Torklift hitch install problems:

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
So a bit unrelated, but I had some minor install issues like this on my '13 JSW for the torklift. I had to slot the rear frame (on the car) to get it to fit correctly.

I originally had tried a CURT but it hung so low that it scraped (hard) out of almost every driveway.

milktree

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2004 Jetta Wagon (sold!)
So a bit unrelated, but I had some minor install issues like this on my '13 JSW for the torklift. I had to slot the rear frame (on the car) to get it to fit correctly.

That sounds.... bad. The frame is kind of important!

I originally had tried a CURT but it hung so low that it scraped (hard) out of almost every driveway.

Curt makes two versions, one that is visually very similar to the Torklift, mounts the same way, same shape, etc.

The other mounts to the frame rails and hangs down way lower, you can see the crossbar from the back of the car.

Which one did you get that you didn't like?

I opted for the Torklift-like version.

I'll take pictures of the Curt when it shows up.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I'm glad Torklift has been helpful. What would be most helpful is if they could clarify the differences in their design, and the dates of change in production. There are certainly people over the the vortex threads who have purchased recently and had no install problems (although without pictures, or DIY install reports, it's hard to say if they were aware of the fitment issues). When did you purchase your hitch? Could the model number sticker on it just be wrong?

I'm curious as to why Torklift didn't just pull some of their current X7315 hitches and take pictures for you (and they) to compare.

I would consider other options, especially as the Curt (and others) have gotten closer to the Ecohitch design, but I already have some 2" accessories. I could use a converter from 1.25", but I'd prefer 2", and the only ones I've seen are the Ecohitch and the Stealth (which is nice but too pricey).

milktree

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm glad Torklift has been helpful. What would be most helpful is if they could clarify the differences in their design, and the dates of change in production. There are certainly people over the the vortex threads who have purchased recently and had no install problems (although without pictures, or DIY install reports, it's hard to say if they were aware of the fitment issues). When did you purchase your hitch? Could the model number sticker on it just be wrong?

Maybe? But I doubt it.

The instructions show the welded version, but the manufacturing tech sheet they sent me shows a bend.

I suspect they changed the design to one that is cheaper to manufacture based on the original design, but didn't take into account the radius of the bend and what it would interfere with. But I can't be sure.

I'm curious as to why Torklift didn't just pull some of their current X7315 hitches and take pictures for you (and they) to compare.

Well, if I were in their position, I would do what they did: Sent me a jpg of the manufacturing spec. doc. That is easier for them, and far more clear because it has dimensions on it.

I'm not going to fault their response at all. They dealt with this as well as I could have asked.

They even suggested that I take the car to one of their development shops so they could check it out. We both realized that was absurd, since the closest one is 3,000 miles away.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The instructions show the welded version, but the manufacturing tech sheet they sent me shows a bend.

I suspect they changed the design to one that is cheaper to manufacture based on the original design, but didn't take into account the radius of the bend and what it would interfere with. But I can't be sure.
I think that all sounds like a reasonable conclusion. I'm just surprised that they weren't more interested in the fact that there are two different "versions" of the same model hitch, given how strongly they back their fitment.

All the threads speak highly of their customer service- I'd just like to know what I'm buying ahead of time, and to skip headaches that could be easily avoided.

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
Sorry I misspoke before: I installed a hidden eco hitch on my mk6 jsw, not a tork lift.

Still though, I had (minor) fitment issues and it took me some time to get it to work right. Such has been my experience with all but the very best “plug and play” aftermarket parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uberdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Night Blue Golf TDI SEL
I tried to install one of these a year ago. It didn’t fit. Period.

I contacted their customer service and we concluded that it must have been bent in shipment.

I took it to a machine shop and had it straightened.

I took it back to my VW mechanic... it still didn’t fit.

I returned it.

I hope it works out better for you. It’s a stout and very well built product.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hi all, if any Ecohitch peeps are still watching:

Does anyone have validated measurements and guidance for trimming the lower rear valance (Mk7 GSW) for the X7315 install? That's the 2" receiver. I have the suggestions from Torklift, but several threads in other forums include "I wish I had trimmed less" comments. TIA.

milktree

Veteran Member
TDI
Was this resolved? Looking at the 2" set up and this has me on the fence...

The way I resolved it was to return it and buy a Curt, which fit perfectly, and didn't require any cutting of any bodywork. I was able to get the bumper cover on without any modifications.

It's a bummer, 'cuz the TorkLift design seemed quite stout, and I liked the added flexibility of the 2" receiver.

