www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old March 15th, 2019, 07:01   #1
randomguyfor1

TDI(s): VW Golf 4
Default Leaking power steering fluid

Hello!

I have a Vw Golf 4 TDI and my power steering fluid is leaking by the front right tire. I want to know how I could fix the leak and how much it would cost.

Thank you!
randomguyfor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2019, 08:47   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

How could anyone over the internet possibly answer this question?

That is the same as posting on a dental forum "Hi, I have a toothache, what is wrong and how much will it be to remedy?"
Old March 15th, 2019, 09:03   #3
randomguyfor1

Sunshine, if for some reason you could not realise that I'm not experienced with cars whatsoever and that I want to solve this issue as cheaply as possible, then I don't know why you would even reply to my question.
Old March 15th, 2019, 09:12   #4
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

His point is that nobody can tell you how to fix this problem. You have provided no information whatsoever on what part is broken or leaking. You have tentatively identified the fluid, and even the general location, but there are deficiencies.

1) Is the 'right' side determined by right as looking at the car standing in front of it or as sitting in the driver's seat? The second is correct, so it is the passenger side as determined by most all civilized countries.

2) what component is broken? We can't tell exactly what is leaking. It could be the power steering pump, it could be a pipe running from <somewhere> to <somewhere else> which would affect which line to purchase, it could be the PS fluid reservoir. If you are that inexperienced with cars, are you sure it isn't someone with a bad cold leaving something behind on the pavement?

Not trying to be overly critical, but really, no photos, no real explanation, and with someone admittedly not familiar with cars, then trying to help is nearly impossible.

Your best bet is to find someone local that knows vehicles and get their help.

Good luck,

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2019, 14:20   #5
randomguyfor1

Don't you think that if I knew where the leak was i wouldn't fix it myself?
All I know is that the leak is somewhere by the front right tire seen as sitting in the driver's seat, where the power steering fluid reservoir is. There is also air coming into the reservoir (there are bubbles). How do I know that power steering fluid is leaking? Easy, I keep on having to refill it.
Old March 22nd, 2019, 00:44   #6
Enormex

If you don't know the difference between a bus driver and a screwdriver you should leave it unless you have no issues potentially destroying it or gettin hurt.
Enormex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2019, 06:08   #7
munly
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-42

maybe the bubbles you're seeing is actually in the coolant reservoir. maybe your pouring power steering fluid into the coolant reservoir. maybe your head gasket is leaking. maybe you're not going to get a serious answer until you provide some more detailed information and/or photos. there are many people on this forum that would be happy to help you.
munly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2019, 06:56   #8
iluvmydiesels
Veteran Member

TDI(s): AHU
Fuel Economy: mk3 ~43mpg

wow, still posts cutting on the guy. he's here for help, i dont know the layout of a 4 p/s system. try to trace leak, is it the pump? one of the hoses or connections going to, coming from the pump?
here in the US we have several suppliers we can get parts from, for pumps you can find a few, most for good prices, doesnt mean that cheap. power steering parts and major parts cost some, and take some doing to install. i suppose the pumps you can find work ok.
the rack is further under the car, if blown it could leak fluid, and, i suppose it could run down the tie rod. that would tend to be by the back of the tire its self, not as likely tho. pump or in that area(??). such as a connection, hose, or other.
iluvmydiesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2019, 20:49   #9
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

^^^Your post further details the impossibility of diagnosing where the leak is coming from without photos OR a good description (visual) by the OP. "...by the right front tire..." just isn't enough information.
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
2017 Ford Energi Titanium, purchased 12/15/18
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote