight forward - I have not yet had the need or pleasure of playing with the starter on my 2010.
Thanks for the support - that's a big YES, the glow plug light does cycle on/off (Option 2). I'll look into it.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Sorry....no tech support, just emotional. My battery gave up the ghost yesterday. everything dead when I tried to go to work 5am. Just left it and hopped into the truck. Got back home and found it was indeed bad battery. installed new one and everything good (lucky me).

only problem I had was after I finished, dropped my light and it went down. had to pull my car up onto some 2x6's to crawl under and get it out. was able to grab without removing the belly pan thank goodness.

Alex3000GT

TDI
Sorry....no tech support, just emotional. My battery gave up the ghost yesterday. everything dead when I tried to go to work 5am. Just left it and hopped into the truck. Got back home and found it was indeed bad battery. installed new one and everything good (lucky me).

only problem I had was after I finished, dropped my light and it went down. had to pull my car up onto some 2x6's to crawl under and get it out. was able to grab without removing the belly pan thank goodness.
Lol, tough luck! Thanks for the encouragement. :)

The push start was unsuccessful. There was an insane amount of engine resistance when I let the clutch out in second gear while rolling downhill (roughly 6-7 MPH). Engine rotated a few revs, but didn't fire. Rinse, repeat, same thing. Joan Jetta is going to sit out in the cold for a bit until I can tow her home and do more diagnostics in the garage.

Quick things to check:
-Is the starter somehow jammed up with the flywheel?
-Did the timing belt snap?

Will keep y'all posted.

Alex3000GT

TDI
Closing this issue out so that future searchers can maybe be helped out.

The issue was two fold:
-The starter was indeed dead (tested it at autozone)
-The intercooler was blocked internally by frozen water

Pulled the starter, thawed and drained the intercooler and the car push started! Woohoo.

Alex

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
Closing this issue out so that future searchers can maybe be helped out.

The issue was two fold:
-The starter was indeed dead (tested it at autozone)
-The intercooler was blocked internally by frozen water

Pulled the starter, thawed and drained the intercooler and the car push started! Woohoo.

Alex
Thanks for the update!

1. Glad the starter was an easy fix.
2. How did you end up with that much water in the intercooler? (I've only taken apart the intercooler in my ALH - so I don't know about the CJAA)
3. I'm glad I don't live anywhere that cold. ;)

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
2. How did you end up with that much water in the intercooler? (I've only taken apart the intercooler in my ALH - so I don't know about the CJAA)
It's "emissions" or "ecology" price. N.A. market TDIs suffer from this, although some Euro-spec ones w/old ECU software also have similar problems.
Your ALH is not subjected for that.