2014 Passat TDI SEL Economy

johnnyrotten

TDI
2014 PASSAT TDI SEL
I used to own a 2003 Jetta ALH and had the timing belt changed, the ventectomy and a couple tune up mods done by Jason up in PJ NY. What a great person and mechanic he is!! With that car I was getting on a good day almost 53 mpg. And an Average of 49.9. I felt that was awesome. Now I am the owner of a 2014 PASSAT TDI SEL and in the 31k miles driven I average 40.2 and am getting around 37 per tank most of the time. MY question is are there any mods or tunes that can increase my mileage?? I'm looking for somewhere in the 45 to 47 MPG range?? Who in the Phoenix Az. area is capable of such things. Am I a dreamer or is this possible? I also understand that VW messed with the computer settings and made the emissions read better than they really were. I'm wondering if and when VW does the recall for emissions how that will effect the mileage. Currently running my tire pressure around 45 psi and drive mostly the speed limit. The best I ever did was 51mpg, but that was from Flagstaff Az. to phoenix mostly down hill in optimal conditions and on the other hand on the way to Flag all uphill we averaged 42 mpg. Mind you that trip is only around 220 miles. Taking a road trip in a few days....... back to New Jersey and am very curious to see what kind om mileage I get on that. Hey Any help will be deeply appreciated!! Thanks

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
The Passat TDI - looking at Fuelly.com - is capable of some impressive fuel numbers. I have a clutch and this helps up the mpg factor. Our TDI's torque curve show a flat max plateau from 1750 to about 2500. That's where I try to operate. City driving - as you know - hurts. On the freeway, things take a sharp upward turn.

The cheapest mod you can put to work is behavior modification (It's probably going to be a challenge).

YMMV (good luck here)

ez

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Your Passat has 50 more HP, 85 more lb/ft of torque, in a significantly heavier car with a larger frontal area. It's not going to get the same FE as an ALH. You can improve it however with a good tune. I'd strongly recommend contacting Rocketchip (call, don't email) and get a tune when you're back this way. He's in PA. He's been doing some very interesting stuff that improves economy and emissions system longevity without removing any hardware or affecting your ability to pass emissions tests.