www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old February 4th, 2020, 11:15   #5431
prsa01
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebain21 View Post
I don't think it was the battery at all, it definitely seemed like it ingested water because it was running and died a few seconds later and then wouldn't attempt to even turn over right after that. I believe I've read that if the resistance is too high on the starter, it prevents it from attempting to turn over to save the starter and prevent fires.

Update on my vehicle: The dealer found moisture in the charge air pipe and is installing the cold weather intercooler kit under warranty. Hopefully that solves it, I may try to find a winter front next winter as well.
Was this cpo or emissions warranty? Please let me know here or via pm which dealer. I'd like to find one willing to install this tsb.

Thanks
Old February 4th, 2020, 11:47   #5432
ebain21

I'm picking it up Wednesday. I'll let you know. I do have both, but the emissions warranty does state that it covers the charge air cooler so I'm going see if I can save $50 and not use the CPO warranty. Didn't see you were in Minneapolis... It was VW Inver Grove. It seemed like the only evidence they needed for warranty was moisture in the charge air cooler.
ebain21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2020, 05:44   #5433
ebain21

Last update (for now): Picked the car up, cold weather kit and intercooler, plus a dealer rental for two days were covered under the extended emissions warranty.
ebain21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2020, 17:14   #5434
Swinging Steel

Fuel Economy: 50-NMS, 43-Wagon

Had a no start Saturday morning. 4th or 5th time this has happened. Instead of fight through it, we had it towed to VW this morning. Even after sitting 2 days, it didn't start for them either. They found moisture in the charge air pipe, and proceeded to replace the intercooler with the updated intercooler among a couple of other parts. We picked it up tonight, and all seems well. Covered under warranty...except the tow. Call it a $180 intercooler replacement.
Swinging Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2020, 02:34   #5435
LuckyK

I got the kit installed on my 2012 golf in 2019. It has been working fine so far but a warning: the TSB doesn’t explicitly call for a software update afterwards. My car started acting terrible as soon as I picked it up (felt like intermittent power loss and fuel economy tanked). I called the dealer the next morning and they said just watch it. Two days later CEL came on. Dealer then told me I needed a new EGR. I said, no, this has to do with the winter kit. So they got on the phone with VW and found out about the software update. It immediately started performing better. And they still did the EGR for me lol (warranty)
LuckyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2020, 06:36   #5436
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinging Steel View Post
Had a no start Saturday morning. 4th or 5th time this has happened. Instead of fight through it, we had it towed to VW this morning. Even after sitting 2 days, it didn't start for them either. They found moisture in the charge air pipe, and proceeded to replace the intercooler with the updated intercooler among a couple of other parts. We picked it up tonight, and all seems well. Covered under warranty...except the tow. Call it a $180 intercooler replacement.
The tow should be covered by VW roadside. Part of the emissions settlement. Submit it to your VW dealer.
Old February 25th, 2020, 17:38   #5437
Swinging Steel

Fuel Economy: 50-NMS, 43-Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
The tow should be covered by VW roadside. Part of the emissions settlement. Submit it to your VW dealer.
I didn't see any language in the paperwork that indicated the cost of a tow would be covered. When I asked them about it upon picking up the car, the response was "can't help you with that."
Swinging Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2020, 21:04   #5438
Loafing
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.2l/100km (54.3mpgImp/45.2mpgUS) avg on 233,000km as of Nov 2018 (light footed)
Default Hydrolock & leaking gasket on intercooler hose

A note of contrition here after bringing in car because (not flashing) engine light came on.

Spoke with mechanic who found the intercooler hose pipe gasket was leaking and may have caused the mil. Had a candid discussion about my hydrolock and was told the proper thing to do is have the car towed to the garage. Risk of bent con rod is there even when my "work-around" below is deployed. So, if your battery can't turn it over, call the hook....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafing View Post
Posted this in the section 2.0 Gen 1 post fix impressions, issues, etc.

740GLE explains my experience very well....

About a week ago(Nov 22), had a full blown "hydrolock" on starting 2009 Jetta TDI with 245k. Happened this bad only once before, many yrs ago. The engine stumbled and died on first attempt to start. Subsequent attempt, battery could not turn over engine. Jumped battery in second car but still wouldn't turn over & realized the dreaded slurpy was ingested. After many short bursts on the starter, engine turned over & fired on some of the cylinders & died a few times before it would stay lit. After a while, all smoothed out & no after effects, in fact did an 1800km run up north & back. Battery is in it's 10th year so thought that was the issue until I scrolled back in the memory banks to the previous event.

I am assuming cylinders had only taken in enough liquid to boost compression so high starter motor couldn't turn over the engine.

My measured fuel consumption is up 10% post fix (mfd understates fuel consumption 10%).

