Visting Prius Owner

bwilson4web

TDI
17 Prius Prime, 14 BMW i3-REx
. . . The availability of the standard model tipped the balance? . . .
Yes. I was taking a nap and woke up 3 hours after the $35k Model 3 announcement. So within an hour, I put my $2.5 deposit in on a 220 mi, Model 3:
  • +$1.5k metalic blue paint - it will be easily seen in a parking lot. I would prefer white to reduce heating in the South but not at $2.5k. I'll continue to park in the shade.
  • +$3k current Autopilot - the driver assist functions of dynamic cruise control, lane following, 360 view safety, for safer driving. Tesla reports a 2-to-1 reduction in Tesla accidents and a 6-to-1 ratio relative to NHTSA statistics. It is also a 5-star, safety car in every category.
  • No $3k - electric seats, +20 mi range, and audio do not match our requirements. The 180-220 mi EV range, 2.5-3 hrs, means we'll be taking 30 minute charging and rest stops frequently so we won't be 'living' in our car.
Bob Wilson

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Did they give you a delivery date? Did they push that date back?

Been hearing rumors of delivery-date shenanigans ... not that this should surprise anyone.
Bob posted a pic on Priuschat picking up the 3.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Nice. Congrats, Bob! I hope to be getting one of the $35k versions sometime within the next 6 months. A rebate coming soon to my state tipped the balance for me.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Nice. Congrats, Bob! I hope to be getting one of the $35k versions sometime within the next 6 months. A rebate coming soon to my state tipped the balance for me.
You're going to love it. If timing works out, you might be able to take delivery before the tax credit takes its next step down on July 1st.

bwilson4web

TDI
We no longer own a Prius or any Toyota.
We traded in our 2017 Prius Prime Plus for the Model 3 and got $18,300. This also reduced the amount subject to sales tax.
My original order required financing $22,800 for the base Model 3. In coordination with the nearest Toyota store, we got a 'demo', next higher trim Model 3 for $21,905.

Bob Wilson

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Ahh. That explains how you actually got one ... it isn't the base model (that they don't appear to have built any of, before cancelling)!

Looks good from here.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tesla has indeed built and delivered base model 3's. They haven't been canceled. Lots of misinformation in the press. They merely removed the base model from online ordering. So a phone call or visit to a Tesla store is required to order them currently.

That model 3 is a beauty in blue. Quite a contrast to the Toyota.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
They did some weird stuff with a "SR" and a "SR+" ... the "SR" ended up being a "SR+" that is limited in software. Don't know how many actual SRs they built before doing that, but it can't have been many. Not much time passed between start-of-production of the long-anticipated standard-range model, and the removal of the ability to order it online (and the switch to being a software-limited SR+).

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, they switched things up a bit. But now the 35k base model comes with a nicer interior, the glass roof, and a few other things it wasn't going to have originally.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
From what I've seen of the first SR deliveries, they had the SR+'s partial premium interior (although I haven't spent much time looking in the Model 3 subforums over on TMC, I usually look more in the investor forum), so I wouldn't be surprised if no production true SRs exist.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, as someone interested in the 35k model, I'm pretty stoked to be able to get all of those extra features at no additional cost.

Last edited:

bwilson4web

TDI
Some of the early reports are that the software limits have yet to be applied to the SR.

The funny thing is if you combine dealer practices with the GM, Ford, and FCA, their dealer+manufacturer behavior is still worse than Tesla's sales and marketing efforts.

One example that I approve, Tesla has made AutoPilot standard across the board and adjusted prices. So Tesla, Honda, and Toyota have made the driver assistance, safety features of AutoPilot across the board. With 2,000 miles, I throughly agree with this approach.

Bob Wilson

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Well, I suppose it's okay from the perspective of someone who actually wants Autopilot. (Personally, I want nothing to do with it, and therefore having to pay for it with no choice in the matter isn't a "good" on the "good/bad" scale.)