When did the 90s-2000 Beetle change its shspe?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Mid year '99 went from MK3 model to MK4 model.
I believe that's the start of new Beetle

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
Interesting. Would my 1999 CA Car cover fit a 2000 model Beetle? They look identical to me (shrug)

Last edited:

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I had a car cover from a 1999 Beetle but it doesn’t fit my 2005 Beetle (no matter how much I stretch it). California Car Cover confirmed that a 1999 cover won’t fit a 2005.

In what year was the Beetle changed?

EDIT: This website says 2005 had a redesign: https://www.autoevolution.com/volkswagen/beetle/
The major refresh happened for model year 2006 where the headlights, taillights, front and rear fascia were all refreshed.

The 2005's only real exterior difference to a 1999 would be the exterior mirrors. The rest is effectively identical (unless you're also going to point out that the 2005 doesn't have the flip up emblem, key hole and handle for the hatch too).

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Interesting. Would my 1999 CA Car cover fit a 2000 model Beetle? They look identical to me (shrug)
Yes. The New Beetle started in 1998. The mid-99 change was when the Jetta and Golf switched over to the Mk4 chassis. NB changes were all very minor (such as the loss of the passenger side door lock cylinders in '99 and later) until the larger changes in 2006.

Cheers,

PH

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Any car cover for any "New Beetle" is going to fit the same. The 2006+ facelift did not appreciably change the shape of the car, and it is still the same size. Even the convertibles are the exact same shape with the top up.

Remember, though, the original "real" Beetle, with its engine in the back where it belongs, was still in production until 2003. So if you ordered a car cover for a "1999 Beetle" you may have gotten one for that, and those cars ARE much, much smaller, and shaped differently, and a cover for those most certainly will NOT fit a "New Beetle".

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
Except you’re wrong. My car cover doesn’t fit my updated 2005 Beetle (and California car coverts confirmed I need a different cover)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Why do you need a car cover for a car you are going to trash and drive to ruin? Seems counterproductive to spend money you say you don't have on a cover for a car you are going to ruin.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Why do you need a car cover for a car you are going to trash and drive to ruin? Seems counterproductive to spend money you say you don't have on a cover for a car you are going to ruin.
:D:D:D
maybe to hide his out of state tags or to cover up or hide the soot? mabe to hide some damages that would otherwise get the car pulled over for missing body parts? WHO KNOWS what this guy is trying to do.