Advise on A3 2.0TDI purchase

borat-tdi

TDI
2000 Bora ALH
Hi, Im currently looking at buying a 2004 Audi A3 2.0TDI 140. Im pretty sure its a BKD engine, problem is im not very clued up with the 2.0tdi at all. Ive been reading around and there seems to be multiple issues with this range of engines. So far i have gathered that the BKD has a week cylinder head due to bad casting, injector issues but does not have the oil pump chain problem, are these all correct?

The car i am looking at, i have seen it running but not to check over, he comes into the garage where i work and i have driven it into the garage and thats about it. I did notice that on idle it has a slight misfire as i would appear. The car seems to shake just a little bit, go away then come back again, it does that over and over again but sometimes it wont do it at all. I didnt manage to get a look at the water level or anything like that because it only came in for a rattle. The car has 120.000 miles (he drives motorways alot) and i was wondering if the car is likely to have already had the cylinder head done, the other BKD engines that ive seen on the forums seem to be around 50-60k. Did audi re-manufacture a head to resolve this problem? Another thing, it also seems to give off just a little bit of smoke on start up, is this normal with these engines? I know its a diesel with high miles and its likely to give off a little bit.

Thanks