2015 tdi ?

mag1

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, MT6, Platinum Grey; 2000 Jetta GLS, Reflex Silver
Hey guys, its been a bit since I have been on here. Sold my 2000 jetta tdi last year at 360K on it, its still running, somewhere around 380k on it now. I took the road to a Subaru outback, had issues, sold it, went to a lowly 2014 honda CR-V, which is a somewhat ok car, gets the job done, but lack luster. I find my self missing the TDI, and 640+ miles/tank vs 330ish.

So, what do you guys think of the 2015 sportwagen manual tdi's that are showing up at the dealers? any hope for the 2014's making it back on the streets? I haven't kept up with the buy back/fix/sell info. yet.

Also, if you where to buy one of the 15's, at what point would you do a tune/dpf delete/ ect...... Any info. would be helpful. Also, what should the reliability of one of these be? I had my last one roughly 15yrs, and if I had know it would last that long, I would have taken even better care of it. I put on 420 miles per week just for work.

thanks again for any info/thoughts.

pro51492

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen TDI 6sp
I am also in the same boat, miss my 09 JSW. I see that the dealers have 15 GSW manuals in but they are overpriced liked no other.

CrazyMonkey

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI SE 6M
I really like my '15 Spotwagen TDI with manual transmission. I bought mine a month before the scandal and stop sale order hit. It took me and a local dealer working for a couple of months to find an SE with the manual transmission that wasn't black (no more black cars for me). I really wanted the SEL, but apparently finding a manual transmission SEL is like finding a unicorn.

I have read both good stories and bad stories about the "new" 2015s. It would be worth spending some time looking through those threads on here to know what to look for... i.e. making sure the dealer actually did what they were supposed to before selling.

I think the jury is out on reliability. They're still pretty new, so it may be a while before any problems show up. I have not had any issues with mine.

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
The 2015 will never be a mk4 ALH. That said I prefer a tdi over the 1.8T in the mk7. There will be moments of what was I thinking down the road with the new tdi's, they are complicated period and that leads to failures and such. The court ordered warranty coverage is ample, whether VW backs it up remains to be seen. We upgraded three of our fleet to brand new 2015's, only had then for a very short period of time. They are very quiet. They drive ok. They lack the fit and finish of previous models, the paint is VERY thin, there are paint runs on the body creases, stuff previous models never had issues with. There is ample cost cutting, the torsion beam rear axle, the mini donut spare tire when a full size fits without issue. Smaller fuel tank by at least a gallon or two.
Common rail diesels are different, they seem to be hard on fuel injectors and pumps-in the few years I have had them engine noise gets louder much faster then older designs. Not from a lack of maintenance or fuel quality issues, they just plain make more noise much quicker. When failures occur they are much more expensive to repair, and parts are not easily found for certain things (like injectors, Bosch does not sell any parts to the market, only full injectors).
Will they be worse then a 1.8T or 1.4T or ??? as all modern engines get complicated and have more and more features to meet emissions? Not sure, just parts will be more scarce for the tdi being one model year only. I just drove a 1.8T 2018 Golf loaner, it was boring and automatic, used twice the fuel of the tdi on the same trip in and out of town driven in the same manner. It was not easy on gas in the city. It was nowhere near as interesting to drive as a dsg tdi, no engine braking when lifting off the throttle for one.
Personally if you have the time to deal with an older car stay in the ALH tdi and spend the coin to equip it right and live happy, a nice diesel fired coolant heater to keep warm, good tune and turbo set up, get it thoroughly refreshed and be happy-cost less then half of a mk7.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Question...
If you buy a used 2015, you will be getting the reminder of the 11 year 160,000+ mile warrenty on the engine, emissions, fuel injection, dpf, etc...
You will render it zero by doing a emissions delete....so much if the value you are paying for, you are effectively giving up...
Sure, you can wait till you run the miles up....so you don't give anything up.
Just something to think about.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I agree with the comments that they have cheapened them up.

In 2004 I paid more for my Mk4 TDI than the 2015 TDI was with even more options.

And I was paying 2004 dollars vs 2015 dollars. Taking inflation into account, it’s like the Mk4 would have been a $34,000 car today. (I looked that up with a Bank of Canada inflation calculator).

They had to cut corners somewhere. I hope it wasn’t anything important!

Everything has gone up in price, including materials, labor, energy, etc. How can they make a car with way more options, way more complexity to meet emissions, a DSG transmission, a fancy multi-media system, and it cost less than my Mk4 with manual transmission was almost 14 years ago?

pro51492

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen TDI 6sp
Well that pretty much sums it up. I will have to locate a MK6 SportWagen manual,which will probably be nearly impossible.