2014 Passat TDI SEL

JonLla84

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium
Hey gang,

Tomorrow morning Ill be going to negotiate a deal to finance the last 14 on the lot, a black on black Passat TDI premium...

If the sticker is around 33k, do you have any input as to how much they may be willing to knock off the tag to help make the deal happen? ill have about a 3-4k trade in that i want to use AFTER i settle on the price of the car...

I want to mention i bought my last vw from the same dealer so hopefully the loyalty can be used as insentive to drop the cost to around 27 or 28...

Please offer thoughts and advice... Thanks!

barshnik

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE w/roof, nav
I doubt they'll drop anywhere near that low (not counting trade in), but no telling. Good luck.

JonLla84

Veteran Member
TDI
I went to truecar.com and put in the SEL premium model and albeit it tells you all the costs people paid, it says i could get this model for 28500 right now... Not sure what that means and why... but i printed it out...

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT / Opera Red
Check out consumer reports car buying page too. And amex.

Both came in cheaper for me than truecar.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Those lower prices don't help much if there aren't any other cars in the region. Check out what else is out there before you start negotiating.

Sinner

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I agree with all what it's been said here. Check who has a similar car around, leave the lot if they don't go your price, go late in the day and late in the week, check all those good websites...

Good luck!

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Are you using VW's financing?

I went and looked at Special Offers at VW.com and put in a zip code for Miami since you are listed as south Florida, which should be close enough.

Offers are 0% APR and $1K Mastercard. I didn't see it in the fine print, but USUALLY, you can get an additional $1K/$1.5K off of the price of the vehicle if you don't use VW's financing. However, 0% is pretty tough to beat if you've got a 700 (Or close to it) score.

So, with that in mind, you should be able to get the price of the car down a bit, probably looking between $30-31K, and POSSIBLY an additional $1K off of that price if you don't use VW's financing.

The $1K Mastercard is completely out of the deal. Do not let the dealer sucker you in to thinking that "That's why we can't go any lower on the price of the car" type of BS. That's a rebate from VW directly to you after the fact, no matter what you pay for the car.

Invoice price on a 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium with no options is $32,570. If I could get the price of the car anything less than $31K with 0% and the $1K Mastercard, I'd feel I got a good deal. If you bring your own financing, I'd look for a price closer to or slightly under $30K with the Mastercard.

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd get n print certificate from truecar and you will get a call from dealer (probably) after printing cert. Ask them you need email showing price after tax, doc fee, tags, title (out the door) itemized.

See if they send you a price based on 28.5 cert cost, then go get it. Do not let them talk you into fabric protectors, door guards, nut protectors, magic paint shields, etc.

You can research and buy a VW easy drive extended warranty later.

A 2015 will have about $1500 more in value if sold in 3-5 years. So $1000 off invoice is a money loser. 1500 off and you could wait get a 2015 the colors you want and the new engine. $2000 or more okay if you don't have a thing for the ea288 engine. $2500 and up ... Getting tasty.

Given 15 Passat is to much of USA the same old car as 12/13/14 they ain't gonna be flying off shelves and other than maybe the first batch that hits the lot they will be bring sold cheap soon enough. Disclaimer I do not have a crystal ball.

28.5/29 sounds about right.

Last edited:

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
Also don't go in to negotiate. Once you're there they will dick you around.

Call talk to sales person after you've printed cert. Get email with their price quote go in and expect to pay that if not walk and oh well wasn't meant to be.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Everything dzcad90 and czeetah said. As I bought two Passats within 6 months a lot of this is still fresh.

This is a three part deal: the discount off MSRP, the trade in value (not part of any discount off MSRP), and financing (not part of any discount off MSRP). In that order. The gift card is an after-deal extra from VW. The sales shark will try to blend in all three parts of the deal and the gift card to inflate the deal.

After you agree to the final price the financing shark will try you for all those annoying extras: extended warranty, paint protection, fabric protection, loan insurance, gap insurance, etc. I find dealing with the financing shark the most annoying part of buying a car.

Fees: Some are not negotiable as sales tax (state laws vary about how sales tax is calculated when trading in a car), destination fee, title, tags, etc. There will be extras fees as floor planning, advertising, etc that might be negotiable.

In your favor: the 2015s will be out very soon if not already. Everybody knows dealers hate left over models. Play a better deal off a 2014 vs a 2015. Tell them you are willing to wait to see a 2015. Play the available colors & options vs exactly what you want. No matter whats on the lot, it's not quite what you want. Play them for a dealer trade or buying at another dealer. I used both tactics and they cut to the chase faster in lowering their offers.

Be prepared to say you need a better deal and walk out the door. It's a buyers market and there is ALWAYS another car for sale somewhere.

How it usually works, after the deal is made the sales tax and fees push the price of the car almost back up to the MSRP excluding your trade in value and any cash you add.

Good luck.

