regarding changing low pixel to high pixel

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
hi my 2003 golf has cluster part number 1j0 920 926c with the half m f a. i wanted to change to a full m f a with the chrome trim part number 1j5 920 946c, because of the cost i wrote to VW to make sure it would work, their reply was that it isnt suitable, that it may require more sensors for the higher spec dash, not advisable wont work! im confused i thought some on this forum did the mod and it worked? i dont whether to risk it or not

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
VW Tech Support = CLUELESS.....

I did it.. It works... Plug and Play..... Don't fret, It's a piece of Blood Pudding.....

03GOLFTDI19

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003, Silver
I have a small crack that looks to be stress related and the dealer wont replace it under warrenty. They told me "i must have hit it with something pretty hard to crack it" that made me mad. I didnt hit it it just cracked. Whats the cost on that cluster your looking at mickey?

Jake

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
I had a low pixel in my car, and now I have the high pixel.

Like Eric said...no problem at all.

L

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
heres another thing about some of the dealers, i enquired about the price of the cluster at my local dealer giving the part number, they said that there is no such part number!! i think they are all clueless, as far as i know they are expensive around 8 to 900 dollarsUS! my golf has a delta single cd radio, does the station info transmit through the can bus to the inst cluster if i got high pixel? my radio is supposed to code itself if battery is disconnected, but it doesnt do that, so im hoping it does go through the can bus

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
I don,t think US dealers are going to have access to the MFA clusters for the TDI since they are not stock parts. Their parts manual will not even show it. You can order them from England and if you check the for sale section there is a guy stationed Germany that my be able to get it for you at a reasonable price. They have gone way up due to the dollars loss on the markets.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
I don't think you will have any problem getting this done. I just purchased a high-pixel cluster to replace my existing low-pixel cluster (which replaced my OEM no-pixel cluster), and I am going to get my dealer to install this new, fancy cluster when I take the car in to have them set up the levelling on my OEM Xenons later this week.

My dealer (in Canada) had no problems at all putting in my low-pixel cluster, so I don't think they will have any problems putting in the high-pixel one. The dealers have a fancy VAG tool with a LCD display screen on it (VAG-1551?) - this pretty much prompts them through the whole process. Just be sure to take all three car keys with you when you get the cluster changed, they need all the car keys to do some kind of adaptation to the anti-theft system.

When they did the installation of my low-pixel cluster, it took them about 45 minutes to figure out what to do, then about 10 minutes to do it. Just one suggestion: Be nice to the dealer - take them the part in the sealed box, don't screw it up first trying to program it yourself, then bring a mess to them and ask them to try and sort it out (not that I am suggesting you would ever do that).

Below is a picture of the part number for the high-pixel cluster:

Part Number for High Pixel Cluster, metric measurement, chrome rings, TDI tachometer