Not impressed...
Loafing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2020, 13:19   #5439
bmor89

TDI(s): 2013 Golf

Just wanted to share my experience with my 2013 TDI - add it to the list I guess. I purchased my certified pre-owned 2013 TDI Golf in March of 2019. My first winter with the car, and have had countless hard starts and one full hydrolock. Had the VW prescribed "fix" installed in November of 2019 following my first hard start, rough idle and loss of power. In February 2020 I had a complete hydrolock and had the car towed to the dealership. Now, a couple weeks later, I have had the same hard starts and very rough idles on two separate occasions. Dealership has told me there is nothing more they can do so I've contacted VW Canada but my expectations are low after having read through much of this thread. Has anybody actually been able to get some satisfaction out of VW? As far as I'm concerned they should buy the car back. I've had enough of these bandaid solutions to get us to the warmer months when condensation becomes less of an issue.

Last edited by bmor89; March 22nd, 2020 at 13:43.
bmor89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2020, 16:49   #5440
Carl Ulli

Fuel Economy: Usually about 1000KM per tankful in the 'new' 2012 when I first got it. Now, after the fix and with 240K KMs on it, it is 950-ish between fillups.
Default Here is what I did:

I have known about this problem for quite some time but had few instances of it happening to my car. (2012 Jetta with the CJAA engine) Well it happened to me this weekend. I had been visiting in-laws yesterday, had the full hydrolock, so I left it and got home by another way. Overnight the water that was in the combustion chambers would have frozen but I got it home after waiting to let the ice thaw. I hoped that there was not too much in there and that some of it would have leaked down past the piston rings. So I tried cranking it over and sure enough it did. It still needed a lot of cranking to get ignition because of all the moisture but it finally did run. When I removed the IC hose I got about an ounce of water out. Not the 2 1/2 cups like others have found. This might be a significant fact to some of you folks reading this.
So, with the IC hose off I grooved out a space for a metal ball point pen cartridge to cause a small "leak". The pen cartridge is about an inch and 3/8 long, deburred to prevent damage to the hose, and it keeps the hose from sealing to the IC charge pipe. While the engine is running there is occasionally a spray of water mist, and when not running the water can drip out. I did it this way so that if I need to I can reverse this mod back to normal. Time will tell if the little metal tube (pen cartridge) will clog up.
The following photos will tell the rest of the story.
(Sorry, I'm stuck. I can't get the photos on here.)

Last edited by Carl Ulli; March 22nd, 2020 at 17:19. Reason: I thought I could add 3 photos but don't remember how, so I described it in words instead.
Carl Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2020, 16:11   #5441
Carl Ulli

Fuel Economy: Usually about 1000KM per tankful in the 'new' 2012 when I first got it. Now, after the fix and with 240K KMs on it, it is 950-ish between fillups.

Well Guys, it is one day later and, although the car started and ran really well, I will have to reverse this modification back to normal. As the EGR opened up, seemingly, I began to smell exhaust fumes. Even through that very tiny hole!
So to those of you who were considering drilling a hole for a drain - don't do it. I will have to make up a setup with a ball cock valve and a control rod just like 2micron did.

Last edited by Carl Ulli; March 31st, 2020 at 11:17.
Carl Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2020, 16:14   #5442
Matt927
Veteran Member

TDI(s): several

Cover your lower grille.
Matt927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2020, 11:29   #5443
Carl Ulli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Ulli View Post
Well Guys, it is one day later and, although the car started and ran really well, I will have to reverse this modification back to normal. As the EGR opened up, seemingly, I began to smell exhaust fumes. Even through that very tiny hole!
It may have actually been the smell of hot engine crankcase oil fumes, or a combination of both that and the exhaust fumes. It did not smell like that the next 3 times I drove the car and I haven't driven it since yet. (I am stuck home and not allowed to get out due to the corona virus self isolation rule.) The crankcase oil fumes smell would only happen when a droplet of oil leaks past the turbo bearing seal.
Old April 16th, 2020, 09:04   #5444
spooality

Had this happen to me 4 or 5 times this last winter in my 2012 JSW 6MT with 80k miles. The engine would start, die immediately, then take eight or so more tries to start it back up. It would run rough for about a minute, then smooth out. Took it to my mechanic here in St. Louis and was told that it's a known issue and that I could pay $1500 to fix it or just live with it. I asked if there is any risk of damaging anything if I just live with it (only happens a few times a year, only takes five minutes until it's running), and they said none at all. Now I come across this thread, and I'm wondering if I should get it done. Granted, I haven't read through all 363 pages of the thread, so maybe somewhere along the way it was determined that it's not as big an issue as it was on the first page.

So, should I get this repaired? Am I risking damaging something?

Also, It sounds like some have had success getting this repaired at a dealer under the emissions warrenty, is that correct?
spooality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2020, 10:34   #5445
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Call the nearest VW dealer and see if they will do the fix under the recall. There might be an issue with them having to witness the problem before they can fix it. I'm not sure that the VW fix totally eliminates the issues and think there are other solutions that might give you better results. As far as doing nothing, you stand the chance of injesting water into the engine, hydrolocking, and potentially bending rods.

One big thing to remember with these diesels is do not continuallt crank them trying to get it to fire. You can damage teh starter and also increase the potential of a fire by roasting the starter. Give it a try to two, and if she doesn't catch. Stop and wait. It might be a few minutes or a few hours. It really depends on where you are and where you're trying to get to when it doesn't start.