Malone Stage 0 tune on Stock TDI possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Just for the record - $146/hr is CHEAP in California any where near a dealer. When I left 15+ years ago it was the much. And last I heard most new car dealers are charging over $200/hr (some $250/hr) in that state.

Also we are talking about a PA registered car (that was in PA at some point??). Add extra time for east coast rust and 15 year old car.

@BeetlePD - I think the amount of money and/or time you spend trying to use the car without a turbo would be wasted money. Since you have another ride I would suggest save $$ up. At the same time while saving, search for a member or trusted shop to help you do the work cheaper than the dealer that quoted $4000.

Good luck!

Jason

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
THANKS Silverghost for the advice :)
1.5 quarts in 1000 miles? Holy cow that's a lot of oil.
Not when you have a blown turbo (like I do). Also oddly enough some car manufacturers think that level of oil consumption is normal (referring to Audi, BMW, Subaru, Toyota)
The turbo is always making boost
Really? I didn’t know that. I thought the turbo produced 0 boost during steady state driving (no acceleration). That’s how my hybrid car works: No electric boost during constant 60mph cruising

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Probably 5-10 psi under steady-state driving on the highway... if the engine is doing any work other than idling the turbo will be working too.

You're losing more oil under heavy boost because the stress on the turbo impellers introduces more lateral torque on your worn turbo bearing.... increasing the clearances and allowing more oil to leave via the exhaust and intake tracts, rather than draining back into the block.

Eventually the shaft will let go under these circumstances and you'll have a runaway as even more oil rushes past the bearing and into the intake.

If you really must drive the car in this condition all you really need to do short-term is block off the turbo oil feed line where it leaves at the base of the oil filter housing... thus preventing any further oil leakage and/or a potential runaway. The impellers will soon seize and further restrict flow airflow, but at least the car will be safe for you, any passengers, and any innocent bystanders, should a runaway happen at the wrong time.

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
You can buy a pretty decent assortment of cheap tools for a couple hundred. A lot of us probably started wrenching on our own cars when we were young out of necessity. It's a great skill to pick up.
Op's "has no Money" But has $250. for a tune......

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
Op's "has no Money" But has $250. for a tune......
The tune disables the turbo, so the car can be driven safely. As for “runaway” the PD TDI has an Anti-shudder valve that stops it from happening. The ASV blocks the air intake to stop the engine.

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
Maybe

The tune disables the turbo, so the car can be driven safely. As for “runaway” the PD TDI has an Anti-shudder valve that stops it from happening. The ASV blocks the air intake to stop the engine.
There are plenty of PD runaway threads....with and without the ASV functioning properly...just a matter of time.
If you can afford to let it sit a few months, saving and fixing it properly would be the best thing.
As for what you want to do, its not that much cheaper than just fixing it.

subrcribed as I'm interested to see if this can be done cheaper.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Lol wut? You just keep telling yourself that and dont come back crying when it does happen because there is about a half dozzen threads in the last 6 months about this exact runaway on this engine.
How will a tune disable a turbo? It wont work that way. There is more labor is deleting the turbo or making it work inplace than to just replace it. Seeing as your heartset on having somone do the work I fail to see how a $300 tune and $500 in labor is a good idea. If I had to guess I'd say it's probably 5 hours maybe more to block off the turbo so its save vs the 3 to 4 hours to install a new one. Probably less.

Your logic is so backwards its inconceivable.
Feels like it's a big deal. You have no money but your spending $ on oil on a car you say you dont need to drive. But your driving it?

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
No I’ve been driving my honda. The Beetle has not moved since I drove the 1000 miles from Wyoming to Socal
I can confirm from first hand experience that a PD will slap the anti shudder valve shut when RPM rises above what ECM expects. I wish the ALH would do the same but apparently that ECM is not so smart.
I think Silverghost is correct (ASV closes intake and stops runaway). It also confirms what the VW mechanic said after he inspected my car: “You don’t need to worry about runaway because the engine has a shutoff to block the intake. Also there’s no pooling of oil to cause it. Your only worry is lack of power.”

I believe these 2 mechanics as it’s their job to know (and Silverghost is very knowledgeable). Perhaps he isn’t? But it sounds like he’s fixed a lot of TDIs

Last edited:

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005

NOT a runway. “Highway driving, started spewing white smoke“ I have experienced and itvwas NOT a runway. Oftentimes posters use that word, even though it does not properly apply. A PD-TDI or CR-TDI will be stopped by the ECU automatically blocking the air intake, so no more air received. The engine dies.

