What is the best bank for buck eco mod?

Got50MPG

I own a 96 TDI and on the way back from NYNY to KCMO I got just above 44mpg doin 80mph. My brother and I are 'big boned' and we had a whole bunch crap with us so I think that contributed to the sub 50mpg. Besides inflating the tires and removing the snow screen what would be the best bang for buck eco mods?

Thanx,
Got50MPGs

DaveC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL, 5 spd, Mohave beige, 2015 Golf TDI red!
Slow down! How can your expect to get good fuel economy driving 80 MPH?
Do about 60 MPH, and you will get closer to 50 MPG.

Got50MPG

I am used to driving performance cars so it'll take a while for me to lay of the go pedal.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I interpret that last reply to imply that you don't really want economy tips.
OK, here's one that will still allow you to drive at that speed;
Don't use the brakes.
Any fuel used to accelerate and to generate momentum is squandered when it is turned into heat and brake dust. Once at speed, whatever it might be, you have turned fuel into momentum which is still useful to you. Braking and turning that momentum into heat and noise will not allow you further use of that energy.

I still drive a performance car, but I can get 90+ mpg in it when I concentrate on economy.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
You can't get 50 MPG doing 80 MPH. In fact in my car I'm lucky to get 40 MPG at 80.

That said, slow down going uphill and speed up going down. Clean your snowscreen/airfilter, advance your timing, inflate your tires, throw out any unneeded weight, wash the car, use cetane-improving fuel additives, and I've read that single-digit percentages of biodiesel can return single-digit improvements in MPG due to improved lubricity.

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
[ QUOTE ]
use cetane-improving fuel additives, and I've read that single-digit percentages of biodiesel can return single-digit improvements in MPG due to improved lubricity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both of these benefits are achieved by using Schaeffer's Soy Shield. It is 50% biodiesel (from soybean oil, of course!) and 50% various additives.

I have never heard of anyone using Soy Shield and not liking it (well, except for chiefdiesel!!!). I never leave home without 10oz in my truck just in case I get fuel while I'm out!

Tim

AkAl

Veteran Member
TDI
97 passat
yes Ramstein is correct I got 3 mpg after going to mtl smoother shifts also. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

mackwood

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta grey
3mpg increase is alot. Can you use redline for newer A4 manual trannies? Is it better than the factory fill? If there is such an increase in mpg's alot of people must be using this stuff. Can anybody chime in if you are using Redline MTF on a A4 and give your results?

hatchy20TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Silver Golf GL
Redline MTL is BUTTA! Used it for the first time in my Integra and WOW did the car feel different. Smooth shifts and I never had a problem finsing the gears. Be expected to pay about $10 a quart for this stuff, but it's well worth it.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
[ QUOTE ]
i often attain 46-47MPG on 80 mph trips of 180 to 200 miles length.

[/ QUOTE ]Yes, and I'm one of the "lucky ones" that gets 10% less MPG for no apparent reason.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
I've not used redline in my Jetta but I along with most BMW motorcycles riders use it for the trans and driveshaft. The BMW dealer sell it in the store. That should speak of how good Redline is.

I'll probably get around to putting it into the Jetta, soon.

Arthur

Veteran Member
TDI
04 jetta
[ QUOTE ]
I've not used redline in my Jetta but I along with most BMW motorcycles riders use it for the trans and driveshaft. The BMW dealer sell it in the store. That should speak of how good Redline is.

[/ QUOTE ]

That there is nothing from Germany to top it? When is BMW gonna make a sport bike anyways... Would love to see one.

STIFFLER

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Blue Jetta TDI
I am interested in this redline oil for A4's anyone have any info on it?

chiefdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat tdi, 1996 Passat tdi
Tarbe, I have three gallons of Soyshield that's for sale. I don't like it. I get better results from Power Service (gray bottle). Chiefdiesel

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
[ QUOTE ]
Tarbe, I have three gallons of Soyshield that's for sale. I don't like it. I get better results from Power Service (gray bottle). Chiefdiesel

[/ QUOTE ]

Driving through Houston any time soon??

