what all season tires are recommended for 2015 GSW

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
For what it is worth, I got 90k miles out of my original Bridgestone ecopia 422 plus. I now have Michelin defender. I have better traction but somewhat lost 10% fuel efficiency (average went from 55 to 50 mpg). Not a good deal since they are not that much better, and about the same price.
Many owners will report lower FE with new tires, if all/most other factors are similar.

Newer tires, if all else is equal, are heavier- and that weight is at the corners, reducing FE. New tires are taller, which decreases the reported mileage in your odometer (reducing calculated FE). Newer tires have more rolling resistance than older tires, often even compared to non LRR tires. "Old" tires, (especially ones that are well worn and about to be replaced) are often at their peak for higher observed FE. Worn out tires are lighter, "shorter," and have (generally) the lowest rolling resistance of their lifespan. This makes the swap to new tires more dramatic in observed FE.

Of course, if you replace heavy, wide, sport tires with lighter, narrower, LRR tires, the new ones will usually show improved FE.

A search will reveal lots more good info....including this same post in an old thread.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
Many owners will report lower FE with new tires, if all/most other factors are similar.

Newer tires, if all else is equal, are heavier- and that weight is at the corners, reducing FE. New tires are taller, which decreases the reported mileage in your odometer (reducing calculated FE). Newer tires have more rolling resistance than older tires, often even compared to non LRR tires. "Old" tires, (especially ones that are well worn and about to be replaced) are often at their peak for higher observed FE. Worn out tires are lighter, "shorter," and have (generally) the lowest rolling resistance of their lifespan. This makes the swap to new tires more dramatic in observed FE.

Of course, if you replace heavy, wide, sport tires with lighter, narrower, LRR tires, the new ones will usually show improved FE.

A search will reveal lots more good info....including this same post in an old thread.
You are correct about new tires being less FE and my mileage has improved a little bit after 35000 miles on the new tires. But still, it is way worse than the Ecopia, even when the Ecopia were new.
Of course, the Michelin defender is NOT a low rolling resistance tire, so my guess is that it does make a difference, at least on our cars.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Alignment is important as it will greatly affect tire life. Most techs, but not all like to set toe in middle of green, thinking that it is ideal. If you set toe to zero, your tire life, and tracking will be improved. Centering is not affected my much as castor provides plenty. tire life is extended a lot.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Continental ExtremeContact DWS

On the previous generation of this car, I decided (after reading lots of reviews) on Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 205/55R16. Walmart had them at a competitive price; ditto for mounting. I was mostly after good wet performance; the very acceptable performance on snow was a nice bonus. So far very happy with them (good traction on dry, wet and also snowy roads).

Once the tires have a few 10k on them, I'm planning to switch back to using my winter wheels, but for the first winter I left them on, and have no complaints so far.

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
Im on my second set of BF Goodrich Advantage Sport 113k miles

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
For what it is worth, I got 90k miles out of my original Bridgestone ecopia 422 plus.
I now have Michelin defender. I have better traction but somewhat lost 10% fuel efficiency (average went from 55 to 50 mpg). Not a good deal since they are not that much better, and about the same price.
When I switched to the Ecopias on my JSW, I saw about a 10% boost in FE. This was based on 5000 miles before and after the new tires. I assume this was the LLR properties of the tire. I'm on my second set of those with about 60k out of the first set. Based on my experience, I'm not surprised that you saw a drop in FE switching away from them.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
When I switched to the Ecopias on my JSW, I saw about a 10% boost in FE. This was based on 5000 miles before and after the new tires. I assume this was the LLR properties of the tire. I'm on my second set of those with about 60k out of the first set. Based on my experience, I'm not surprised that you saw a drop in FE switching away from them.
I'm glad you confirm my findings. Those Ecopias are certainly fuel savers. I guess low rolling resistance is not just marketing after all. It would be nice if someone could compare them with Michelin Energy Saver tires.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
At the time I bought the last set, I don't remember Costco carrying the Michelin Energy Savers. My next set of tires is probably going to be for the truck. OUCH!

jverheul

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL
Michelin CrossClimate+ 225/45/18

Costco.

Wish they had the SUV version. 225/50/18.
Finally drove these in the wet, and having the limited slip turned up all the way, got to experience progressive breakaway for the first time. Very impressive and controllable. The size also leaves room for chains.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I've always been happy with Michelin tires.
I just go to their web site to look up the recommended ones and compare the ratings for traction, temp, and thread wear.

jverheul

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL
I've always been happy with Michelin tires.
I just go to their web site to look up the recommended ones and compare the ratings for traction, temp, and thread wear.
I use TireRacks tools to compare and rank all brands. Where is this Michelin tool?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think it's just a comparison sheet from their website.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I recently put a set of Continental DWS 06 on my wife's GTI.

I had a set on another VW as well. I have always been extremely happy with all aspects of the tire.