BTW Geobmx4life what is your expertise compared to Silverghost? (silence). That’s what I thought: Nothing at all. I HAVE ZERO INTEREST IN HEARING FROM HEARING NON- mechanics. Keep quiet because you have ZERO experience in TDI repair. You know as little (as I do) about TDIs. I wish to hear from PROFESSIONALS not random forum posts

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
NOT a runway. Oftentimes posters use that word, even though it does not properly apply. A PD-TDI or CR-TDI will be stopped by the ECU automatically blocking the air intake, so no more air received. The engine dies.

BTW what is your expertise compared to Silverghost? (silence). That’s what I thought: Nothing at all. I HAVE ZERO INTEREST IN HEARING FROM HEARING NON- mechanics. Keep quiet because you have ZERO experience in TDI repair. You know as little (as I do) about TDIs. I wish to hear from PROFESSIONALS not random forum posts

You need an attitude adjustment newbie. If you can't communicate in a civil manner you should go elsewhere.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Every once in a while I find someone just as heard headed like me. I like this guy now. I feel that we would be friends lol

DUDE, we just want to help. We all have a thick skin and are trying to give you the benefit of the doubt but it seems it’s all gone at this point. We have all told you MANY times what’s going on and what a good sensible course of action is.

Mechanics tend to be shady, I don’t know of any here like that or any of them on our list and I stand with good mechs like you just suggest like Silverghost.
He did just tell you that it’s not a good idea though and I don’t understand how you can be two faced about what you just said.
Ehhemmm
@BeetlePD - I think the amount of money and/or time you spend trying to use the car without a turbo would be wasted money.
I’m not an expert on PD engines but it does not take a smart man to see that there are MANY THREADS about PD engines and runaways. If you are so sure about the capacity for the car to prevent this I suggest you MAKE SURE those parts are in working order. But heck, you’re not going to listen to anyone but yourself. So……
and yes... that thread linked was DEFINITELY a runaway.

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
NOT a runway. “Highway driving, started spewing white smoke“ I have experienced and itvwas NOT a runway. Oftentimes posters use that word, even though it does not properly apply. A PD-TDI or CR-TDI will be stopped by the ECU automatically blocking the air intake, so no more air received. The engine dies.

BTW what is your expertise compared to Silverghost? (silence). That’s what I thought: Nothing at all. I HAVE ZERO INTEREST IN HEARING FROM HEARING NON- mechanics. Keep quiet because you have ZERO experience in TDI repair. You know as little (as I do) about TDIs. I wish to hear from PROFESSIONALS not random forum posts

I never said it was a runaway, I was simply trying to get you to see that PD's can and DO have runaways. As for my experience compared to Silverghosts...I'm a Millwright, industrial mechanic and TDI enthusiast that has done all of my own mods, see my signature...I work on diesels and turbines for a living...just on a much larger scale...I've seen so called fail safe diesel engines have runaways...not just TDI's...just trying to help you out here...if the seals go in your turbo, even after your Malone 0 tune, you could get a runaway....you would still need to remove the turbo...I wish the tune would work for you with the turbo still in place but unfortunately it won't.

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
If the seals go in your turbo, even after your Malone 0 tune, you could get a runaway....you would still need to remove the turbo...I wish the tune would work for you with the turbo still in place but unfortunately it won't.
Yes I intend to remove the turbo, as it appears the cheapest option (and safest).

BTW runaway engine can be stopped with 5th gear and releasing the clutch. Engine will be stalled

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes I intend to remove the turbo, as it appears the cheapest option (and safest).

BTW runaway engine can be stopped with 5th gear and releasing the clutch. Engine will be stalled

What part of this dont you understand. Yea I have had to an other ms as well but it's a risky dangerous thing. Do you have a good clutch? You have a neat 20 year old worn down failing car. The clutch is probably at its limit. Most of us who have been able to stall it had updated clutches.
You seem it have a solution for everything without understanding what your actually saying.
Just fifth ? 4th will also work but good luck in 1 to 3. It can be done but depending on the severity of the runaway you could be forced to drop it into neutral and watch it burn. Ask yourself how often are you actually in 5th? It's less time than you think. What if your at a traffic jam or a stop light and it goes off and your clutch starts to slip as it probably will based on how much oil your eating. Think about this. The oil is basically diesel fuel and how much fuel do you use at full wot? It's actually about mid 20's gallons per hour. When you have a runaway you usually have like 1 minute maybe more. Usually less. So that's 4 to 5 quarts a minute lol. MUCH MORE FUEL. = MUCH MORE POWER
I had one happen at 4th gear and in about 20 seconds within about a quarter mile It took everything I had to stop it. E brake up and both feet on the brake with HAWKS pads on slotted and drilled rotors and sticky tires. In that time I lost about 1 quart. Make that time 1 minute and I would have starved the engine of oil and that was at 55mph in 4th gear or about 2400 rpms ish? So imagine it at full rpms when it goes. You literally have seconds. Not a very long time.
I suggest you read up and watch videos on everything you think about saying or please post your sources because you just have no clue.
This is also assuming your in gear when it happens and most of the time it happens but you dont know because your accelerating and getting ready to shift. Soon as you take it out of gear your done. It's over. By by engine and hello reality. .

