emissions workshop message

sleze

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon, 2005, Shadow Blue - DECEASED
Last night leaving a concert, my car out of the blue beeped and gave me an emissions workshop message on my dashboard and the CEL lit up. This morning it is still going on.

I haven't tried running diags on it yet but does anyone know what it could possibly be(give me a direction to look)? As far as I can tell, the car is running no differently than before I got the message.

sleze

Veteran Member
TDI
I just ran vagcom and it threw the following error:

Address 01: Engine
Part No: 038 906 016 R
Component: R4 2,0L EDC G000AG 6416
Coding: 0150034
Shop #: WSC 05314

1 Fault Found:
17058 - Cylinder 4 Glow Plug Circuit (Q13): Electrical Fault
P0674 - 000 - -
Readiness: N/A

#1 - is this serious?
#2 - should I clear the error code?
#3 - is this a warranty issue?
#3b - if not covered, is changing a glowplug a difficult process?

TooMuchBoost

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
No. Your #4 glow plug is bad and it costs about $25 anywhere other than VW (about $50 there).

Mine seems to eat the #3 every 20K.

It should be a warranty issue but it doesn't hurt to know how to DIY. It takes a deep 10mm socket and 5 minutes at the most.

The glow plugs are on the fuel filter/driver's side of the motor and they have what looks like spark wires going to each one. Pull the #4 (near firewall) glow plug wire then remove the plug. They aren't in there super tight and I use a 1/4" drive ratchet with a 8" extension when I do mine. A magnetic 'antenna' is helpful getting it out but not required.

Last edited:

sleze

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanx for the info. I will probably change it tomorrow. It is funny that startups have been slow on occassion but since this error, it starts right up.

Will I need to clear the error after replacement?