NEW TO TDI's **just here for questions**

billybanks

TDI
A5 BRM in a Ranger
Hi,

I am new to TDI's but not to cars though...

I have a jetta that I took the engine out of for an 85' ranger TDI project...

I got the engine mocked up in the truck and I am here for BRM engine wiring information...

I have all the wiring diagrams, and generally speaking I dont usually have issues with wiring, but these diagrams are kind of confusing and they seem to jump around a lot.
Does anyone have an ECU pin list that says what each one is supposed to go to?
I did searching with google and on this site, but most of the information I found is overwhelmingly for ALH engines. That would be fine if it was pertinent...
Right now the big hurdle that I am working to overcome is figuring out how to power the ECU and how to wire up the glow plug relay. I may be just misreading the diagrams, but it seems like it is missing all of the information about hooking that up without having it wired into the factory harness.

Yeah, this was kind of a long introduction, but I wanted to get everything out here.
I can post some more refined questioins elsewhere in this forum if that is better.

Hope to hear from everyone soon!

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Welcome to TDI club!
There's a specific section for conversions discussion,
less traffic there, but more focused:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63
You might get some guidance here too though.
The Bentley has very good wiring diagrams, but they take some voodoo to comprehend.
Supposedly once you get how they're layed out they're good.
Also, the best way to search this site is by using Bing or the Googul (tdiclub topic)

billybanks

TDI
A5 BRM in a Ranger
Hi STDOUBT and thank you!

I think the wiring diagrams I have are from a bentley manual. They are identical to others I have seen. The website is a library resource that you only need a library card for, and it is sponsored by chilton. I dont know how much they have in common, but I have seen other bentley diagrams and they look the same...
I also have a haynes manual that is basically worthless because they dont have any info on the ECU at all. I can use it for stripping the non essential wires out of the rest of it, but I know there are things on the ECU that I wont need for standalone operation...
I was doing some reading about someone who used a BEW out of a passat and the engine diagram that was referenced by him in another post was for an ALH. Do you know if their are any similarities between the older and new harnesses?
Anyway, I will be posting in the Conversions sub-forum.
And thanks again!