Tim

gardentender

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GL 5 spd, 2001, Galactic Blue
When is BMW gonna make a sport bike anyways... Would love to see one.

they've made sport bikes for years; it's just that their concept of "sport" is different from "conventional wisdom"

Got50MPG

Thanx all for your replies, It sounds like the best bangs are:

Weel inflated tires,
Remove Snow screen,
Change tranny oil,
Add Soyshield or Power Service (gray bottle)
Slow down a bit.

Anyone see any increase in MPG by removing cat and resonator and going to a larger exhaust and drop in K&N or similar filter?

I know on turbo gasoline (is that a curse word around here?) cars that is essential to getting the most out of the engine.

Also were would I get some of the Soyshield, Power Service or .10 cent a gallon fuel?

Thanx again for your reponses

gardentender

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GL 5 spd, 2001, Galactic Blue
would NOT recommend a K&N filter or any other oiled media aftermarket filter. the stock air filters do a damn good job.
yes, a K&N will improve mass airflow along with the amount of oily schmutz on the MAF sensor and the size of gritty particles ingested into the engine.
K&N's are good for competition engines that are frequently rebuilt, but not practical for day to day Walter Mitty budget use.

(all this based on our recent involvement in a K&N type oiled filter for gas turbine helicopter engines. those powerplants can tolerate far more particulate matter than our Rolex quality recips)

JettaJake

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 GLS 5spd
past posts contain extended debates on snow screen removal

I camp with the conventional wisdom of leaving it in place but cleaning it at least every other oil change....it takes all of 10 minutes on an A4 Jetta and if you remove it, where is all the crap it normally catches going? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

mileage story? this past summer's trip was mostly on I-95 CT to NCarolina ~730 miles, average speed ~70mph (including a few practically dead stops on the NJT and one of at least 20 minutes) ---> 47mpg+ and that includes a few stretches doing 90+ and topping 100mph more than once. My around town mileage is more like 45 but then you would never confuse my driving style with JohnBarlett's /images/graemlins/wink.gif

T

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
[ QUOTE ]
My around town mileage is more like 45 but then you would never confuse my driving style with JohnBarlett's /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Or me!!!!!!!! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

mgwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
black 1999 New Beetle
[ QUOTE ]
past posts contain extended debates on snow screen removal

I camp with the conventional wisdom of leaving it in place but cleaning it at least every other oil change....it takes all of 10 minutes on an A4 Jetta and if you remove it, where is all the crap it normally catches going?

[/ QUOTE ]
I kind of agree about the snow screen - in general. If I had a Jetta, I'd do as he says. But I have a Beetle, and the access to the snow screen is significantly more involved. When the weather clears up, it's coming out of there. "Where is the crap going?" It will be going into the air cleaner box, which I clean and re-filter regularly, thank you. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Mark

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
[ QUOTE ]
Besides .....and removing the snow screen what would be the best bang for buck eco mods?

[/ QUOTE ]

how is this going to improve your mileage??? it just filters out bugs/sand. it really doesnt impede airflow, and if it does there is a suction/trap door that opens. i left mine in and check it every 10k during the winter and 5k during the summer. catches a lot of bugs/sand

Octavian

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 2.5TDI V6, Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI
[ QUOTE ]
You can't get 50 MPG doing 80 MPH. In fact in my car I'm lucky to get 40 MPG at 80.

[/ QUOTE ]

You CAN get 50mpg at 80mph, in fact even at 85mph. That's what I regularly get.

How? 6-speed manual gearbox /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Punk... /images/graemlins/wink.gif
I just got 34 mpg at 80 mph from Portland to Salt Lake City. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I had 526 miles on the tank and was bone dry... (took over 15 gallons to fill) /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif