Tdi won’t stay running

cantelonjeff

TDI
2002 jetta 2003 jetta 2002 jetta
Bought an 02 jetta tdi auto that supposedly had a bad injector pump , so i pulled the motor and tranny to do a 5 speed swap . Put a vnt 17 turbo and deleted the egr put a new timing belt on vr6 clutch , got it all back in redid the wiring but now my fuse 11 keeps blowing ( inst cluster/ tranny solenoid) keeps blowing -5 amp . Have a code p1650-35-10 and p1626-35-00 . Can’t clear these . Tried another ins cluster but fuse still blows . Tcu is unplugged , changed the soft coding to 00002 , anyone have any ideas? I followed the wiring directions from the forum . Car will start and quit like it has an immobilizer but the ecu has it off( immo defeated )

Last edited:

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
You have a short somewhere. Fix that first.

Swapping clusters requires immobilizer coding. I would avoid that for now.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
check for ground continuity on both sides of the fuse socket. if there is any continuity to ground then you should check ALL pins at every fuse and see what else is grounded out, if nothing else then you just have to track down where the short is.

cantelonjeff

TDI
Thnks , I checked both sides the fuse holder yesterday morning and they both go to ground..... i was expecting one side but not both , i am going to check to see if any more do . I checked my parts car and the one black wire that feeds #11 has a bunch of blacks tied together in the loom , must be a short there somewhere, frustrating when u are looking in amongst 100 wires....

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I would buy a wire tracer probe. Makes this sort of a job so much less painless. There costly though so......

Work this from known working areas and trace back. I would not bypass and pull new wires though as the area is probably an issue where its smooshed. My guess is some of the wire loom got smooshed when installing something. Trace the harness after the firewall. My guess is where is goes under the battery tray area or over top the trans. Most places like that are issues. Who knows. Good luck with this. Wiring is supper simple but really frustrating to keep track of and work on.
I personally dread the time when I have to become a temporary spaghetti farmer on my swap.

cantelonjeff

TDI
Ended up replacing the wire from fuse 11 to one of the plugs on the instrument cluster , not sure where it was shorted but none of the rest are , all good now .
Jeff

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not a good option but as long as it's all on a fuse it should be good