For me, the smaller receiver is probably just fine as I'll probably never use it for anything other than towing a trailer, and even the 1-1/4" receiver is strong enough for more than the car can tow.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A friend and I did an install on a 2015 GSW a few weeks ago. It was the X7315, with 2" version receiver, ordered in April or May, but I didn't see a production date. The design does not have the notch shown in the first pic in post #27, and is more like the one milktree had, with the rounded design in the second pic in post 27. There were no problems with the install as far as the hitch itself fitting or hitting the metal lip on the rear of the car. I should have taken pictures of measurements so that we could compare to milktree's, but we had a limited time window. I did take a few other pictures as time allowed, and will try to post those, or write up an install thread. When I re-look at milktree's photos now, either the hitches are considerably different, or the location of the lower metal lip is quite different, because (as I look at it now with some experience) his hitch isn't even close to fitting. I will say that the fit on the one we did was "tight," if that's the right word, and there's not much wiggle room. I will be attempting to install the same model on my w's 2015 GSW, so I'll do a better job of documenting it and measuring for comparison- plus we'll have another one to see if the design and clearance is different.

Other notes, in mostly random order:

I'm used to taking off MkIV bumper covers, so all the plastic tabs of the Mk7 were alarming and annoying. It's quite hard not to damage the initial tabs, where you cannot access them until the bumper cover is already being pulled away from the body. We had a variety of body trim tools and mini flat head screwdrivers, so that helped.

We raised the rear end on jack stands (first time using Safe Jack Rennstands- worked really well) and having more space helped a lot. If you aren't working on a lift, I'd suggest using jack stands in the rear.

The directions are mediocre, the non-sponsored internet videos helped more than the black and white pamphlet. The 4min video from Torklift is (IMO) unhelpful.

Despite both sets of instructions (video and manual), I initially missed a torx screw in each wheel well, only because it's different than a MkIV and hard to see until you're looking directly at it. Again, we had limited time, so slower would have been better.

We took the rear wheels off for ease of access- there's almost no reason not to do this, and it helps quite a bit for both removing torx screws and seeing how the bumper cover is attached (and re-installing later).

This was definitely a two person job for about 10 minutes of the install, and that's the actual lifting, adjusting, and bolting of the hitch, and removal/install of the bumper cover. We chose not to follow the instructions of installing one mounting bolt "backwards" to use as a helper when mounting the hitch, and it wasn't needed (unless you are working alone). Unlike a MkIV Westy/Bosal install, where the hitch replaces the bumper, the Ecohitch is designed to have the steel bumper sit over it, making the lift/hold/bolt/adjust/bolt process hard for one person. The hitch will need very small adjustments to get all the bolt holes aligned (moving hitch and bumper back and forth a few mm both L/R and up/down), and holding both in precise place while tightening the bolts. I would suggest having a helper to ease this process, even if you have use one bolt as a hanger per the instructions.

We did not have any paint / coating ready to add to the hitch as an additional measure against gouges / rust. I will re-spray the one that goes on my w's car prior to install.

The OE fitment of the bumper cover is quite tight underneath, and the small rectangle mounting posts with mini torx screws (T5?) did not want to go back into place without considerable persuasion. We chose to leave one out b/c the plastic would have cracked if we forced it in place- this might be due to pressure on the lower valance from the receiver, which might be pushing the valance away from the bumper cover, but I'm not sure. This retainer system is, IMO, a poor design compared to the MkIV.

We separated the lower valance from the bumper cover so that the cutting of the lower valance and re-install of the bumper cover would be easier. I think this is more useful for the 1 1/4 receiver, where an owner may want to cut as little as possible, and enlarge the cut with each test fit. When I do it again, I'll just make the cut according to the directions and reinstall the bumper cover and valance as a unit. This area is far less visible than imagined, and any heartache over cutting the OE valance is lost when it all disappears in the dark under the car.

I initially cut the valance with a fine serrated blade I had left over, maybe from a mini hacksaw. This blade was too "fine" and the metal too malleable, and it did not want to cut easily- but it did leave a very smooth, nice result. I switched over to a plain old utility knife which worked well, although was harder to move in a straight line. Someone with more craft-oriented tools probably has a better suggestion.

Impressions: Very good design (this version, at least), and very robust. Much more protection at the rear than the bumper itself, which seemed much lighter. I think this is the best option (at this price point) if you want a 2" US-style receiver. The other designs which mimic this one are probably fine if you want a 1 1/4' receiver, and some of those are cheaper. The recent sale price on the Ecohitch, 2" receiver, and robust construction were the selling points for me. I'd say the paint, which looks nice, would benefit from another protective coat or rubberized coating, but someone more knowledgeable might disagree. The Bosal/Westy design is superior, but pricey and the swan neck and ball make using US/NA accessories problematic. The Stealth hitch is the long awaited answer to finally getting a removable NA style receiver, but at $600 to $800+, I'd rather buy Bosal and invest in the removable NA style receiver Bosal produced for the Tesla.

Time: The removal of the bumper and install of the hitch/bumper unit took 20 minutes, it's everything else that will slow down the process. We took about 4 hours, but that included some other small projects, so budget accordingly. As with anything, missing a single tool or useful item may slow everything down (trim tools, torx bits, superglue, paint, headlamp, torque wrench, etc.).

As long as the bumper cover is off:
If your bumper is rusty, this is the time to re-spray or protect it against the elements. You also have access to the rear sunroof drains (if equipped), so this is a good time to remove the caps and clean the lines, if desired.