MKIV TDI vs. MKVI TDI (back to back comparison, etc.)

ibid

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Red
Well, now that I've lived with my 2010 TDI Golf for a few months and almost 1300 miles, I thought I'd point out some things because yesterday I went to pick up my mom's 2002 Jetta TDI (old skool 90hp TDI) because it needs new tires and an oil change.

So I have to say I love my new TDI Golf... It isn't as powerful as my former R32 obviously BUT it has enough torque and power to get out of it's own way easily enough along with decent passing power on the highway. Not to mention I get 44mpg during my morning commute (I'm working a 3 month contract until june right now).

When I got back into my mom's 2002 TDI I was overwhelmed by 'ICK' (no easy way to put it).

1st thing was the STINKY diesel upon startup along with the telltale diesel clatter (meanwhile you can put your nose right up to my 2010 tailpipe and not get even a hint of diesel fumes along with a very quiet engine that has only a hint of diesel sound to it!)

2nd thing was I put it in reverse and pressed the gas and NOTHING.. I was like what is wrong.. oh yeah, not as much power.. lol.. Okay, so I backed it out of the garage and got fumigated by diesel fumes (oh joy!).

..then the same thing driving, could hear the diesel engine above even the radio at a normal volume AND total lack of power in comparison to my 2010. Obviously there are going to be differences between automatic and manual but sheesh, I have my doubts about the 2002 manual TDI being that much faster... I think the bottom line is 90hp is 90hp and stinky old startup diesel smell is stinky old startup diesel smell!

mpg my mom reported the best she saw was 48mpg on a road trip to/from Phoenix with all highway (my 44mpg in my morning commute involves surface streets mixed with highway so I don't have pure highway to report YET!)

Oh, I love what they have done with the redesign of the exterior and exterior and despite not initially wanting bluetooth, I must admit I have been using it a ton and really like it now.. I'd be lost without my steering wheel controls and really like having Sirius integrated along with the big antenna gone! It's funny how quickly you adapt and get spoiled by all the upgrades!

I immediately called my mom telling her how we need to get her into a newer TDI but she wouldn't hear of it.. She loves her Jetta and has no intention of getting rid of it.. lol... She has yet to get a ride in my TDI much less drive one of the DSG models (she doesn't drive manual cars).

Kudo's to VW for this new generation! I have no regrets with my purchase!

Stirer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray GLS
Bring it on. I have a man 2003 with RC 3 and PP 520's, SMF with VR6 clutch. Power-wise I am pretty close to you but I'm sure the newer MK VI is quieter, cleaner and all that.

Just remember it's not fair to compare a difference of 50 HP and 80 ft-lbs of torque. Plus the slushbox of your mom's 02 just sucks the torque out of the car.

Enjoy your new Golf, I am actually lusting over the idea of upgrading with a 2011 even though I only have 111k miles :) (avg for life is 44 mpg and I must be part Italian ...)

ibid

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Red
Yes.. in case it wasn't clear, I was comparing 100% stock to 100% stock and automatic to manual (since my mom doesn't drive a stick)

Stirer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray GLS
No worries, just having fun with you and as a reminder of what could be done to the MK-IV's for power and mine is very mild on perf. upgrades.

The main thing is to enjoy the car and drive. They are meant to be driven.

Mat

TDI
MK6 Golf TDI Highline (ordered)
I know exactly what you mean!

I had to drive my parent's 2003 Jetta TDI (90 hp as well) and it was a bit of a shock! The smell on startup, the overall roughness of the engine and the lack of power/torque...

They still get better fuel mileage than I do (about 100 km more per tank in average) but I'd never go back to a MKIV, even if I sometimes miss the power of my unitronic 1.8T, the new MK6 chassis is so much better in everyway.

My dad really liked my car though, but their jetta is still in good shape and only has a bit more than 120k miles, so I think he still wants to keep it a couple years.

ibid

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Red
my mom got 17 years out of her 85 Jetta and plans on 20 years with her 02 Jetta as of right now (according to her anyway)

At least it spends most of it's life in a garage in chicago or phoenix so it won't get rusty (winter's in phoenix)

TOCleanDieselWag

TDI
2017 BMW 328d M Sport Touring (Wagon)
I agree as well with the comparison. Our older Jetta is a 5-speed, and actually does quite well once at highway speed, but the new car would leave it in the dust...

Still, we love the older car, and have no intentions of selling it. It's got almost 150,000 kms on it, so it's closing in on 100,000 miles.

ibid

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Red
..and my mom's 02 is such a baby with 38k miles since it's a bit of a
'long haul' commuter car (chicago/phoenix) 2x a year ;) ...about to make the trip again in May actually....

Mattholew

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
I test drove my new Golf on Friday, on Saturday morning I was driving back to the dealership to pick up a part for my 2004. It felt like something was wrong with it and was not making power. More than likely it was just that I got spoiled driving the 2010 the day before. Ended up trading in the 2004 and went home with a shiny new 2010 Golf. I'm loving it. Its what I have wanted in my TDI's since I started buying them.

ibid

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Red
What a great story..

...I've been trying to talk my mom into trading up to a JSW (have to drag her to a dealership for a test drive) but my parents have been commenting how they really need more room to haul stuff in a TDI but don't want an SUV so the SportWagen would be PERFECT!

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
On a side note....if you want to appreciate a Mk4 better....

Last year I spent 6 weeks on the tiny caribbean island of Bonaire, where the max. speed limit is only 38mph. (60kph) So the vehicles down there didn't need to be powerful. I spent 4 weeks in a 1.3L Suzuki Samurai and 2 weeks in a 4-door Mazda B2200 pickup with a very small wheezy gas engine of unknown displacement. Getting home, my 10-year-old Golf with 270k miles felt like a Mercedes! :) (both in ride quality and in power)

mrfeb14

TDI
formerly 2000 Jetta GLS
My partner has a 09 JSW TDI with DSG and I just recently acquired at 2000 Jetta with the 1.9 with 5speed manual. I will agree the new engine is great and powerful, as I find myself driving it on the weekends. but my new-to-me MKIV isn't half bad, especially considering I was driving an 85 Mercedes 300SD tank. The 2000 Jetta seems like a jackrabbit compared to that. :p