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I sense bait being tossed about and someone laughing as it gets gobbled up

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
BTW - my work with PD engines and run away was at idle with the hood up. I cannot say for certain that same would happen (or that the ECM could catch it fast enough) while driving at highway speed and high(er) RPM.

I do know for fact you can spray a combustible into the intake and watch the ASV flap flutter and shut as the ECM tries to limit RPM. BUT I have also seen a couple that scared me because RPM did rise further with the flap shut - air was coming from somewhere? Maybe through EGR system?

Also the oil is going somewhere - if the shaft seal is failed it maybe pumping it out the exhaust (and cat). Small leak now may suddenly become a gush if the seal blows out (possible?) or the shaft breaks.

Also there is real possibility of engine ingesting debris if/when the turbo grenades.

So my original advise stands - park it and drive the other car while you save up.

Jason

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh, and I've seen a "run away" diesel over speed in a second or two. Some take a little while and you can catch it, but if you are accelerating and go to grab a gear and RPM takes off - you probably won't get it back in gear and stopped before the damage is done.

Jason

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Under his username next to his posts it says 2005 Beetle which would be a PD. BEW IIRC. Not to mention his user name is BeetlePD.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I HAVE ZERO INTEREST IN HEARING FROM HEARING NON- mechanics. Keep quiet because you have ZERO experience in TDI repair. You know as little (as I do) about TDIs. I wish to hear from PROFESSIONALS not random forum posts

Okay, I am a journeyman industrial mechanic, and have also trained as an auto mechanic (in college/technical school). I can, and have, rebuilt a PD TDI engine, as well as removed and replaced turbos several times. In fact, I could easily take apart the entire car, and every component, and put it back together. As an industrial mechanic (millwright) I fabricate all sorts of parts through machining, welding, etc, out of various materials such as titanium, steel, plastics, polymers, etc, for a variety of equipment. Whatever I suggest to you will be accurate and useful information.

First thing I must ask is if it is at all conceivable that you might be able to replace the turbo yourself (to save money)? What kind of work have you done on cars before? Do you have tools? I need to know where we're at before I can make a viable suggestion on what to do.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I HAVE ZERO INTEREST IN HEARING FROM HEARING NON- mechanics. Keep quiet because you have ZERO experience in TDI repair. You know as little (as I do) about TDIs. I wish to hear from PROFESSIONALS not random forum posts

Then go somewhere else . This is a free post forums. We can post (anyone can) just because I'm not a epic diesel guru mechanic does not mean I do not have experiance. I've worked as a mechanic for some years on diesels ( mostly larger diesels and some TDIs)

Only a fool listens to what they want to hear.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Then go somewhere else and or just ignore and ommit reading posts you chose to dislike and keep your attitude at the door. This is a free post forums. We can post (anyone can) just because I'm not a epic diesel guru mechanic does not mean I do not have experiance. I've worked as a mechanic for some years on diesels ( mostly larger diesels and some TDIs) and I dknt think there are many of us here that have read most of these forums posts. For a year I had 6 hours to do nothing but watch my son while he sleeps so he wont die and all I did was read these forums and work on my build specs.

Only a fool listens to what they want to hear.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
..................snip.........................

Yea, you're not going to get that in any car forum I've ever seen. There are pay services, but TDI mechanics might be rare.
You might find a member who runs that set-up (sans turbocharger). We do have some members who are professionals (Oilhammer is one), but they're hard to identify without a ton of reading.
It's social media, but there's no reason to get nasty. We try and put on the thick skin.
Pull it, plumb it, tune it, you're all set.

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
I was replying to Geobmx4life (not you) because he incorrectly used the word “runaway” for a guest poster’s TDI (that did Not runaway). And yes I am grumpy. I lost my mom in August, and put my dad in a home. Three weeks ago some thief smashed my Honda windshield and stole my spare tire, brake rotors, and a bunch of oil bottles. Almost $2000 loss. If I catch the idiot I will pepperspray him. Now my Beetle is broken
Jow far in pa are you. I'll install it for $150 bucks plus travel fuel and maybe a beer or two. lol
Thank you very much for that generous offer! Unfortunately the broken TDI is in California, and I don’t know if it would be safe to drive it 3000 miles to my PA home. I’m just letting it sit for now.

you can make about $3,500 a year donating plasma regularly
I had no idea they paid for it. My dad always donated for free. I will give it a try. I could make an extra $80,000 between now and retirement age.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yea, the numbers Mongler posted were better than any part time job, he does have a rare blood type.

Status
Not open for further replies.