:)

Last edited:

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I only have one dealer where I live so I used truecar to find the "local" price, which wasn't even at my dealer. Then I used other major city's zipcodes within driving distance to get their pricing and found the lowest price within 3.5 - 4 hour drive. I used that price, plus an email confirm to get my local dealer to match. After the initial test drive, all my other contact with my salesman was via text or email - no need to waste time at the dealer. I kept it very low key. For a TDI SEL Premium, you should be able to negotiate (without a trade) a price below $30k incl dealer handling/prep, but before tax and dmv. Then throw in your trade, but you'll only get actual wholesale value. You might be better off to sell your trade-in yourself.

JonLla84

Veteran Member
TDI
Even if all I get is 3k for my trade in, id do it to save myself the time and stress of trying to sell privately...

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
id hold steady on 28k as your doing them a favor- everyone knows the 2015's will be flooding the lots in a week :D
If you can afford a 2015 you may want to hold off, the EA288 should be pretty darn sweet

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
or riddled with unexpected problems

So 50% of us are holding off for 2015, and 50% of us ran out and got a 2014 with the engine where we can take a guess what will break.

JonLla84

Veteran Member
TDI
Got my SEL for 28k!

415/month. Black on black. Sitting inside and feeling the leather, that sick sound system, wow.

Pics later!

JonLla84

Veteran Member
TDI
Before trade. and its 399 a month, not 415.

24k for the car, after trade, with another 3 for finance... or something like that lol.

barshnik

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE w/roof, nav
Got my SEL for 28k!

415/month. Black on black. Sitting inside and feeling the leather, that sick sound system, wow.

Pics later!
Good job! IMO the SEL has enough good stuff to make it worth the premium they charge over the SE.

keithfz

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
I literally JUST got back from VW of The Woodlands (Houston area). I negotiated a deal for a White 2014 Passat SEL with the beige interior over the weekend, all by phone and email. I had a 2006 Jetta TDI with 136K miles on it that I had towed out there last week, and it was going to cost more to repair than it was worth. It wouldn't even start.
Ended up getting the new Passat that listed at 34565 for 28761. They gave me 5000 for the Jetta, which left me with a total price of 23761, plus TTL. They were having a back to school sale that initially brought the price down to 32065, but Momentum had a black one just like the one I was looking at for the 28761 price, so Woodlands matched that price.
However, when I got there today, they said that there was something wrong with the shoulder strap or something. I'm sure they just sold the one I was looking at over the weekend, when I couldn't make it out there. So, they are having the exact same car driven down from McKinney (Dallas area) today, will detail it for me, and bring it to my office to exchange with the loaner Jetta TDI wagon they gave me to drive.
All in all, a pretty painless deal, low stress, etc. This was my first experience with VW of The Woodlands, and I'm happy with the way it turned out.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Sounds like you guys are getting yourselves some good deals. When I bought mine, July of 2013, my dealer wasn't dealing much at all. It was basically a matter of "the car will sell at this price, we don't have many available, and the TDI's keep selling out". To be fair, it was the same dealer and same spiel that I got in 2002 when I had bought my previous Passat.

I went with the SE with Sun/Nav with a few less features because I previously had problems with Climatronic in my old 2002 Passat and I wanted the old school manual controls and because I wanted to save some money each month on the payment.

Even with a trade in and 0% financing, my payment was more than $415 a month :(. That's what the dealer quoted me to lease my car for 15k a year for 3 years. My buy price with 0% was just a little bit more each month.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
If SEL Premium has a six speed MT ... I'd be in one of those!
Yep, that is a bummer. My 2002 VW Passat GLX was a 5 speed. It was nice being able to have all features as well as the manual transmission.

I however grew tired of shifting and wanted to get an automatic car again. Extremely happy with the DSG setup. Don't miss my clutch at all.

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
You can get some great deals now on a 14 TDI SEL! I paid $29,950 in early July, but I couldn't wait since my last car was totaled. Insurance gave me a great settlement - only $3,000 less than I paid for it 14 months and 24,000 miles prior.

Last edited:

JonLla84

Veteran Member
TDI
So, in regards to learning more about my new car, the dealer asked me to swing by at around 1000 miles for a checkup, etc... and that my first service is at 10k... other than that, anything else i need to know, or anything special i need to add to the car?

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
So, in regards to learning more about my new car, the dealer asked me to swing by at around 1000 miles for a checkup, etc... and that my first service is at 10k... other than that, anything else i need to know, or anything special i need to add to the car?
There is a 30 day check up I was asked to come back for - I recall them mentioning it to me when I purchased. My salesman called and I got an email reminding me. Only had about 600 miles since I went on vacation for 2 weeks shortly after I purchased. They didn't fix the right steering pull, which I did get resolved with another visit, but I did receive a VW safety kit with gloves, battery cables and a few other items, all inside a triangular shaped zip up pack that I now keep in the trunk. On the dealer's website, they list this accessory kit for $55. I thought it was a nice touch.